Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    I was in Dexter's camp and really liked my XXLs (and 2011 Stormrider Pros) but sold both a couple years ago. My journey started with Moment Belafontes that allowed me to shut things down in the crud to avoid tourists and trees better than the XXLs but still charged hard. They weren't better in pow or carving hardpack though. The XXLs and Stocklis were really good carvers for such big skis, both outskied my MX98s on firm groomed. It took learning to ski my 191 Billy Goats (not just a couple runs) to get me to turn the corner. You just start looking at the mountain differently and opening up new things and ski as fast or faster. But, if you want to enjoy bending a ski into a carve on hard snow with some pop at the exit, look elsewhere. I think you should consider a very different ski for a very different experience in powder and chop, for me it is the BG but YMMV. Keep a pair of XXLs though, for how you like to ski, I think they are still hard to beat. I haven't skied at Monster 108 but you might want to give it a try.
    187 XXL's are still my dream ski. Sometimes I ski them as rock skis and wish the bases weren't mangled and compressed.

Jealous that you (Dexter) have a backup pair.

I started skiing a 191 Billy Goat 2which totally kicks the XXL ass in pow, but still can't find a ski that matches the XXL's ability to charge through the late-in-the-pow-day chop that the XXL could. Stomping landings through bomb holes, Now my weak legs would prob fail me but... dreamy.

If you're looking to replace the 194 XXL the BGs are probably not enough ski. 187 xxl is compairable to on3p 191 ish lengths for stability imo.

Best part about going to the 191 BGs is low angle deep pow when everyone else gets stuck and ya just plane up and bounce like a bunny.

If ya got the money, get some new boards they're super fun and as long as you've got good solid boots you'll have a shit load of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    In that case you want something like the Blizzard Bodacious. The metal ones, not the neutered ones they sold for a couple years. They'll crush just as well as your XXL with much better float and maneuverability. .https://www.ebay.com/i/202915843738?...evt=1&mkcid=28
    Yeah, those might be the right call...if I'm going to switch up my pow skis those certainly look like a leading candidate. Maybe the best candidate, from what I can tell by reading about them and what you and several others are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post

And yes, the OG bodacious is a very worthy replacement for your XXLs. Does just about everything better without giving up much of anything, unless you just have to have a 40m turn radius.
    Honestly, I'm not sure, but I DO like the turning radius on the XXL's. I believe when I first came across them (mighta been the year they came out skiing with Pow11 in Whistler) I was told I should get them because of how I like to ski and that they are 'SG skis for pow.' I think that's kind of accurate. Do I have to have a 40m radius ski? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Go with the flow: 2020 is the age of stupid, right?
    Stop it. This is about not facing reality.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I used to have a blast skiing deep snow in the trees at Stowe on Rossi 4S's.
    I can vividly recall certain (deep) powder days all over the place on Rossi 7S's, some of the best days I've had, but I have no desire to get back on those skis...
    Dex, I'm pretty sure I skied a few laps with you about 10 years ago at Magic, and if you are the person I remember, you were very good at skiing. I have no doubt you could learn to take advantage of a ski that lets you both rip pow like a racer AND get a little sideways when it helps.

If your only taste of rockered skis has been something like those banana shaped and colored DPS or some floppy-tipped Rossis (those OG Squad &'s are legit, though) I'm not surprised you didn't like them. I'd bet something with a long, low rocker profile and some metal will make you happy AND ski faster than ever.
    Yeah, we skied a few laps. I've been struggling to remember the day but just can't come up with anything about it. I can completely see the utility of the newer skis, just need to figure out which way to go. Could definitely be the Bodacious.
    [quote][//quote]

After all this should I clarify that when I first posted I was thinking about replacing my shit-kicker Scotts and not getting new pow skis??

Utagonian, somehow that Blister review actually makes me think that the XXL's are the better choice...
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    ...I am slightly tempted to just buy a new pair (whatever the best candidate is) and see how it goes (how dumb would that be?).
    No. Since your known tastes seem pretty narrow, I recommend that you first keep demo-ing more skis, with guidance from this forum, and hope that demo-ing experience helps you to either:
    A) discover some new hidden taste preferences that you never knew about yourself (possibly including a new taste for a variety of new skiing styles),
    OR
    B) further confirm that your tastes are truly set in your old ways of one-dimensional traditional skiing style.

And in the end, if you truly prefer old skis, then keep skiing old skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    ...Blister talked about doing a deep dive comparing mythic skis like the XXL and RC112 to newer chargers but never got around to it. I still would love to read such a comparison...
    I remember that, and I've been thinking about it for years. Inspired by Blister's abandoned idea, this winter I want to do a bunch of "old charger" A/B Tests, as a fun hobby to spice up my solo ski days during the COVID era---but my posts won't be at all like Blister's format. And I would love to compare my old chargers to "new chargers", but I don't know if I will be able to access many newer skis.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

After all this should I clarify that when I first posted I was thinking about replacing my shit-kicker Scotts and not getting new pow skis??

Utagonian, somehow that Blister review actually makes me think that the XXL's are the better choice...
    wow, try to demo a pair of faction ct2.0 on a sluschy spring day when on the corn hunt. uhhh these boards shine.
    btw they are a great pair of skis allround the mountain
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

DJSapp is online now (╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻
    How in the fuck are we on page 3 and nobody told Dex to just get a Praxis RX yet?
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

Yeah, those might be the right call...if I'm going to switch up my pow skis those certainly look like a leading candidate. Maybe the best candidate, from what I can tell by reading about them and what you and several others are saying.

