Page 16 of 119 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 2973
  1. #376
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,550
    From a story from a Seattle TV station:
    “Our outbreak is being felt primarily by the unvaccinated,” said Dr. Jeff Duchin. “97% or more of current cases are among unvaccinated people. That means if you’re unvaccinated your risk of COVID-19 is actually higher now that it was last Memorial Day.”
    https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...cinated-people

    97% or more. Just think about that for a minute.

  2. #377
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    13,141
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    From a story from a Seattle TV station:

    https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...cinated-people

    97% or more. Just think about that for a minute.
    Love it!

  3. #378
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,209
    Is that carma or karma? Asking for an E friend

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  4. #379
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    If it is the case that the unvaxxed don't adversely affect the vaccinated and all they do is run the risk of increased mortality risk then I have no problem with that.

    However, I suspect that isn't the case
    My concern is that every infected person is an opportunity for COVID-19 to develop a mutation that either 1.) Increases virulence, or 2.) Confers resistance to vaccination. From that perspective, yeah, an unvaccinated person could increase the mortality of a vaccinated person.

  5. #380
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Matchbox 20
    Posts
    2,309
    If "97% or more of current cases are among unvaccinated people" then that's great. But overseas my friend in Asia saying they have many cases of fully vaccinated (Pfizer/Moderna) that have got infected but milder. We're not out of the woods IMO until 70% get both shots. As for the other 30%, let's hope they change their minds. The sooner, the better. I want to get back to licking the tables in Whistler ski lodges like I used to!
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

  6. #381
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,547
    Weird to hear such a conservative approach from all our Canuck friends here. Is your media feeding you this " we are all gonna die" bullshit? Make fun of Florida and Texas all you want for being wide open, but been to Utah yet? There's no 'Rona by the way the mormons are acting, and they and their healthcare systems are just dandy. Don't even get me started on how all our old people live in florida, and its wide fucking open. No bodies in the streets.

  7. #382
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Almost Mountains
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Weird to hear such a conservative approach from all our Canuck friends here. Is your media feeding you this " we are all gonna die" bullshit? Make fun of Florida and Texas all you want for being wide open, but been to Utah yet? There's no 'Rona by the way the mormons are acting, and they and their healthcare systems are just dandy. Don't even get me started on how all our old people live in florida, and its wide fucking open. No bodies in the streets.
    I can't speak to the healthcare systems there, but here in Maine, we got to a point a month or so ago where finding staffed hospital beds became a challenge. Part of that is a systemic failure (or, more accurately, a choice to optimize for profit and minimum cost rather than maximum efficacy during a surge event), but there were enough Covid patients, largely younger, that people with other sorts of issues (e.g. appendicitis) ended up in plan-B situations as to surgery sites. In theory, that should work just fine, but if I were going in for surgery and knew that the doc was driving in from another hospital to work with an OR team he didn't normally work with, I'd consider that suboptimal.

    ETA: to be clear, anyone needing emergent care should have still been able to get it, but there was clearly a lot of stress on the system.

  8. #383
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,232
    Strain on the system here is the largest problem for reopening. Typically hospitals are over run every year with flu cases, to the point they set up emergency beds at a Tim Hortons a few years ago in the Fraser Health District. Covid has exposed our health care system as fragile at best and our lockdowns are a direct result. Here in BC the highest number of patients being treated in hospital for Covid symptoms was just under 500, and unfortunately that's too many for our "free" (billions in tax dollars) system to handle. We're down to around 250 now, the vaccines are doing wonders on case counts.

  9. #384
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,867
    Our guess at what it takes to see "bodies in the streets" seems to vary. Where I live we have a lot of anti-vax/liberal/media non-conformist types. Cases have been up here even as they've been down elsewhere. A month ago a couple of families (two brothers and their wives) had three cases all at once. One death, one in long term care for cognitive impacts, and another other serious case. The community has carefully forgotten them: no obit, no funeral, no social media discussion.

    By community I mean family, church, and friends. This is not the major media deciding what the story is, this is people whose lives have been impacted, permanently. I'm not going to judge the why, but I'm also not going to assume that I would know how bad it was everywhere if the disease is now focused on deniers.

