Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Should I get new skis?

I know, silly question to ask this crowd, but given that I don't even let myself think about the money I spend on skiing otherwise...anyway, I haven't bought skis for myself in awhile but was looking at this year's buyer's guide and was wondering if I'm missing out. Here's the thing: I ski a variety of (old) race skis, am most often on a pair of (old) Scott park skis as my default 'other' ski (they are just pretty easy to ski if I'm lazy but also have decent performance), and get on the Legend XXL's whenever it's deep (love them and have stockpiled a second pair of those). I've occasionally skied newer skis but just haven't ever felt anything better about them than I get on my old beater boards (I maintain my skis very well, even if some of them have quite a few (repaired) core shots and small sections of compressed or otherwise slightly compromised edge/sidewall). I've never spent a full day skiing any of those new skis, so maybe I'm not giving them enough of a chance?

Other thing is that I am just not a fan of reverse camber, early rise, etc. At least not on the skis I've tried. I like traditional sidecut and camber. Again, though, maybe I just haven't given non-traditional shapes/sidecuts enough of a chance.

So am I wrong that my old skis provide everything I want/need in a ski, and newer skis wouldn't make a big difference? The magazine descriptions of them make me think maybe I am missing out, but my experiences trying some of their predecessors don't support that.

I am slightly tempted to just buy a new pair (whatever the best candidate is) and see how it goes (how dumb would that be?).
    [quote][//quote]

If you already own some red ones I don’t see the need.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Should I get new skis?

If your mostly skiing hardpack, your fine on the old race boards.

The XXL’s were a great ski, but they are really dated. If you’ll see much 3D snow, new powder boards sure are a lot easier.

Fisher skis will be hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Fisher skis will be hard to find.
    Literally.

I love a good Dexter thread.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

A lot of good skis out there .
    Technology does makes a difference .

Get something with algae.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The new powder skis are amazing. The all mountain are good but it’s really what conditions are you skiing. if you ski pow more spend some money and get something like protest, older lotus, hell buy a pontoon. Make big McConkey turns and laugh hysterically I have some old megawatts that are actually great in pow. Sometimes it’s just a good design. The new stuff is more to ski pow and resort left overs. But always good to have a pow ski for before lunch blower

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Should I get new skis?

Sounds like you really prefer a more traditional style of ski and have the firm snow conditions ski covered.
    Look for a 118+ width pow ski. Maybe something with a more traditional shape to eliminate the learning curve some guys have with newer shapes, ie protest, lotus etc. I was plug and play on the newer shapes but know others who had a hard time adapting, but once they did they were stoked on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post

So am I wrong that my old skis provide everything I want/need in a ski, and newer skis wouldn't make a big difference? The magazine descriptions of them make me think maybe I am missing out, but my experiences trying some of their predecessors don't support that.

I am slightly tempted to just buy a new pair (whatever the best candidate is) and see how it goes (how dumb would that be?).
    all the old fucsk at the hill would claim their old skis were ok so I said yer wifes ok too but wouldn't you rather try a super model ?

they would all just grin stupidly and nobody ever said no my wife is fine

and they are all on wider skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Tech Talk, jong...

Also ANY pow ski will be a huge step up compared to what you've been skiing.

BUT given your location and ski history something like a Ranger 107ti or Enforcer 110 Free might be good (not the Ranger 108ti- those were too light and floppy a the tips). Maybe the Rustler 11 if you want to go fatter. These skis will still be the best pow skis you've ever used, but are also solid carvers. You'll get more float and looseness, but still be able to release your inner racer.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Tech Talk, jong...

This, and what did you take on your heli trip few years back?

Soul 7

I’d kick it old school and buy a pair of vintage K2s. Those provide everything you want and aren’t pansy skis like these shaped/parabolic skis these days.

it's getting harder to find skis the same turning radius as your buddy for powder 8's. good luck.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    You just busted him

N+1
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Best advice I've ever heard about buying skis was from Lito Tejada-Flores--ski your old skis, then the ones you are think of buying. If you don't immediately say "Wow!", try a different demo, or just stay with the old ones. One run should tell you. In your case that would mean comparing new skis to the Legends in deep snow.

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    N+1
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    all the old fucsk at the hill would claim their old skis were ok so I said yer wifes ok too but wouldn't you rather try a super model ?

they would all just grin stupidly and nobody ever said no my wife is fine

and they are all on wider skis
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Tech Talk, jong...

BUT given your location and ski history something like a Ranger 107ti or Enforcer 110 Free might be good (not the Ranger 108ti- those were too light and floppy a the tips). Maybe the Rustler 11 if you want to go fatter. These skis will still be the best pow skis you've ever used, but are also solid carvers. You'll get more float and looseness, but still be able to release your inner racer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Same skis I skied with you, I'm pretty sure, all those years ago at Crystal. Seems like some people skipped over the Dynastar XXL thing (x2). 109 underfoot. 2Funky might make a good point.
    [quote][//quote]

Try to win some in a contest is my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Best advice I've ever heard about buying skis was from Lito Tejada-Flores--ski your old skis, then the ones you are think of buying. If you don't immediately say "Wow!", try a different demo, or just stay with the old ones. One run should tell you. In your case that would mean comparing new skis to the Legends in deep snow.
    Yeah, there is definitely something to that. And I have done exactly that a few times--once with some DPS's (really, really didn't like them), another time with some Kastles (BMX115?--wasn't blown away by them). But assuming I have the chance this year I'll probably do that.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Literally.

I love a good Dexter thread.
    Good to know this won't be a complete waste of time. For you.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    If you already own some red ones I don’t see the need.
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    it's getting harder to find skis the same turning radius as your buddy for powder 8's. good luck.
    These are the kinds of responses that I find reassuring for the continued relevance of this message board. Glad to see we're still not Epicski.
    [quote][//quote]