Page 121 of 122 FirstFirst ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3042
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Was the random testing ever officially gone?
    It was gone for air travel the past month.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you are going to base that belief on a federal employee keeping canadians safe from diseased americans ?

Isnt that a positive thing if you lived on the Canadian side ?
    Only random Americans are being tested. Why not randomly test Canadians too? Covid is in both countries at roughly the same rate and has been for some time now. These travel measures do nothing but inconvenience and deter people, as evidenced by the events of the last 3 years.

Check the vax card and be done with it. Millions of Canadians' livelihoods depend on travel.

Just as another data point, I've been crossing about once a week since the full opening, always use the app - and have even done it from Blaine and driven up to the booth within 5 mins. They've never asked me for my vax card, nor the AC receipt, and I've never been selected for a covid test.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Just as another data point, I've been crossing about once a week since the full opening, always use the app - and have even done it from Blaine and driven up to the booth within 5 mins. They've never asked me for my vax card, nor the AC receipt, and I've never been selected for a covid test.
    The ArriveCan entry is tied to your passport, so it pulls up automagically when they scan that.

I've been across a couple of times in the last month, and I've had 30 US-based clients travel through as well, and no random tests for anyone. I crossed in Roosville last month and it was super easy and super fast both ways.

Another data point here. Crossed at Lynden/Aldergrove a couple weekends ago and got handed a test. Was told to do it within 24 hours. I was only up for the day so when I was back in Bellingham mid-afternoon, I had to do a zoom call with a random Canadian dude in a hoodie who "administered" my test. Took about 20 mins. Packaged it up, slapped on the included Fedex label, and went down to Fedex store before they closed. Dude working there told me he wasn't sure on if it would actually make it to it's destination (some testing facility in Surrey) because the label had a Canadian address as origin. I didn't really have much choice so I said to just try and send it. Miraculously, three days later I got an email from the testing facility with a negative result. Weird process.

I wonder if somehow my test got lost in the mail and they didn't receive it if that would affect future border crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by Single Track View Post
    I wonder if somehow my test got lost in the mail and they didn't receive it if that would affect future border crossings.
    As far as any of us have been able to tell, they are not following up or keeping track of who does or doesn't take the random test. Have not heard of anybody having trouble crossing because of not sending it in.

Canada declares covid over! Border requirements will be dropped Oct 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arr...-end-1.6595710

Good news. The ArriveCAN stuff was pretty easy, but having the possibility of a random test potentially upending an entire trip was always in the back of my mind when I went to Canada over the last year.

That's good to hear.

Although I have to admit that I'll miss gloating over my bike and ski trips to Canada while some anti-vax acquaintances were stuck back at home.

Now let's get some damn NEXUS renewal appointments available. My NEXUS card expires next year and I feel like I got hosed anyway since I couldn't use it for a year.

Mine does too, but my wife and sister-in-law had theirs automatically extended this year, so I'm hoping that will still be the policy (if needed)

Now let's get some damn NEXUS renewal appointments available. My NEXUS card expires next year and I feel like I got hosed anyway since I couldn't use it for a year.
    Renewed mine, didn't need an appointment. Just paid money, new card showed up good for 5 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Mine does too, but my wife and sister-in-law had theirs automatically extended this year, so I'm hoping that will still be the policy (if needed)
    Interesting. Glad to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    Renewed mine, didn't need an appointment. Just paid money, new card showed up good for 5 more years.
    Hmm, everything I've seen indicates you need an appointment to renew, just like to get a new one, but maybe the process is different in Canada?

edit: I take it back. Apparently if none of your info has changed you may not need need an appointment:
    The card is valid for 5 years. When your card expires you can renew by filling out an application form. You may be required to attend an interview at an enrollment center . You may not have to attend an interview if your personal data is the same as when you first applied (i.e. address and employment history, passport information, driver’s license).
    I've had to renew my passport in the interim, so I wonder if that will screw me.

I didn't meet all of those criteria last time, yet I didn't need an appointment either. My wife currently does meet their criteria, but they still want her to get an appointment - that they don't have - so they gave her the extension.

