Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    you can change the float on an SPD by grinding on the rear plate in the pedal

I did that on some wellgo knock-offs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have been dragging a pair of Shimano SPDs around since I got my first grown-up bike when I was 16 (I'm 38). The PD-M747 model to be specific, probably the XT of BITD. I bought them with my own money, it was probably my very first bike-specific purchase. They crossed the pond with me and rode tons of miles until I retired from MTBing in 09. I moved them to my road bike for a while then I got a SS commuter and they went on that bike to rack up another bunch of miles. Who knows how many hours they've been in use...
    I almost put them on my Intense when I un-retired from MTBing but some jabroni convinced me to get the new XTs with platfom. Those don't work any better btw, I might ditch them at some point and get back on the old ones.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I like SPD pedals. I just got a new pair actually but just rode my old ones in the desert for a week. Intrigued by time pedals but why mess with a good thing?

I really like oval chainrings. I think they give you a little extra push on technical climbs and I honestly think they should come stock on all Yetis because they seem to just make the switch infinity suspension that much better. Since getting a free oval demo last summer, I've bought two to put on new bikes. I even contemplating buying one for the wife's bike haha

Anyone have go to grips? Something extra cushy. I've been using Deity Knuckledusters for a couple seasons and they are okay but only last a season or two and I still have some numbness pain on long descents. But I also think that could be the carbon bars(?)

I have a Deda Newton stem and bar that I bought in 2003....it is on it's third bike.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

They're new, but Reserve wheelsets are the balz

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I like SPD pedals. I just got a new pair actually but just rode my old ones in the desert for a week. Intrigued by time pedals but why mess with a good thing?

I really like oval chainrings. I think they give you a little extra push on technical climbs and I honestly think they should come stock on all Yetis because they seem to just make the switch infinity suspension that much better. Since getting a free oval demo last summer, I've bought two to put on new bikes. I even contemplating buying one for the wife's bike haha

Anyone have go to grips? Something extra cushy. I've been using Deity Knuckledusters for a couple seasons and they are okay but only last a season or two and I still have some numbness pain on long descents. But I also think that could be the carbon bars(?)
    I moved to foam grips after shredding my hands on some fancy Deity grips that all the bros recommended. Now using el-cheapo ESI grips, going back and forth between regular size and chunky. I destroy them crashing or smashing trees and don't mind replacing given the price. Super comfortable (especially noticeable now that I have 35mm carbon bars), steezy colors (I ran obnoxious yellow one on a black and gold bike, almost as fast as the red version), nothing to complain about.

+1 on ovals, never going back to round even if they make using a chain guide a PITA and probably increase chain slap quite a bit. Not my best bike purchase but not far off. Definitely put one on your better half's bike. I did for Ms Boissal, she hasn't complained of knee pain since and stopped grumbling about wanting an easier gear (even though I swapped a 32 round for a 32 oval).
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I moved to foam grips after shredding my hands on some fancy Deity grips that all the bros recommended. Now using el-cheapo ESI grips, going back and forth between regular size and chunky. I destroy them crashing or smashing trees and don't mind replacing given the price. Super comfortable (especially noticeable now that I have 35mm carbon bars), steezy colors (I ran obnoxious yellow one on a black and gold bike, almost as fast as the red version), nothing to complain about.
    ESI grips definitely belong in this thread. I have a nerve issue that occasionally bugs me in my thumb/hand and long downhills used to aggravate it. ESI grips have been the answer.

Well looks like I should try out some of the ESI grips. I have another riding buddy who swears by them as well.

best bike gear purchase so far

Well looks like I should try out some of the ESI grips. I have another riding buddy who swears by them as well.
    Funny that’s what I was going to say. But also pro full fender bolt on.

ProGuard BOLT ON

The ProGuard – BOLT ON is the first large direct mount mudguard of its type, it offers outstanding protection with the slickest most factory look available. There are no zip ties or velcro straps to ruin the clean lines on your bike as they are secured by bolts (supplied). We also have TILT BRACKETS which allow you to fine tune the fit angle of the mudguard, you can tilt the front/back up or down a few millimetres with 2 brackets (supplied).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I’m still riding a 2013 Xfusion Vengeance. The thing has been perfectly reliable and when I demo newer bikes with the latest RS or Fox offerings, they don’t seem any better...

The Airshot tubeless tire inflator took a frustrating task and made it a nonissue. I’ve purchased a compressor since I bought the airshot but the airshot is still used to seat tires. Just easier...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

My kids are all using the PNW grips which are priced right. I use Oury, and like them. You can rotate them as the silicon wears. I had those Dietys on a bike and felt like they are the same as wrapping your bar in tape.

^ word.

Kids grips and mine in waiting. Also like the lizard skin Northshore grips

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1559.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	343682

Oh yeah add that topeak d2 to the list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RM_MonoRailSolo_Straight_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	343685
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Ergon Saddle. Had it on my new bike all summer and it's the first seat that hasn't either made my balls go numb or my sit-bones rub raw.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Oh yeah add that topeak d2 to the list.
    Hell yeah that thing is gold. I harassed Ms Boissal for a long time about using it, girl would grab her bike and ride it regardless of tire pressure. I could have dropped her tires to 8 psi or pumped them up to 50 and I doubt she'd have noticed. I finally convinced her to check before riding and she lost the gauge a week later, had to buy a couple so mine is safe.

@powdork, that rack is sweet, we have one on the truck, bombproof but so freaking heavy! I need a 1UP for my Subi, thir racks deserved to be in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    My sidi genius and dominator shoes
    +1 on that. I have both and they're going on 16 seasons.
    Other than recently replacing the buckles on the dominators, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    +1 on that. I have both and they're going on 16 seasons.
    Other than recently replacing the buckles on the dominators, no issues.
    I have an old, old, old pair of Genius that I still break out in bad weather. And my Dragons are going strong after nearly a decade.

They’re not the “latest and greatest” or the lightest...and that initial outlay sure hurts the wallet...

But I bet in price-per-yr and comfiness, Sidi got to be one of the best values.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

1upUSA rack
    Topeak D2 Gauge
    Minions
    Five Ten Impacts
    ESI Super Chunky grips
    Air Shot Tubeless Inflator
    Ryobi 18v inflator
    By the time I die, I hope to have my kit so dialed in it just goes out and rides itself.
    However many are in a shit ton.

My bike, don't feel a strong need to upgrade...yet...
    Five10 shoes and Crank Bros Stamp pedals, really enjoying the switch to flats after 20yrs riding SPDs
    Fox shock pump with digital LCD gauge...small adjustments make a big difference
    Nashbar four place hitch rack that they don't sell any more...hitch racks are awesome, great for the rare occasion when I can get the whole fam out for a ride.

Only one I've got is the Bike Yoke Revive dropper post. Had many at this point and zero issues. Went through a lot of others before the Revive became the standard.

Also Sram 1x fucking changed the game. The parts we had to ghetto rig it to work was bullshit.

I had these Cannondale bike shorts that had a synch system in the crotch, so you could synch them up on the down so they don't catch your saddle. Those things were tough as hell too. I wore them for virtually every ride for 17 years and the snap finally pulled out of the fabric. They never tore, even in crazy skid to a stop crashes on granite and sandstone that have since hammered a few other pairs of shorts. I got them for like 70% off in 2000 or 2001 at an REI sale.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

What size? I have a pair I haven't used in years if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    SPD's are super reliable,i've never had a failure among several pair, I'm still using the same pair i bought > 20 yrs ago

the mud hasnt been too bad but they aren't good in snow cuz they clog with ice, i'm gona put flats on the new fat bike
    Put some Mr Zog's on your cleats and pedal. Just a little bit helps a great deal with ice and snow...Works for SPD's and ATACs

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Kinda inspired by the "end of life purchases" thread in the Padded Room and some recent discussion in here about shoes

I bought the Mavic Alpine XL shoes on the left in 2013. Have used them for every ride since then including multi day enduro stage races here and in Europe and numerous one day races. I've had to glue the sole back on once at the toe (and it needs it done again as you can see - the glue job fell apart last week). Before Mavic stopped making them I ordered a second pair on closeout that now sees use when the original pair needs fixing.

Mavic kinda owes me for all the blown up hubs over the years but these shoes have stood the test of time. Yeah they look like something out of the transformers but they are tough, light, and comfortable.

Attachment 343496

What do you have that has stood the test of time (other than spd pedals of course - I still have pairs in use from the 90s that have seen zero preventative maintenance done to them in 20 years)
    What size?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Tri?highlight=
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.