Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Should I get new skis?

Yo Dex. Buy these OG Squads. Cheap entry into the pow ski/new’ish shape arena on the cheap. This is a really good ski.
    Edit to add I just read up on the RD and it sounds like a rad ski. For $$25 more I would opt for it. Git sum.
    Edit edit, owned both 187 and 194 xxl so I get where you’re coming from.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...per-7-RD-190cm

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Fisher skis will be hard to find.
    True, but Fischer skis will be easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Same skis I skied with you, I'm pretty sure, all those years ago at Crystal. Seems like some people skipped over the Dynastar XXL thing (x2). 109 underfoot. 2Funky might make a good point.
    Nope. I saw the XXL reference. And I've skied XXL's.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Try to win some in a contest is my advice.
    Did that once. Those Rossi XX's sucked.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Tech Talk, jong...

Also ANY pow ski will be a huge step up compared to what you've been skiing.

BUT given your location and ski history something like a Ranger 107ti or Enforcer 110 Free might be good (not the Ranger 108ti- those were too light and floppy a the tips). Maybe the Rustler 11 if you want to go fatter. These skis will still be the best pow skis you've ever used, but are also solid carvers. You'll get more float and looseness, but still be able to release your inner racer.
    Nope. I saw the XXL reference. And I've skied XXL's.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    Then you really lost me with your 'any pow ski will be a huge step up.' That doesn't make any sense, unless you believe the XXL is not a pow ski but for some reason a Ranger or Enforcer is.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yo Dex. Buy these OG Squads. Cheap entry into the pow ski/new’ish shape arena on the cheap. This is a really good ski.
    Edit to add I just read up on the RD and it sounds like a rad ski. For $$25 more I would opt for it. Git sum.
    Edit edit, owned both 187 and 194 xxl so I get where you’re coming from.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...per-7-RD-190cm
    Yeah, I think you do, and the RD was one I had already looked at (didn't know about those in gear swap, thanks). Maybe that's the way to go, but I still need to figure out whether or not to roll the dice and buy before skiing. Or just be happy with what I have.
    [quote][//quote]

Then you really lost me with your 'any pow ski will be a huge step up.' That doesn't make any sense, unless you believe the XXL is not a pow ski but for some reason a Ranger or Enforcer is.
    Just about every 110ish waisted ski sold today is a much better pow ski than XXLs. Especially in trees or in lower angle, upside down or slightly crusty snow. Rocker works.

The answer to whether one should buy new skis is always n+1, with 'n' equal to the current number of skis you own. SEND IT!

Just about every 110ish waisted ski sold today is a much better pow ski than XXLs. Especially in trees or in lower angle, upside down or slightly crusty snow. Rocker works.
    I'm just not sure that it's true that the XXL is so inferior (but it is why I am asking the question). I honestly think skiing style might play into it. I get that rockered skis are easier to deal with at lower speeds, in trees, etc. But my primary concern in a powder ski is wide open, steep stuff at speed, and second to that would be somewhat tracked out pow. If I have to do a little extra work in the trees I'm OK with that (and my plan is not to buy a ski just for trees/crust/low angle because I essentially never spend all day doing any of that, except if crust is just unavoidable).
    [quote][//quote]

I'm just not sure that it's true that the XXL is so inferior (but it is why I am asking the question). I honestly think skiing style might play into it. I get that rockered skis are easier to deal with at lower speeds, in trees, etc. But my primary concern in a powder ski is wide open, steep stuff at speed, and second to that would be somewhat tracked out pow. If I have to do a little extra work in the trees I'm OK with that (and my plan is not to buy a ski just for trees/crust/low angle because I essentially never spend all day doing any of that, except if crust is just unavoidable).
    In that case you want something like the Blizzard Bodacious. The metal ones, not the neutered ones they sold for a couple years. They'll crush just as well as your XXL with much better float and maneuverability. .https://www.ebay.com/i/202915843738?...evt=1&mkcid=28

I'll add that my Rustler 11's are much, much, much better than my old XXL's in steep, wide open powder. They plane up faster, the go faster, they can make more turn shapes and they scrub speed with less effort. The gap is even bigger for trees and tighter terrain.

Funny because I had both the 186 and 194 XXLs and they were the perfect ski for exactly the conditions you are talking about. Demoed rockered skis years later and hated them...I already knew how to ski pow fast so I didn't need something "easy" to help me and on top of that I hated being on a ski that is already bent. If I was skiing super deep untouched only perhaps rockered might have more appeal. That said, I think it does have a lot to do with skiing style.

Took those 194 XXLs I sold you to Mustang Powder in BC...they did just fine in the trees of BC.

