Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I think you want Dynastar M-Pro 105, Head Monster 108s or Stockli Stormrider Pro 115s if you can find them.

Oh, Stockli...what's the story w those Stormriders? They're not way too stiff, are they?
    [quote][//quote]

Moment Commander118.
    More modern shape, but w/ 2 titanal sheets and a 32.5 radius(194) might have old school ish feel you prefer?

Yeah, that one sounds promising as well...
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Oh, Stockli...what's the story w those Stormriders? They're not way too stiff, are they?
    I had the 2011 model (105 under foot) in both 178 and 190. The 190 was quite a bit stiffer than the 178 but the tips on both were not too stiff, they made a 201 in this model btw. This from a review I found on the 115 pro fwiw: "By taking some stiffness out of the tip and tail while adding rigidity underfoot, the Stormrider Pro 115 is hands down the most maneuverable, damp, and fun powder ski we’ve ever had the opportunity to test."

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Get the ones with the robot on them.
    Piezoelectric dampening is the future
    . . .

Electric touring skis for the up

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

No

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

If you ever want to stop by as you head North and grab my Blizzard Bonafides to get a feel for the trad camber under foot and the riser in the front/tail feel free. Bought em last year as a tweener ski between my big out west sjiks ( JJs) and my skiing on the east coast with my son park skis. They were used demos so still have the demo plates on them

Ah, may take you up on that.
    Where you skiing w kid these days (aside from CT's bumps)? Am sure you remember that spring day trip to Kmart years ago when my older girl was pretty small (she's 18 and shorter than I am by about an inch now--skis better than I ever did). We should get some skiing in again and I can give those skis a try.
    [quote][//quote]

Likely get a five pack to Mohawk for the sheer convenience and we renewed our Epic passes to capture the credits from last year ( free money really, as we used them up until the day Vail resorts shut down. We were the last happy plane out of Eagle airport) so plan on trying to go as many weekends as possible, wtf else we gonna do.
    Hit Sunapee, Crothched, wildcat, let the wife revisit her youth race days @ Attitash. She still has a ton of family up there. Hit the VT options on less crowded weekends.

thats the plan at least.

Need to buy a beater ski wagon to make it happen. too many miles for the lease on the Atlas, and the 02 Jag stays in the garage most of the winter. Be fun to get some turns with you again

(definitely not looking to wind up buying two pairs of skis as a result of this thread).
    Then you probably shouldn't have posted here, because the N+1 guys earlier are clearly wrong: you need at least N+2.

Race-ski tech has improved a lot in the past decade or two, and if you haven't upgraded your race skis in that long, you probably should either: (a) not ski on new gear; or (b) budget to buy some. I say this having upgraded from a pair of 23m-era GS skis to a pair of current-gen women's FIS skis. I'm blindly assuming there have been reasonable updates on the slalom side, as well, but I won't find that out until I can get on a pair of modern FIS slalom skis. The GS boards obviously require a lot of commitment and proper technique, but when you get it right...FKNA.

On the "average-day" front, I picked up a pair of Atomic X9 WBs last year. They ski a lot like a detuned race ski, but with a little more width that is nice to have in chop or other less-firm, 3D conditions. They are a little less friendly in terms of radius modulation than some, but I've been happy with them as a good option when it's too firm for pow skis to be fun and too crowded for GS skis. One of the other coaches I work with has a Vantage 97 that he describes in a way that might also appeal to you: good on firm snow, and a lot of work in soft snow (compared to the Bent Chet), but fun as long as you're willing to put the effort in.

Take that with a grain of salt, though; while I've got a race background, and I've come to prefer softer all-mountain skis because my body can't drive a real charger all day. I should probably really admit that and list my stiff Lhasas in Gear Swap, come to think of it.

I am chiming in here to post an N+1 view that’s maybe a bit different, so take it for what it’s worth.

I turn over gear a lot, and I’m many times looking for an upgrade to a ski I already like. Stiffer, different radius, whatever. Most of the time I come away disappointed because I compare to a ski that I’m already familiar with and I’m not skiing the new ski with an open mind.

I usually end up happier when I get a ski that’s 180 different than what I have. I say, instead of going for the. XXL replacement go for a 196 Renegade, or a Bentchetler 120 or something else totally different. Take those out on specific days knowing you’ll be on the Legends a bunch regardless and not worry about a 90% overlap between you new skis.

I find I am a better skier when I go back and forth between styles of skis cause it forces my body to be good at adapting (though I never raced and my technique is shitty regardless) and I have more fun.

knowing how you ski & your penchant for old school race boards, the choice is clear: DYNAMIC
    https://dynamic.ski/
    and you can sing as you schuss...
    viva la viva la viva la mour viva la mour viva la mour vival vivala vivala more vivala compagine

Maybe I'm just the cheapskate of the boards, but I'd go for a gently used pair.

You can usually tell if there are issues, and with some patience you can get bindings + skis for more than 60% off even just a couple years old. If you're out west there's probably a thriving market on KSL/Craigs/fb marketplace, otherwise ski swaps or ebay.

I just picked up a pair of 2020 super 7s 188 with demo bindings for when out of town friends visit on deep days. They're in great condition and cost me $350 + $30 for a full tune to make them ski like new.

The cool part about getting skis second hand, is that if you don't like them, you can probably flip them for almost the same price you bought them at. Think of it as demoing for free, just with a little more work

I got myself a new (used but new to me) monoski on ebay this year, cracking fun, bit different, but still facing the right way, do recommend.

Ah, may take you up on that.
    Where you skiing w kid these days (aside from CT's bumps)? Am sure you remember that spring day trip to Kmart years ago when my older girl was pretty small (she's 18 and shorter than I am by about an inch now--skis better than I ever did). We should get some skiing in again and I can give those skis a try.
    What’s her number and can we see her tits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm excited to hear what Dexter eventually picks.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I know, silly question to ask this crowd, but given that I don't even let myself think about the money I spend on skiing otherwise...anyway, I haven't bought skis for myself in awhile but was looking at this year's buyer's guide and was wondering if...

-Stop wondering , just do it.-

I've never spent a full day skiing any of those new skis, so maybe I'm not giving them enough of a chance...

- I agree -

Other thing is that I am just not a fan of reverse camber, early rise, etc.

-Maybe cause you’re just stubborn? Ask me how I know.-

Again, though, maybe I just haven't given non-traditional shapes/sidecuts enough of a chance.

-See above.-

I am slightly tempted to just buy a new pair (whatever the best candidate is) and see how it goes (how dumb would that be?).
    —-
    Please treat yourself and pull the trigger.

I consider myself from a similar skiing background as you - had my idea of what I liked and thought about new designs, kept and still keep my stash of old go to planks..

I finally bought a new pair of skis last year ; First in 25+ years I think? Mind blowingly intuitive and more stable doing everything than I ever imagined. Why did I wait so long? Doesn’t matter what I bought... just do it

Do it. Pick a pair and pull the trigger. I hope I’ll get to take a lap with you this winter, cause I’ll say:

“ I told you so “

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums