Page 12 of 122 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    This was easier to believe when the numbers in the US were way worse than Canada. Now that rate of the infection and vaccination are about the same, it is difficult to understand how allowing vaccinated Americans in would somehow make the situation worse in Canada.
    Because we are as a population more cautious than Americans in almost all regards, and the pandemic has highlighted that difference. "Peace, order, and good government," vs. "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," y'know?

I would add that our percentage of people with one dose is now the same, but we have not dished out nearly as many total doses per capita. I agree with you that the risk is minimal but if you're a cautious federal government spooked by variants and the unknowns you're going to wait until September, especially when your voters agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Where's the love for Frōzen Ghōst?
    Had to google that. Man, they check a lot of 80s boxes. Mullets, headbands, trench coats... dude even breaks out the sax for a solo - and is somehow now wearing glasses?! I guess he's reading the sheet music, lol.

They remind me of a less good Larry Gowan (if such a thing is possible)

Canadians can fly into the US for any reason, but Americans cannot fly into Canada (unless essential purpose).
    The Canadian government has a standard that says anyone, Canadian or otherwise must quarantine upon arrival in Canada. The US has a standard that says you do not need to quarantine upon arrival in the US. There are two standards by two sovereign government, either of which has the jurisdiction to change the standard if they wanted to.

It is not the job of the Canadian government to adequately protect access to the United States, that's your job and how you chose to do so is your domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Had to google that. Man, they check a lot of 80s boxes. Mullets, headbands, trench coats... dude even breaks out the sax for a solo - and is somehow now wearing glasses?! I guess he's reading the sheet music, lol.
    Yeah, I only remember them from going to Toronto when I was a teenager in the mid '80s. I kept seeing Frozen Ghost posters all over the shops on Yonge Street and wondering who the heck they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton
    It is not the job of the Canadian government to adequately protect access to the United States, that's your job and how you chose to do so is your domain.
    Yes, absolutely, but that difference likely affects how the populations of the two countries feel about the border closure.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I'm literally picking up the in-laws from the airport in Toronto tomorrow, coming from North Van. Delete your facebook account, please.
    While summit is wrong about the nuts and bolts of it, BC really did ask people not to travel outside of their health regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Because we are as a population more cautious than Americans in almost all regards, and the pandemic has highlighted that difference. "Peace, order, and good government," vs. "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," y'know?

I would add that our percentage of people with one dose is now the same, but we have not dished out nearly as many total doses per capita. I agree with you that the risk is minimal but if you're a cautious federal government spooked by variants and the unknowns you're going to wait until September, especially when your voters agree with you.
    i think they trust in god cuz its written on all their money, they also in money
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-28-2021 at 09:54 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i think they trust in god cuz its written all their money, also in money
    Americans trust in god and Canadians trust in aquatic birds. Both are loony!

While summit is wrong about the nuts and bolts of it, BC really did ask people not to travel outside of their health regions.
    but it’s not that different from what happened in the us when the good people of moab and bishop said please don’t come here because there are limited health services.

in general canada has fewer hospital beds and the difference is more pronounced away from cities.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Yeah, I know. I used to be a medevac pilot in BC.

You know what guys, some of us are american and some of us are Canadian (or Canadien), but we are all Maggots. So i called the border and you can all come up here. Just tell them the password. Check your pm for the password and enjoy revy guys. (except for buttah, he can fuck right off)
    27° 18°

Americans trust in god and Canadians trust in aquatic birds. Both are loony!
    http://www.nfb.ca/film/loon_dreaming/

we all grew up hearing the call of the loon on CBC ch2

Canadians can fly into the US for any reason, but Americans cannot fly into Canada (unless essential purpose).
    Dont come here for cheap goods then anymore then, fuckers.

Yeah, I know. I used to be a medevac pilot in BC.
    Doc can't figure it out he calls for medevac and the patient is in the big city at VGH or childrens hospital pretty quick

I knew a guy who flew medi-vac in the arctic out of Calgary, i think he might have said Ken Borak air, said he had landed at almost every strip up there which is a fucking huge area

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    I thought this thread was for Americans butthurt they can't come to Canada, not the other way around?

As soon as I don't have to quarantine upon return I will most certainly take advantage of your open borders, but not because its saves me any cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    deal.

They remind me of a less good Larry Gowan (if such a thing is possible)

I picked up black eyes in the shape of a cowboy boot after getting stomped on by a Gowan roadie in the 80's. Bit of a strange animal and after a night of heavy drinking he didnt realize my connections charcoal textured black hash was indeed the shit. Later he had a price to pay. Fun times, no rona to be had them daze

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Because we are as a population more cautious than Americans in almost all regards
    I think it depends on which issue and as XXX says, whether there is money to be made. For instance, salmon farming, and the potential long term effects on wild salmon populations; USA-cautious, Canada-not cautious.

We gots the costco here eh

In any case I'm pretty sure those people will find a way to spend a bunch of $ they can't really afford to buy a bunch of shit they don't really need which will all end up in the 2 car garage that you can't actuly fit a car in enymore

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    but it’s not that different from what happened in the us when the good people of moab and bishop said please don’t come here because there are limited health services.

in general canada has fewer hospital beds and the difference is more pronounced away from cities.
    Not overwhelming the healthcare system is the number one goal of public health measures in a pandemic because the downstream effects are huge.

Yet there is a HUGE difference in asking "keep to your home area" a year ago vs now.

A year ago there was a huge amount of unknowns about the illness/transmission/treatment, huge supply/PPE shortages, a general lack of healthcare system capability to handle COVID (eg air filtration, trained staff), very limited testing ability, and no vaccine.

Much of that was addressed by last summer. Mountain destination/desert recreation areas did just fine last summer and winter in terms of healthcare capacity.

What has Canada been doing for the last year to improve their healthcare capabilities?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Canadians who post on TGR don't care about coming to the US. They have better skiing and biking there. But cut off old farts ability to go to Arizona and Florida and there will be riots in the street.

My parents are retired in San Miguel de Allende and there are a shit ton of Canadians retired there with them. Lo De Marcos, north of Sayulita, is basically a BC town.

Canadians who post on TGR don't care about coming to the US. They have better skiing and biking there. But cut off old farts ability to go to Arizona and Florida and there will be riots in the street.
    This.

Except for the riots. Those are reserved for hockey games that went the wrong way.

This.

Except for the riots. Those are reserved for hockey games that went the wrong way.
    or the right way
    27° 18°

Social media has cured the Vangroovy hockey riots, something the mouth breathing losers who stormed the Capitol building have just figured out

I spent a lot of time in the OR this year, IME I can afford the HC in Canada, its not that bad

whereas y'all get to chose the HC you can't afford

also life expectancy is much lower for a country with so much HC

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I picked up black eyes in the shape of a cowboy boot after getting stomped on by a Gowan roadie in the 80's. Bit of a strange animal and after a night of heavy drinking he didnt realize my connections charcoal textured black hash was indeed the shit. Later he had a price to pay. Fun times, no rona to be had them daze
    I think I saw that episode of TPB ...j/k

Article today corroborates the one posted by AD suggesting the US is going to allow Canadians to freely travel to the US by land on June 22 for any reason. Still no official word yet. It appears to be a power move by Biden for force Trudeau to negotiate on bilaterally lifting some restrictions.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...251723818.html

Longtime Liberal MP Wayne Easter, who chairs the House of Commons finance committee, told POLITICO on Thursday that the Trudeau government must lay out a border reopening plan — and soon.

“As you get into July 1, Canada Day, and July 4, Independence Day, then those target dates are real pressure points for wanting to be normalized,” Easter, who co-chairs the Canada–U.S. Inter-Parliamentary Group, said in an interview. “The heat’s on, and I think we absolutely must have a plan.”

Easter said the political squeeze from the U.S. has been stronger in large part because in Canada public health officials and the media have contributed to a greater “fear factor” around the pandemic.

“We’ve done a pretty good job of creating fear on the Canadian side,” he said, noting he understands the goal was to get people to stay home. “If you were ever to watch [the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation] for a 16-hour period, you’d be depressed.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...-border-491285