Buy new skis. My new ones arrived yesterday Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1755.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	343560

Don’t be a loser.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    The answer to whether one should buy new skis is always n+1, with 'n' equal to the current number of skis you own. SEND IT!
    Correct. No other acceptable answer here. Any other answer gets you reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Ow_My_Balls View Post
    #MeToo (and the bindings showed up this morning)
    Attachment 343574
    FuckinA man

What Legend’s are those with the red letters? What bindings you mounting on them?

I’m working up the confidence to justify buying some Techtons for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Freeskier View Post
    I already knew how to ski pow fast... I think it does have a lot to do with skiing style.
    I used to have a blast skiing deep snow in the trees at Stowe on Rossi 4S's. And I have no problem skiing powder on short, skinny touring skis either. But fat rockered skis let you do things that just aren't possible on traditional skis.

Now, I sure as hell can't ski like those guys, but I do appreciate how a fat, rockered ski lets me maintain speed while going sideways. It lets you fluidly connect lines in a way that would otherwise be impossible and it lets you carry more speed in confined spaces.

See also La Liste

Heitz mostly make Super G turns (the way you would on XXL's) but he also scrubs speed in a way that is much more accessible with a rockered tail, and occasionally he brakes into a massive drift.

Dex, I'm pretty sure I skied a few laps with you about 10 years ago at Magic, and if you are the person I remember, you were very good at skiing. I have no doubt you could learn to take advantage of a ski that lets you both rip pow like a racer AND get a little sideways when it helps.

If your only taste of rockered skis has been something like those banana shaped and colored DPS or some floppy-tipped Rossis (those OG Squad &'s are legit, though) I'm not surprised you didn't like them. I'd bet something with a long, low rocker profile and some metal will make you happy AND ski faster than ever.

I was in Dexter's camp and really liked my XXLs (and 2011 Stormrider Pros) but sold both a couple years ago. My journey started with Moment Belafontes that allowed me to shut things down in the crud to avoid tourists and trees better than the XXLs but still charged hard. They weren't better in pow or carving hardpack though. The XXLs and Stocklis were really good carvers for such big skis, both outskied my MX98s on firm groomed. It took learning to ski my 191 Billy Goats (not just a couple runs) to get me to turn the corner. You just start looking at the mountain differently and opening up new things and ski as fast or faster. But, if you want to enjoy bending a ski into a carve on hard snow with some pop at the exit, look elsewhere. I think you should consider a very different ski for a very different experience in powder and chop, for me it is the BG but YMMV. Keep a pair of XXLs though, for how you like to ski, I think they are still hard to beat. I haven't skied at Monster 108 but you might want to give it a try.

Blister talked about doing a deep dive comparing mythic skis like the XXL and RC112 to newer chargers but never got around to it. I still would love to read such a comparison.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...-monster-108/3

"So let me comment on those skis: I would take the 184cm Monster 108 over an unrockered XXL. The tip rocker of the Monster 108 helps the ski’s maneuverability, whereas I felt like the XXL was ALL stability — which is awesome in certain terrain and conditions, but I’d much rather carve the 108s and I’d much rather negotiate steep, tight chutes on the 108s. (Stronger skiers than me won’t have any trouble on the XXLs, of course, but I personally don’t need any more stability than the Monster 108 offers.)

As for the Belafonte, they really don’t feel all *that* similar. The Belafonte is lighter, quicker and has more tip rocker … while still being remarkably damp given that the ski doesn’t have metal. The Monster 108 has more effective edge, is heavier, does have metal, and is a super smooth, damp, *metal* ski – closer to a tip rockered XXL, I’d say.

So I can’t really say whether the Monster 108 is more of a leap forward or a throwback … but I would say that it is a very coherent design that works really well. The only thing I can think of that (physically) strong skiers might not like about it is that the Monster 108 does have a tighter sidecut radius than a XXL or Rossi RC112 – I would MUCH rather carve the Monster 108, but some people prefer straight skis for straightlining, etc."

Quote Originally Posted by some-fucking-jong
    Should I get new skis?
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    yes
    this

I am slightly tempted to just buy a new pair (whatever the best candidate is) and see how it goes (how dumb would that be?).
    Go with the flow: 2020 is the age of stupid, right?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

In that case you want something like the Blizzard Bodacious. The metal ones, not the neutered ones they sold for a couple years. They'll crush just as well as your XXL with much better float and maneuverability. .https://www.ebay.com/i/202915843738?...evt=1&mkcid=28
    Do this. You won't be disappointed.

Demo.

You are stuck in an old school rut. You may be happy there for the rest of your days. And that’s cool. Buying and not liking sucks.

XXL is a wide gs ski. Still own a pair. But rarely ski them.
    Similar skis exist with tip rocker and they are more fun and versatile.

You want stiff, damp, large radius, with more modern rocker.

