Page 34 of 121 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 826 to 850 of 3016
  1. #826
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,406
    Dear US, its not you, its me. Sorry

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  2. #827
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,953
    This border closure issue fascinates me, and not just the US/Canada border but the larger question of whether countries should close borders to try to stop the spread of disease. I think it is a slippery slope, particularly with the rise of nationalism in the world. In the next pandemic, rather than work together, I see countries shutting the gate with an everyone for themselves attitude. I see this sentiment spreading into immigration laws as well (I'm in favor of free movement of labor in the world, and don't like borders in general).

    I opposed the US closing borders in the beginning of the pandemic, just like the US Democrats did before they realized that wasn't the politically popular choice. As Mofro points out, delta variant has spread throughout Canada despite the closure. I always thought of Canada, and specifically, Vancouver, BC, as one of the great liberal, progressive cities of earth. I naively assumed they would share my sentiment but posters on TGR (with the polls to back their claims) have changed my view of the city and Canada in general.

    With Trump permanently damaging America's position of leadership in the world, and Europe still recovering from Brexit, other countries will look to Canada, and not the US, for guidance during the next pandemic and world crisis. Keeping borders open does not mean ignore science. You can still take other steps to try to curb the spread of disease while emphasizing we are all humans on this planet and should be working together.

  3. #828
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    17,288
    ^^^^All that is fine for refugees, but tourists can wait until shit is sorted out IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  4. #829
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    17,288
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    As far as I can see, you're another casual gerrymander from electing another fascist leader.
    Fuck Lee, I am sure many in the USA, myself included, live in terror of that. My ass is so puckered over 2022 and 2024.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  5. #830
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sun Peaks Resort
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    This border closure issue fascinates me, and not just the US/Canada border but the larger question of whether countries should close borders to try to stop the spread of disease. I think it is a slippery slope, particularly with the rise of nationalism in the world. In the next pandemic, rather than work together, I see countries shutting the gate with an everyone for themselves attitude. I see this sentiment spreading into immigration laws as well (I'm in favor of free movement of labor in the world, and don't like borders in general).

    I opposed the US closing borders in the beginning of the pandemic, just like the US Democrats did before they realized that wasn't the politically popular choice. As Mofro points out, delta variant has spread throughout Canada despite the closure. I always thought of Canada, and specifically, Vancouver, BC, as one of the great liberal, progressive cities of earth. I naively assumed they would share my sentiment but posters on TGR (with the polls to back their claims) have changed my view of the city and Canada in general.

    With Trump permanently damaging America's position of leadership in the world, and Europe still recovering from Brexit, other countries will look to Canada, and not the US, for guidance during the next pandemic and world crisis. Keeping borders open does not mean ignore science. You can still take other steps to try to curb the spread of disease while emphasizing we are all humans on this planet and should be working together.
    No world leader in their right mind will look to Canada for leadership in a crisis. Justin Trudeau did not inherit even a fraction of the intelligence of his father and JT has had more ethics violations than any Prime Minister in modern Canadian history. He lacks good judgement and is not held in high esteem by many if any world leaders.
    OTOH Joe Biden doesn't inspire confidence and seems lost without his cue cards.

  6. #831
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    33,026
    However, Ivanka wants to fuck him silly, so that’s gotta count for something, right?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  7. #832
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Delta is on the rise everywhere Canada included, per a 1 click google it accounts for 31% of cases in BC and 42% in Ontario, vs. 26% in the US. Delta (and Gamma) gunning down Alpha.

    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...nada-1.5490578

    On this side of the border my state is now 68% vaxxed 12+, my hood >85%. Why would we want to go to CA where the vax rates are sooo much lower?

    SUCK IT CANADA!!!
    Thanks. I guess my mistake was 2 clicks. Given US at 3 cases/100,00 and Canada at 2, and Delta being essentially the same the chance of a Canadian getting sick from encountering an American is the same as the risk from encountering another Canadian. The number of Americans visiting Canada in a normal year is enough to raise the population of Canada a bit, so that increases the risk slightly. From an epidemiological standpoint closing the border, requiring quarantine of Canadians returning from the US, etc, makes little sense. Canada has chosen to take a more cautious approach--witness the Stanley Cup attendance--which is their right, but it's a political decision, not a science based one.

    We saw the same entry bans between states, counties, etc within the US in the early days of the pandemic, restrictions on how far you could drive, etc. It didn't make much sense then and it doesn't now. But in times of danger fear of outsiders goes way way up.