  10. #385
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Weird to hear such a conservative approach from all our Canuck friends here. Is your media feeding you this " we are all gonna die" bullshit? Make fun of Florida and Texas all you want for being wide open, but been to Utah yet? There's no 'Rona by the way the mormons are acting, and they and their healthcare systems are just dandy. Don't even get me started on how all our old people live in florida, and its wide fucking open. No bodies in the streets.
    Again for you: The healthcare system in the USA is better equipped to handle a large influx of patients because it's simply more profitable and they also have the capacity to produce more materials and equipment as needed. The Canadian model has always been based on balancing the expected healthcare needs with tax dollars. We're always running at or near 100% capacity. Countries that don't have privatized healthcare need to be more conservative in their policies as long as the ICUs remain almost full with COVID patients.

    The media is fucking bonkers though - yes. Very doomer-centric. "CASES SURGE WITH OVER 1500 NEW INFECTIONS" and "HOSPITAL SURGERY BACKLOG AT 3 YEARS" is common. I can tell you though that here in the most populated area of the country, everyone I meet wants shit opened up ASAP because with the vaccines having an obvious effect of eradicating this disease it's time to move on and enjoy what little summer we get. The current state of affairs is laughably stupid.

    Oh and we'll always make fun of americans. It's part of the constitution - we do it after singing O Canada and before God Save the Queen every morning.

  11. #386
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    12,961
    Name:  IMG_2523.JPG
Views: 521
Size:  88.7 KB

    sad on so many levels.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

  12. #387
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,550
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    sad on so many levels.
    It's sad for his family. I can't muster much compassion for him, though. You reap what you sow.

  13. #388
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Again for you: The healthcare system in the USA is better equipped to handle a large influx of patients because it's simply more profitable and they also have the capacity to produce more materials and equipment as needed. The Canadian model has always been based on balancing the expected healthcare needs with tax dollars. We're always running at or near 100% capacity. Countries that don't have privatized healthcare need to be more conservative in their policies as long as the ICUs remain almost full with COVID patients.

    The media is fucking bonkers though - yes. Very doomer-centric. "CASES SURGE WITH OVER 1500 NEW INFECTIONS" and "HOSPITAL SURGERY BACKLOG AT 3 YEARS" is common. I can tell you though that here in the most populated area of the country, everyone I meet wants shit opened up ASAP because with the vaccines having an obvious effect of eradicating this disease it's time to move on and enjoy what little summer we get. The current state of affairs is laughably stupid.

    Oh and we'll always make fun of americans. It's part of the constitution - we do it after singing O Canada and before God Save the Queen every morning.
    You Canucks are a product of your media then, just like us fat slobs here in 'Merica.

  14. #389
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    You Canucks are a product of your media then, just like us fat slobs here in 'Merica.
    That's true to an extent, however the thing is it's still easy for us to sift through the bullshit and find out what's happening.

    The Ontario Science Table (basically like 6 pseudo-Faucis who present data to our dumbass government) says that to re-open the province we need to see steady declines (done) and ICU capacity at 300 people or less. Yes, in a province of 14,000,000 people we have that little ICU capacity. Anyway at the height of the 'third wave,' we had ICU # of 900 on May 1. Today we're at 583, with 387 of those being on ventilators. So we're getting there. But get this, only as of TOMORROW is a Stay-At-Home order lifted which means you can leave your house for any reason whatsoever and not just picking up items from curbside pickup, food, or exercise. Also we're allowed to have 5 people in an outdoor gathering. The next phase won't be until June 14.

    Now, before you get your american flag knickers in a knot about the freedom-void Canuckistan, understand that not a single person I know has been following these stay at home rules, and enforcement is all but nonexistant. It's just pretty much everything is still closed, and it's fucking stupid. Our government is inept and (IMO) willingly harmful.

    BC has fared a little better, only closing dining for a short period while that Brazilian variant swept through thanks to some jet-setting infected people at Whistler.