I’m intrigued by Marshall Olsen and others praise of the kastle bmx hp
    Might be a good option.
    But my fave pow ski still remains lotus 120 200cm. And that’s a decade or more old?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But my fave pow ski still remains lotus 120 200cm. And that’s a decade or more old?
    But ahead of its time not behind it.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Don't buy a new ski just to have something new. And don't let the naysayers guilt you in to thinking your skis are inferior. But absolutely get out and try some new skis, and give yourself time to learn them, at least a handful of runs when you're relatively fresh.

I get to ski much of the new hotness every year, and my quiver is just an assortment of decade-old skis that are in better shape than most people's new ones. My approach to skiing hasn't changed at all in the last decade, and the skis I ride reflect that. And no, there aren't always new skis that are just as good for the way that I like to ski. If I hear one more person call the Enforcer 100 a charger I'm gonna fucking puke.

That said, there are plenty of skis that will do damn near anything you want to do on a ski, with (far) less effort and (somewhat) comparable stability IF you take a little time to figure out how to make them work. Your description of your Scotts (they are just pretty easy to ski if I'm lazy but also have decent performance) describes so many newer skis it's not even funny: everything is easier to ski than your race skis, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're not also capable and perform well, and most of them have added versatility that your old twintips can't match. Its always worth trying new gear, heaven forfend you should be surprised by something.

And yes, the OG bodacious is a very worthy replacement for your XXLs. Does just about everything better without giving up much of anything, unless you just have to have a 40m turn radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    I was in Dexter's camp and really liked my XXLs (and 2011 Stormrider Pros) but sold both a couple years ago. My journey started with Moment Belafontes that allowed me to shut things down in the crud to avoid tourists and trees better than the XXLs but still charged hard. They weren't better in pow or carving hardpack though. The XXLs and Stocklis were really good carvers for such big skis, both outskied my MX98s on firm groomed. It took learning to ski my 191 Billy Goats (not just a couple runs) to get me to turn the corner. You just start looking at the mountain differently and opening up new things and ski as fast or faster. But, if you want to enjoy bending a ski into a carve on hard snow with some pop at the exit, look elsewhere. I think you should consider a very different ski for a very different experience in powder and chop, for me it is the BG but YMMV. Keep a pair of XXLs though, for how you like to ski, I think they are still hard to beat. I haven't skied at Monster 108 but you might want to give it a try.
    187 XXL's are still my dream ski. Sometimes I ski them as rock skis and wish the bases weren't mangled and compressed.

Jealous that you (Dexter) have a backup pair.

I started skiing a 191 Billy Goat 2which totally kicks the XXL ass in pow, but still can't find a ski that matches the XXL's ability to charge through the late-in-the-pow-day chop that the XXL could. Stomping landings through bomb holes, Now my weak legs would prob fail me but... dreamy.

If you're looking to replace the 194 XXL the BGs are probably not enough ski. 187 xxl is compairable to on3p 191 ish lengths for stability imo.

Best part about going to the 191 BGs is low angle deep pow when everyone else gets stuck and ya just plane up and bounce like a bunny.

If ya got the money, get some new boards they're super fun and as long as you've got good solid boots you'll have a shit load of fun.

Yeah, those might be the right call...if I'm going to switch up my pow skis those certainly look like a leading candidate. Maybe the best candidate, from what I can tell by reading about them and what you and several others are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post

And yes, the OG bodacious is a very worthy replacement for your XXLs. Does just about everything better without giving up much of anything, unless you just have to have a 40m turn radius.
    Honestly, I'm not sure, but I DO like the turning radius on the XXL's. I believe when I first came across them (mighta been the year they came out skiing with Pow11 in Whistler) I was told I should get them because of how I like to ski and that they are 'SG skis for pow.' I think that's kind of accurate. Do I have to have a 40m radius ski? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Go with the flow: 2020 is the age of stupid, right?
    Stop it. This is about not facing reality.

I used to have a blast skiing deep snow in the trees at Stowe on Rossi 4S's.
    I can vividly recall certain (deep) powder days all over the place on Rossi 7S's, some of the best days I've had, but I have no desire to get back on those skis...
    Dex, I'm pretty sure I skied a few laps with you about 10 years ago at Magic, and if you are the person I remember, you were very good at skiing. I have no doubt you could learn to take advantage of a ski that lets you both rip pow like a racer AND get a little sideways when it helps.

If your only taste of rockered skis has been something like those banana shaped and colored DPS or some floppy-tipped Rossis (those OG Squad &'s are legit, though) I'm not surprised you didn't like them. I'd bet something with a long, low rocker profile and some metal will make you happy AND ski faster than ever.
    Yeah, we skied a few laps. I've been struggling to remember the day but just can't come up with anything about it. I can completely see the utility of the newer skis, just need to figure out which way to go. Could definitely be the Bodacious.
    [quote][//quote]

After all this should I clarify that when I first posted I was thinking about replacing my shit-kicker Scotts and not getting new pow skis??

Utagonian, somehow that Blister review actually makes me think that the XXL's are the better choice...
    [quote][//quote]