    The history of pandemics is the history of bacteria and viruses freely crossing borders, regardless of whether or not people do.

  8. #833
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    13,591

    Canada Closed until US Gets Covid 19 Under Control

    disagree OG. much like the decision to close lagged behind science, so too does reopening because first you need to convince everyone of the best tactic and then follow through politically. complete normal. iíd argue the rules in place now make sense, just for six months to a year ago. what we know tomorrow will make our decisions foolish today so this is still just a lot of handwringing over the border which is going to open pretty soon, lagging behind the science yet again just a bit.

    eta: closing up shop like NZ did absolutely prevents the history of viruses becoming the history of your country, if thatís possible. i mean, the entire world was pretty germ free before it was forced to Ďopen upí.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  9. #834
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,406
    Wut!? Limiting the spread of peoples doesnt limit the spread of virus'? Thats some advanced science i may need to read up on

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  10. #835
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,074
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Wut!? Limiting the spread of peoples doesnt limit the spread of virus'? Thats some advanced science i may need to read up on
    It does, but only to the point where the virus is present in equal amounts in the origin and the destination and that's where Canada and the U.S. are right now.

  11. #836
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    7,556
    The open hate or dislike of America bothered me in my early thirties. Traveling and staying a bit at hostels and getting drunk with other morons who would tell me what idiots we were...most of whom had never been and didn't plan to travel to Merica. I'd try to defend Merica then, but as time rolled on I realized they were right and I was wrong. Somehow that outside lens had better eyes than my own.

    I think Canada is just treating us like we deserve to be treated. Tasting that medicine hurts maybe. But we live in a place on the verge of going full shithole country. I wouldn't let us in either

    Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

  12. #837
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,406
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It does, but only to the point where the virus is present in equal amounts in the origin and the destination and that's where Canada and the U.S. are right now.
    Ya until you add more infected people to the mix in greater density. We're happy being spread out, thanks. The town is so nice when its sleepy. Lots of space atm.Quite comforting until things are more contained.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  13. #838
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Matchbox 20
    Posts
    2,313
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    The open hate or dislike of America bothered me in my early thirties. Traveling and staying a bit at hostels and getting drunk with other morons who would tell me what idiots we were...most of whom had never been and didn't plan to travel to Merica. I'd try to defend Merica then, but as time rolled on I realized they were right and I was wrong. Somehow that outside lens had better eyes than my own.

    I think Canada is just treating us like we deserve to be treated. Tasting that medicine hurts maybe. But we live in a place on the verge of going full shithole country. I wouldn't let us in either

    Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Maybe you should hang with a different crowd. I know lots of Canadians that love America and wish we were like the US in more ways. No - they are not right and you wrong. They are jealous and conceited and arrogant pricks that like to nitpick the speck in someone else's eye.

    America is a shining light in this world. For all its foibles and problems, America is an AMAZING nation. Spit that medicine out and hold your head up. We Canadian's would not exist peacefully on this planet if it wasn't for our good neighbor. America is a passionate diverse fair country. All to be proud of. FLY THAT FLAG and sing that song.

    PS - Dear Canadians. Are you proud of Canada? Well it looks a lot like you are projecting. Get your pride back and then you will see, America is a much greater place than you imagined.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

  14. #839
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,406
    Ugly is a good dood like a lot are south of the 48. I think you just freaked him out to the level of a backwoods alabama bbq. Snakes, sparklers and carbon rotors baby!!

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  15. #840
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Matchbox 20
    Posts
    2,313
    Everything carbon. That's my motto.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

  16. #841
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Delta is on the rise everywhere Canada included, per a 1 click google it accounts for 31% of cases in BC and 42% in Ontario, vs. 26% in the US. Delta (and Gamma) gunning down Alpha.

    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...nada-1.5490578

    On this side of the border my state is now 68% vaxxed 12+, my hood >85%. Why would we want to go to CA where the vax rates are sooo much lower?

    SUCK IT CANADA!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It does, but only to the point where the virus is present in equal amounts in the origin and the destination and that's where Canada and the U.S. are right now.
    Exactly. A country like NZ with very few cases could stay that way by keeping out travelers. Restricting travel made sense at the very beginning of the pandemic--at least for places where the virus wasn't already spreading under the radar, and it has to be accompanied by strict contact tracing and isolation. If you close your borders it has to be a hard closure--Canada's restrictions--and not just for the US--are too full of holes to do any good. Trying to keep out a virus that's already in doesn't make much sense.