  15. #390
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,209
    Less kooky religious cultists helps moderate responses too

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  16. #391
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,434
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    That's true to an extent, however the thing is it's still easy for us to sift through the bullshit and find out what's happening.
    BC has fared a little better, only closing dining for a short period while that Brazilian variant swept through thanks to some jet-setting infected people at Whistler.
    Well that and the ski hills closing early last year and some closing early this year. And travel restrictions meaning 50-75% of my customers weren't allowed to come to town. And kids not in school, then only on modified schedules, no ski races or events.
    You are correct the government (fed and prov especially) are inept
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

    www.theguideshut.ca

  17. #392
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,297
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Less kooky religious cultists helps moderate responses too
    You ever been to Bountiful, BC?

  18. #393
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N side, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    4,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    You Canucks are a product of your media then, just like us fat slobs here in 'Merica.
    Hey, there's plenty of fat slobs here! Case in point!

    edit to add, last week was the first time in a while we had zero cases in Terrace. Down 3 from the week before I understand. GO Vaccine!
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  19. #394
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    5,174
    Im hearing June 22nd or thereabouts for the grand re-opening of the border


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  20. #395
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,209
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    You ever been to Bountiful, BC?
    "less". Bit of an anomaly there and there connected to the larger US sect/cultist/child traffickers

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  21. #396
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    13,141
    The political extremes here really aren't even that far apart. Of course they're all incompetent bumblies; we can all agree on that. However, Canadian conservatives would be moderate Americans; Canadian moderates would be leftist/liberal Americans and Canadian progressives/liberals would be quite fring e by American standards with the difference being that there would be a lot of Canadian progressive/liberals while there simply wouldn't be very many of the American fringe (by definition).

    From my experience with other OECD countries Canada is fairly typical. My theory is that a multi party system allows many groups to express views and attain power. Conversely, the US twin party system leads to military-financial-entrenched interest group capture.

    Bottom line is that the prevailing civic and cultural Canadian ethos is why can't we all get along with the downside being that those who stand out get tut-tutted. Sure the Canadian media feeds us garbage as does government as does entrenched power blocs. However the extremes aren't there or, to the extent, they're there they're ignored as being irrelevant. Hence Covidiots like panodude are viewed through a lense of pity and/or disgust but their views are vastly in the minority.

    Sorry...And hope that helps

  22. #397
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    19,820
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

    Oh and we'll always make fun of americans. It's part of the constitution - we do it after singing O Canada and before God Save the Queen every morning.
    No problem. It's a small price to pay for us Americans to be able to tell people we're Canadians when we travel. (I even wear a furry hat with ear flaps, although I get a lot of weird looks in the summer.)

    We have a nice little nonrandomized, prospective controlled experiment going on in the NHL right now. It'll be interesting to see if any conclusions can be drawn.

  23. #398
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Oh and we'll always make fun of americans. It's how we deal with our inferiority complex.
    FIFY

  24. #399
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    14,209
    Our bumper nutz are bigger than your bumper nutz

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  25. #400
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N side, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    4,311
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The political extremes here really aren't even that far apart. Of course they're all incompetent bumblies; we can all agree on that. However, Canadian conservatives would be moderate Americans; Canadian moderates would be leftist/liberal Americans and Canadian progressives/liberals would be quite fring e by American standards with the difference being that there would be a lot of Canadian progressive/liberals while there simply wouldn't be very many of the American fringe (by definition).

    From my experience with other OECD countries Canada is fairly typical. My theory is that a multi party system allows many groups to express views and attain power. Conversely, the US twin party system leads to military-financial-entrenched interest group capture.

    Bottom line is that the prevailing civic and cultural Canadian ethos is why can't we all get along with the downside being that those who stand out get tut-tutted. Sure the Canadian media feeds us garbage as does government as does entrenched power blocs. However the extremes aren't there or, to the extent, they're there they're ignored as being irrelevant. Hence Covidiots like panodude are viewed through a lense of pity and/or disgust but their views are vastly in the minority.

    Sorry...And hope that helps
    Fucking poly-ass man!

    Kidding of course. Spot on and well said as usual Lee.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •