Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Recall would admit fault. They'd open themselves up for all kinds of lawsuits -- particularly in the hanging lake incident.
    isnt a recall to demonstrate proactive safety measures to get ahead of potential lawsuits? & to remove unsafe product from the market?

also, isn't a voluntary buyback also an admission of fault?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    isnt a recall to demonstrate proactive safety measures to get ahead of potential lawsuits? & to remove unsafe product from the market?

also, isn't a voluntary buyback also an admission of fault?
    IANALawyer. Just my guess.

They aren't offering a "buyback" due to a "design flaw" -- it's an "upgrade" for user "confidence". The language they have used is all exceptionally careful.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Thanks, mine is under extended warranty but there have been mixed messages on that front. This is the email I received.

Users with Beacons purchased over two years ago are eligible to buy-up to another beacon model at the below rates:
    Pieps Powder BT: $100.00 USD
    Pieps Micro BT or Micro Sensor: $125.00 USD
    Pieps Pro BT: $150.00 USD
    Should you choose to send your beacon in and upgrade we will not be returning the DSP.
    This seems fair.

Just wanted to share that across the pond in the UK, Pieps Austria have gotten back to me.

They offered an upgrade to the Powder BT for €100 ($120) for my out of warranty (6 years old) DSP sport. I never mentioned I was out of warranty - though my email is registered on their site with the device (hard to believe they looked it up).

No offer of a pre-paid shipping label, nor any mention of being able to pay more for the pro-unit or the micro-BT. I've gone back to them to ask about it - to be fair €100 for a 6 year old unit isn't too bad - would not be a happy camper if I was in the extended warranty period and told I had to pay for the replacement/upgrade unit.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    This seems fair.
    I'm not necessarily complaining about that as an option (well, ok, I did complain a little), mainly that some people have >2 year old beacons being replaced for free and others with beacons of the same vintage still under warranty having to pay. (based on forum posts that I have seen)

I got off the phone w/ BD
    I was told that if it is still under 5yr warranty that they will honor that
    but she was cagey on specific offers and said that each case is an individual assessment of the submitted beacon

2017 letter to company asks for recall

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...-malfunctions/

I got off the phone w/ BD
    I was told that if it is still under 5yr warranty that they will honor that
    but she was cagey on specific offers and said that each case is an individual assessment of the submitted beacon
    That's the part that makes no sense. If it was a "the switch plastic is cracked = free replacement" "under warranty = replacement" or something similar, that would set a baseline at least. The willy nilly decision of who deserves a replacement vs who doesn't seems to be all over the place.

It wouldn’t surprise me if corporate was still trying to think of how to game this.

In a way BD seems to be coasting on good will left over from the old Metcalf/Chouinard days.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It wouldn’t surprise me if corporate was still trying to think of how to game this.

In a way BD seems to be coasting on good will left over from the old Metcalf/Chouinard days.
    I don't doubt that's what's going on, and I'm sure there are numerous staff involved scurrying to figure out how to approach this. They don't want to become the next North Face.

That's the part that makes no sense. If it was a "the switch plastic is cracked = free replacement" "under warranty = replacement" or something similar, that would set a baseline at least. The willy nilly decision of who deserves a replacement vs who doesn't seems to be all over the place.
    at some point, i think they have to acknowledge that even if a switch hasn't cracked to date, the switches still have that capacity to do so at the exact time they are most needed, based on the available info to date...despite their statement in these replies that they've "tested internally, via 3rd party and tested comparable product in the market" (or whatever that phrase was)

that's the ogre hanging over these things with no recall -- they are eminently aware of failures at this point. the whole replacement policy via upgrade or warranty replacement itself acknowledges that

at some point, i think they have to acknowledge that even if a switch hasn't cracked to date, the switches still have that capacity to do so based on the available info to date...despite their statement in these replies that they've "tested internally, via 3rd party and tested comparable product in the market" (or whatever that phrase was)

that's the ogre hanging over these things with no recall -- they are eminently aware of failures at this point. the whole replacement policy via upgrade or warranty replacement itself acknowledges that
    There is a one word answer, whether we like it or not.

attorneys (no offense intended Danno!)

at some point, i think they have to acknowledge that even if a switch hasn't cracked to date, the switches still have that capacity to do so at the exact time they are most needed, based on the available info to date...despite their statement in these replies that they've "tested internally, via 3rd party and tested comparable product in the market" (or whatever that phrase was)

^It must not be adding up to enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Mine is not, purchased from a buddy 2 years ago. At the time was 2ish years old.
    When you submit your claim to BD did you give them the original purchase date of the beacon or the date you bought it from your buddy? Did you show them a copy of the receipt?

There is a one word answer, whether we like it or not.

attorneys (no offense intended Danno!)
    none taken. Imagine if you were an oncologist and someone was bitching about podiatrists.

That said, the one word answer is actually "money".
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Pieps Beacons under fire

Quote Originally Posted by m1b8ac View Post
    When you submit your claim to BD did you give them the original purchase date of the beacon or the date you bought it from your buddy? Did you show them a copy of the receipt?
    I don’t recall, however, I bet if you send a PM to @Rontelle, he could check!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    none taken. Imagine if you were an oncologist and someone was bitching about podiatrists.

That said, the one word answer is actually "money".
    good points

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BD is now in possession of my beacon. Let's see how long it takes to hear from them...

Submitted my warranty claim with BD on Sunday. Still no response email. How long did it take for them to get back to you?

I'm not that confident in the BD warranty Dept. I warrantied a jacket with them last year and they lost it for a month in their warehouse. I had to call to get them to finally repair the jacket and mail it back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Submitted my warranty claim with BD on Sunday. Still no response email. How long did it take for them to get back to you?

I'm not that confident in the BD warranty Dept. I warrantied a jacket with them last year and they lost it for a month in their warehouse. I had to call to get them to finally process the warranty.
    They got back to me the next day. Check your spam folder?

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post

I'm not that confident in the BD warranty Dept. I warrantied a jacket with them last year and they lost it for a month in their warehouse. I had to call to get them to finally repair the jacket and mail it back to me.
    Damn, I shouldn't have used such a tiny box to ship mine, lol. Dropped mine at Fed Ex on Tuesday, probably didn't ship til yesterday though. Will post up what I hear back. I was able to activate the extended warranty and included a printout with the shipment. I would suggest folks definitely follow the BD note to write the RA# clearly visible on the outside of the package.

Maybe 4 days for me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Which contact method did you use?

This just hit the YouTube. Spoiler alert: they don't even mention the DPS or its flaw.
    swing your fucking sword.