  17. #842
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Exactly. A country like NZ with very few cases could stay that way by keeping out travelers. Restricting travel made sense at the very beginning of the pandemic--at least for places where the virus wasn't already spreading under the radar, and it has to be accompanied by strict contact tracing and isolation. If you close your borders it has to be a hard closure--Canada's restrictions--and not just for the US--are too full of holes to do any good. Trying to keep out a virus that's already in doesn't make much sense.
    Now even the old Doctor is shitting on Canadian policy, and indirectly, Prince Trudeau.

    Just close forever Canada. We will only miss your beautiful french speaking women, eh.

  18. #843
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,588
    I agree with OG that its almost impossible to keep it out but you gotta try and get more vaxed before openning the border

    Savy Americans used to show the Canadian flag when they traveled cuz it was just easier !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #844
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Geopolis
    Posts
    13,591

    Canada Closed until US Gets Covid 19 Under Control

    Itís not like the virus is or was dispersed equally in canada. The maratimes were largely unaffected because of the strict borders. Yukon was doing well. The powers that be and maybe some of the provincial leaders probably thought it would be easier to enforce in country borders if you also werenít willing to import the virus wholesale from abroad. Itís a big place, some would even say itís bigger than the states
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  20. #845
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Now even the old Doctor is shitting on Canadian policy, and indirectly, Prince Trudeau.

    Just close forever Canada. We will only miss your beautiful french speaking women, eh.
    I'm not trying to shit on anyone. The Canadian border situation is just one example of covid policies that don't seem to have any rational basis. The US had and continues to have policies like that. People on both sides of the border want to make this an issue of "we don't like Americans" or "who do those Canadians think they are". I have no interest in any of that.

    The issue is community spread. What do people do when the virus is in their community? Like all the people partying last year in Truckee while complaining about tourists bringing the virus. It's always easier to blame someone else for your own failings.

    For the record, I'm rooting for Montreal. (And wtf is going on with Price--he was unbeatable against VGK and now all of a sudden he cant stop anything.)

  21. #846
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Do you have any sources for this? It's my understanding that this is not exactly what happened, but whatever. I really can't see this going any better than it did given that Canada is solely reliant on importing vaccines from other countries. There are other less wealthy countries who went with a single-source route and it's failing them in spectacular fashion. Canada's strategy of buying a shitton of vaccines from anyone willing to sell them is what's saving us.

    My question is this: The "drama teacher" thing gets brought up as such a zinger of an insult so often - why do the Trudeau-haters think him having other jobs before starting his political career is a bad thing? What is bad about being a teacher? Is it the subject, drama, that is so concerning? Is this why him teaching Math and French is never mentioned? Do you not think teaching is a respectable job? Considering the childish behaviour that politicians need to deal with (and dole out), it seems pretty fitting to me to have that in one's repertoire.

    And which party has a candidate who would do a better job? Is it the PC's? I really know nothing about Erin O'Toole - did he at least have a few other jobs before politics? Preferably not ones where he had to be an egotistical CEO of a mediocre company?

    EDIT: Just looked it up myself. So he was a military guy after university and flew in a Sea King helicopter at one point (the massive BALLS on this man, he's lucky to be alive!), then became a lawyer. Fuck that, I'll take the teacher-guy who also taught kids how to snowboard who seems to enjoy being involved in milquetoast scandals every 6 months.
    Why would anyone choose a trust fund raised person that has never had to work a day in his life over someone who put their life on the line for the country to run the country?



    Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

  22. #847
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Haaaa sorry pano, you wack bud. Good choice in bikes but it ends there.
    Its pretty obvious the numbers stack up for covid and measures taken. So obvious in fact that it would parallel the yearly stats that prove global warming is in fact happening but we still have deniers there too. Not much i can say other than i hope you gain some proper insight in to it as well as why you believe crazy shit

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Problem is the numbers were rigged from the start of this bullshit and it's coming out now.
    Very few people actually died from just covid and if the health care system would of had a proper protocol many of these deaths would not have happened.
    Again more people died from overdose in BC than covid in the last 18 months....


    Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

  23. #848
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,588
    Erin the tool and the cons are too far right to form a government in Canada so its gona be Trudeau again

    its tragic for sure but you can chose to not take Fentynal while you can't chose to not catch covid unless you isolate

    not that Trudeau having a trust fund and being worht 13mil has anything to do with the border being closed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  24. #849
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    11,828
    Happy Canada Day, Hosers!

    Anything actually happening?

  25. #850
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,588
    i think they lost Lytton completley
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •