Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Well that was heavy.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Well that was heavy.
    He hit that tree fucking hard, whoa. I don't understand the never factored in "the lake being a terrain trap" comment? I am assuming because it goes from steep to flat? If that tree hadn't fucked him, he maybe could have skied it out.... "Our risk for the day was done" I don't understand that comment either. How would the risk for the day be done skiing that terrain? Not armchair quarterbacking, just don't get the comments, maybe I am misinterpreting or misunderstanding something though.

Damn that was an intense video.

Clarus the parent company that holds Pieps is holding their 3rd quarter conference call a week Monday - may be interesting to dial in and see if there is any talk of the Pieps issue.

SALT LAKE CITY, Oct. 28, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Clarus Corporation (NASDAQ: CLAR) (“Clarus” and/or the “Company”), a company focused on the outdoor and consumer industries, will hold a conference call on Monday, November 9, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time to discuss its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2020. The financial results will be reported in a press release after the close of regular stock market trading hours on the same day as the conference call.

Date: Monday, November 9, 2020Time: 5:00 p.m. Eastern time (3:00 p.m. Mountain time) Toll-free dial-in number: 1-877-511-3707International dial-in number: 1-786-815-8672Conference ID: 9449518

Please call the conference telephone number 5-10 minutes prior to the start time. An operator will register your name and organization.

Lets hop on there and give em hell.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I don't understand the never factored in "the lake being a terrain trap" comment?
    My best guess is that because the slope is so broken up by boulders and trees they thought that if anything did release it likely wouldn't contain enough volume of snow to be consequential. But because the slope ended with a quick transition to flat at the lake, a rather small avalanche was enough to bury him. He also ended up in a shallow gully. The concavity was just enough make all the snow that slid pile up in a very small area.

If you look closely you can see that he remotely breaks off a big block of snow (and maybe ice) hanging from the side of that small cliff, which then triggers the slide, which then slams him into the tree and buries him. This is the kind of unexpected mechanism that can get anyone into trouble if you're looking for evidence of safety rather than for potential risk. If he had planned to stay high and out of any gully's he would have been fine. But that wouldn't have looked as good on film. It was a sweet line until he got clocked.

Pieps Beacons under fire

well at least now folks are talking about the thing that hasn’t really been talked about yet with the Pieps thing - could/should the accident have been prevented/avoided in the first place?

the statement “our risk for the day was done” is a stupid one, especially coming from a hot shot pro

now I’m even more dubious that the beacon was even on in the first place
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Not buying all this hype. You get what you pay for. Maintain and check your gear. Having a hard time visualizing the perfect storm that would need to happen to depress a functioning button and slide the slider. Unless the button was worn out, in which case the user should have noticed when they were checking their gear. Beacons should be replaced, every 3 years I think is the professional standard? Pieps has offered a solution and that solution is being ignored on these guys social platforms. AHEM Mac and Nutt butter. These “pros” are making this problem worse and not offering to be part of a solution. Their sponsors should think about this emotional reaction moving forward and BD should consider suing them for libel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Not buying all this hype. You get what you pay for. Maintain and check your gear. Having a hard time visualizing the perfect storm that would need to happen to depress a functioning button and slide the slider. Unless the button was worn out, in which case the user should have noticed when they were checking their gear. Beacons should be replaced, every 3 years I think is the professional standard? Pieps has offered a solution and that solution is being ignored on these guys social platforms. AHEM Mac and Nutt butter. These “pros” are making this problem worse and not offering to be part of a solution. Their sponsors should think about this emotional reaction moving forward and BD should consider suing them for libel.

wow - that was about as Murica, lawyers, and imbecillic as one could squeeze into one run-on paragraph. I particularly enjoy the "every 3 years is the professional standard?"

Pieps Beacons under fire

Here’s a thoughtful piece from the Avalanche Review, discussing the lack of beacon age/usage standards from 2011.

https://www.mountwashingtonavalanche...Lane_.29.4.pdf

Here’s another from MtnTactical circa 2016

https://mtntactical.com/knowledge/cr...ross-industry/

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Submitted my warranty claim with BD on Sunday. Still no response email. How long did it take for them to get back to you?

I'm not that confident in the BD warranty Dept. I warrantied a jacket with them last year and they lost it for a month in their warehouse. I had to call to get them to finally repair the jacket and mail it back to me.
    I both did BD warranty and Pieps email (from the instagram). Pieps email replied first, told me to submit BD warranty...

I was skeptical at first too but you need to look closer at the mass of evidence that people have shared, not just the McNutt stuff. People have posted vids of beacons with seemingly functional buttons that become unlocked when simple placed in the harness. I was able to unlock the switch on mine just by rubbing it against my ribs while it sits in the harness. This was on a beacon that I was physically unable to force out of send without depressing the lock. The design is no bueno.

bullshit

Have you handled one of the beacons in question? Because you sound like you're talking out of your ass. Spooky easy to move that switch, no perfect storm needed. I'm not into piling on or witch hunting, but the design is flawed and we're not talking a toaster oven. People are relying on the thing to do what it was designed to do if buried as one of multiple mechanisms to add a factor of safety in the backcountry. And it cost a lot more than that toaster oven. 3 years, lol.

It's easy to believe a respected company like Pieps wouldn't let something like that slip thru to design completion, I do get that mentality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I had thought about the grade change but not 3D terrain breaking things up to a smaller slide, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    well at least now folks are talking about the thing that hasn’t really been talked about yet with the Pieps thing - could/should the accident have been prevented/avoided in the first place?

the statement “our risk for the day was done” is a stupid one, especially coming from a hot shot pro

now I’m even more dubious that the beacon was even on in the first place
    Yeah, in fact it sounded so stupid, I thought they must be referring to a specific risk they had moved past or something (ie. dicey conditions further back in)

If there was a question about if you know what you are talking about, then this statement answered it.

You get what you pay for? People paid $300 or more for these beacons, and you're arguing that we deserve it to be defective? Wut?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You get what you pay for? People paid $300 or more for these beacons, and you're arguing that we deserve it to be defective? Wut?
    Maybe he has the rebranded Gucci one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Yeah, in fact it sounded so stupid, I thought they must be referring to a specific risk they had moved past or something (ie. dicey conditions further back in)

honestly I stopped the video at 44 seconds after he said that
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Speaking of 300$, the thing that frustrates me all the time is pricing on these beacons. I bet their margin on them is what... 300%? 500%? even more? For hundred bucks you can buy a chinese smartphone that is packed with technology and functions, has camera, tons of different sensors, GPS, etc... And then you have an avalanche beacon that basically has 2 functions, and it costs 3 times more. How is that even working in 2020?

Quantity

Beacons are the TI calculators of the ski world.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

its now well documented there is a problem with the product, a switch lock which doesnt lock

which legally didnt matter but now BD knows so if some one is killed or injured using a peips BD could be big time sued

BD should be hoping this situ goes away without any big lawsuits and only costing a beacon replacement
    program which is gona happen anyway

the real question in my mind How do you feel about Covid ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-30-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

definitely, but I think what he was saying was basically one of those heuristic traps. I bet they were skiing monster lines earlier, and this was just a little end of day mini-golf, so they felt like all the big risk of the day was over.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

after a week at rogers pass " gona text GF we are safe " and he said " dude statisticaly speaking we are way more likely to die in a car crash than we ever were in an avalanche "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know