Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Pieps Beacons under fire

Big flap about the Pieps beaconson Instagram and among Facebook friends.

It stems from a crash with pro skier McNutt claiming his beacon malfunctioned.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/...-in-avalanche/

Anybody else have issues? Mine seems to be solid, and I知 curious.

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Sounds more like "ice chunks" under fire to me.

Even the prior design had switch issues. When in search mode the top of the plastic switch face protrudes above the beacon body. Sloppy design of an otherwise good beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Even the prior design had switch issues. When in search mode the top of the plastic switch face protrudes above the beacon body. Sloppy design of an otherwise good beacon.
    That is by design, so when you're in search mode and a second avalanche takes out a searcher, the beacon is pushed back into send mode.

That sounds like Bs.

But... I would be interested in proof that it works that way for a fail safe.

that style switch was more likely to break than function properly in my opinion

I wonder if that痴 why the sent me a Powder BT when I sought a repair to my DSP last Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    That is by design, so when you're in search mode and a second avalanche takes out a searcher, the beacon is pushed back into send mode.
    And if the protruding switch (with a hollow back, you know like a scoop) rips off the beacon? Also, how the hell is it supposed to push back into send mode?? It also protrudes in the off mode making it more of a pain in the ass to get out of the harness pouch. I like and trust the beacon, but it's a poorly thought out component of an otherwise good design IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    that style switch was more likely to break than function properly in my opinion
    I don't worry much in send mode, plus I'm almost always solo so the odds of it breaking in search mode (or me being found if buried) are pretty small. I do ski with partners occasionally and don't worry too much about it because I am cognizant of the issue. If caught in a secondary avalanche, I would think losing the beacon would actually be a bigger concern than the switch. Still sloppy though.

Maybe you are referring to something besides the plastic breaking though? I have wondered about that switch for patrollers and others that put it through the rigors just because the sliding design. I don't know if a contact might wear out or something?

copy that

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I wonder if that’s why the sent me a Powder BT when I sought a repair to my DSP last Spring.
    Are you talking about the version mikey b linked, or the prior version with the protruding switch? What was the issue with the DSP ?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    At least you died doing what you loved.
    I've been travelling the mountains alone for 40 years. If something happens it happens, bfd. I have talked to my kids about knowing that it was exactly what you stated, they are cool with it. I go where I want, when I want, and don't wait on anyone to show up to the party. Any other insight?

Are you talking about the version mikey b linked, or the prior version with the protruding switch? What was the issue with the DSP ?
    It was the prior yellow/grey version with the slider that protruded past the edge. I brought it to my local dealer who couldn稚 update it so it was sent back to SLC and they warranted a Powder BT in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    It was the prior yellow/grey version with the slider that protruded past the edge. I brought it to my local dealer who couldn稚 update it so it was sent back to SLC and they warranted a Powder BT in its place.
    Thanks for that info Peruvian.

3PG

I知 with ya - I do a lot of solo skiing - always have and always will

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    3PG

I’m with ya - I do a lot of solo skiing - always have and always will
    Thanks mikey b, I get a little crass just because of lectures about travelling solo mostly from people that haven't spent a single night alone in the outdoors. My dad had me doing that and learning how to light a fire in the middle of winter with one match when I was in my early teens.

Also, there is a reason some of the great conservationists and ecologists of our time spent a lot of time alone in the wilderness. You can never soak in and process things in a group the way you can when alone, that's lost on a lot of people though. Plus, I would have spent a lot less time outdoors if I was always trying to plan things with others.

My entire extended family is full of loners, must be genetic, lol. Sorry, rant over, back to beacons.

Thanks mikey b, I get a little crass just because of lectures about travelling solo mostly from people that haven't spent a single night alone in the outdoors. My dad had me doing that and learning how to light a fire in the middle of winter with one match when I was in my early teens.

Also, there is a reason some of the great conservationists and ecologists of our time spent a lot of time alone in the wilderness. You can never soak in and process things in a group the way you can when alone, that's lost on a lot of people though. Plus, I would have spent a lot less time outdoors if I was always trying to plan things with others.

My entire extended family is full of loners, must be genetic, lol.
    I grew up in the woods alone, I値l die in the woods alone. And I知 perfectly happy with it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Point of correction, the switch protruding in search mode was so that THE USER could quickly slap it back into send. Not the avalanche.
    Tracker 2 was the same concept.

Now I don't like that switch design but at the time that the OG DSP Pro came out it was probably the most technologically advanced beacon on the market. I don't recall when exactly it came out but well over 10 years ago. There are better beacons now.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I grew up in the woods alone, I値l die in the woods alone. And I知 perfectly happy with it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    damn straight!!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Point of correction, the switch protruding in search mode was so that THE USER could quickly slap it back into send. Not the avalanche.
    Tracker 2 was the same concept.
    That makes more sense from a design perspective at least. I think sometimes it's easy to focus too much on the positive side of a design concept and get wrapped up in the "eureka" moment without taking a step back to re-evaluate the bigger picture of how it might effect other aspects of the design under real world conditions.

It blows me away that any modern beacon doesn't have an auto revert to transmit mode built in, like a decade ago.

^^This

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It blows me away that any modern beacon doesn't have an auto revert to transmit mode built in, like a decade ago.
    Do they not? The dsp sport and pro both have auto revert to send, at least in the recent iterations.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app