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I DO like the turning radius on the XXL's. I believe when I first came across them (mighta been the year they came out skiing with Pow11 in Whistler) I was told I should get them because of how I like to ski and that they are 'SG skis for pow.' I think that's kind of accurate. Do I have to have a 40m radius ski? Not sure.

Stop it. This is about not facing reality.

I can vividly recall certain (deep) powder days all over the place on Rossi 7S's, some of the best days I've had, but I have no desire to get back on those skis...

Yeah, we skied a few laps. I've been struggling to remember the day but just can't come up with anything about it. I can completely see the utility of the newer skis, just need to figure out which way to go. Could definitely be the Bodacious.
    Dunno if Volkl have done anything to counter the alleged durability reports, but if those are no longer an issue (anybody here knows?), a pair of 193 Confessions might fit your needs and style.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    How in the fuck are we on page 3 and nobody told Dex to just get a Praxis RX yet?
    You can get them for 37 bucks.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Hey Dex, I remember when you core shot those skis at Plattekill pretty severely. Still on them?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Great point. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    No. Since your known tastes seem pretty narrow, I recommend that you first keep demo-ing more skis, with guidance from this forum, and hope that demo-ing experience helps you to either:
    A) discover some new hidden taste preferences that you never knew about yourself (possibly including a new taste for a variety of new skiing styles),
    OR
    B) further confirm that your tastes are truly set in your old ways of one-dimensional traditional skiing style.
    I'm not sure about one-dimensional traditional skiing style (thanks to sidecut I sure don't ski the same way I did in the 90's, and as someone who grew up both bump skiing and racing I don't think I'm so limited), but if you mean skiing from the front of the boot and driving the ski then yeah, I hope that's not going to change (and I like a ski that allows you/helps you to ski that way). I guess I don't understand why anyone would want to sacrifice power and what the ski can give you (and the best part of skiing, IMO, which is laying it over and powering through turns--that's what's so great about big pow skis, you can ski powder with big, powerful turns). I fully get that new shapes let you slarve and otherwise get sideways easily and are more versatile with turn shape etc., but if it's a real trade-off between that and being able to aggressively push then I know which one I'll choose. But it looks like a ski like the Bodacious could give you some of the newer things without sacrificing much.

I blame Rob Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Hey Dex, I remember when you core shot those skis at Plattekill pretty severely. Still on them?
    Wow, I forgot that that was the day I ran into you. Those were Gordy's XXX's. (Core shot pretty severely definitely applies--like six inches of edge hanging off, same amount of destroyed sidewall, and yes, some core shot). I was actually able to get Rossi to give me a ski to replace that one, so I kept skiing those things for a few more years (I remember just switching L/R that day and continuing to ski on them--that was a pretty good snow day). Haven't been on them since I got the XXL's (you can have those Rossis if you want, but I gave the Rossi Pro bindings away). You know that that was probably 18 years ago?
    [quote][//quote]

Yeah. Time flies.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

The answer is always yes.

Perhaps try snowboarding? It's simpler. All those guys argue about is bindings.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Should I get new skis?

I get why you hated the DPS. Not youíre reason, but related:
    An almost-friend bought DPS 112RPís basically because he liked my 1st generation versions. It was his 1st BC set-up, and first tech binding set-up.
    I randomly saw him at the local lift-served hill and he proceeds to tell me that heís kinda disappointed w/ them because they arenít that great on the groomers.
    I just stared at him.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

OK, that's funny. (I only tried them on a pow day so groomers weren't an issue, but I can make a pretty good guess about how they'd behave--I'm thinking snowlerblades with floppy stuff in front and back).
    [quote][//quote]

I'm not sure about one-dimensional traditional skiing style (thanks to sidecut I sure don't ski the same way I did in the 90's, and as someone who grew up both bump skiing and racing I don't think I'm so limited), but if you mean skiing from the front of the boot and driving the ski then yeah, I hope that's not going to change (and I like a ski that allows you/helps you to ski that way). I guess I don't understand why anyone would want to sacrifice power and what the ski can give you (and the best part of skiing, IMO, which is laying it over and powering through turns--that's what's so great about big pow skis, you can ski powder with big, powerful turns). I fully get that new shapes let you slarve and otherwise get sideways easily and are more versatile with turn shape etc., but if it's a real trade-off between that and being able to aggressively push then I know which one I'll choose. But it looks like a ski like the Bodacious could give you some of the newer things without sacrificing much.
    I have no race background, but I love to drive a ski from the tongue of my boot. I've only skied (and love) the Wrenegade 108s, but the 114 sure sounds like it could be up your alley.

Get the ones with the robot on them.
    Living vicariously through myself.

If you donít notice a big difference between your old skis and the new designs, then you are probably skiing the new ones the same way as your old skis. So yes, you need a couple of days on demos to figure out the difference in style.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Get the ones with the robot on them.
    I like it--kicking it old school.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    If you don’t notice a big difference between your old skis and the new designs, then you are probably skiing the new ones the same way as your old skis. So yes, you need a couple of days on demos to figure out the difference in style.
    Oh, I notice the difference. I don't really like the difference, but I very much notice. It does sound like I might notice but also like the difference on a few of these suggestions (Ebay already following me around with suggestions about Bodacious and other skis).
    [quote][//quote]

Would be a definite maybe but I'm not going to drill those things a third time (and I saw another pair with bindings and no extra mounts for $350).
    [quote][//quote]

fuck!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

OK, that's funny. (I only tried them on a pow day so groomers weren't an issue, but I can make a pretty good guess about how they'd behave--I'm thinking snowlerblades with floppy stuff in front and back).
    Hey, speaking of which, I have two pair of Phantoms in storage, the original you tried and talked about at Plattekill, and the improved model after. Still the most awesome tight eastern tree ski ever.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die