Fuckin government

So basically at their whim. Sounds about right.

the border is gona open thank dog

but not to foreign dogs cuz of Rabies
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

the border is gona open thank dog

but not to foreign dogs cuz of Rabies
    I just found out about this because I am looking to adopt a rescue dog. I'm not sure but I think the rabies ban applies to 100 countries and I am not sure which countries.

Our federal government in Canada is so inept that when I recently moved, I was unable to give the government my new address. I did find a online page that allowed you to ask a question and get a reply within two weeks, so instead of a question i gave them my old and new address. But I suspect this is too complicated a task for our unqualified, basically useless, civil servants.

And paying Canada Post to forward mail from an old address to a new address is a waste of money because they will screw it up. They screw up every year when I pay for a temporary mail transfer when I move to my seasonal winter location.

Wow what a dumb situation. Just give them the same immunity or whatever and be done with it. If they get in trouble in Canada, just send them back to the USA and revoke their right to work here. Can it be this simple??

The only reason this isn't fixed is because these dumbass government reps don't have to stand in long customs lines like the rest of us plebs.

My Nexus card expires in 2025 - better be fixed by then.

I've got two questions: 1. why do they need immunity? and 2. why can't Canadians staff the Canadian offices and Americans staff U.S. offices? Typical idiotic bureaucracy.

I've got two questions: 1. why do they need immunity? and 2. why can't Canadians staff the Canadian offices and Americans staff U.S. offices? Typical idiotic bureaucracy.
    Why do any diplomats need immunity? Why do the US border agents working in Canada get immunity and not the US Nexus agents standing right next to them? From the US's perspective, these US Nexus employees are working mostly for the benefit of Canadians, not Americans, so they should get immunity there (most Americans get their Nexus from offices in the US).

Diplomatic immunity has a long history and generally accepted by countries like Canada, so not sure why they are balking at the US's request. My guess is politics (can't let those a hole Americans get away with their crimes and wrongs in Canada)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity

The US is not going to let a Canadian employee decide if a Canadian (or any other nationality applying at that office) gets a Nexus card to get into the US, and vice versa. It would be like a Canadian border guard deciding if someone gets asylum in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Wow what a dumb situation. Just give them the same immunity or whatever and be done with it. If they get in trouble in Canada, just send them back to the USA and revoke their right to work here. Can it be this simple??

The only reason this isn't fixed is because these dumbass government reps don't have to stand in long customs lines like the rest of us plebs.

My Nexus card expires in 2025 - better be fixed by then.
    It took you 5 days to respond which DID suprise me

so it couldn't have been that pressing or dumb ?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    From the US's perspective, these US Nexus employees are working mostly for the benefit of Canadians, not Americans, so they should get immunity there (most Americans get their Nexus from offices in the US).
    Right, but why do they need U.S. people working in the Canadian offices? Seems like if you eliminate that then you eliminate the entire problem.

Right, but why do they need U.S. people working in the Canadian offices? Seems like if you eliminate that then you eliminate the entire problem.
    I don't know but assume there is a reason. When a Canadian gets a Nexus, do they only speak to a Canadian employee and never speak to an American employee? I checked the Canadian website and it says "you will be interviewed by a CBSA and/or U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)." So appears it could be either US or Canadian who interviews you. US and Canada share a lot of info, but not all info, so must be some reason to have US employees stationed in Canada.

Why can't we be like Europe where you can go back and forth without speaking to a border guard? It was that way when I was in Switzerland (non EU) and could travel, even ski, into EU countries (the public city bus in Geneva goes to France). Both US and Canada have sticks up their ass.

This article says:

"New NEXUS applicants are required to participate in in-person interviews with agents from U.S. Customs and Border Protection as well as the Canada Border Services Agency"

Also, a nine month wait for the interview after you apply. Your government at work folks.

https://www.wnypapers.com/news/artic...o-be-addressed

Fuckin' ridiculous. They need to automatically extend everyone's NEXUS that already has one because of this and the fact we already missed out on 18 months when the border was closed.