Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    [...] Other companies have issues, too. Anyone else remember the Ortovox M2?- that was a way sketchier beacon with a faulty battery compartment.
    The extent to which that flaw could be replicated was widely disputed. (I certainly couldn't get an M2 to do that.)
    Plus the fix was just getting a new battery compartment door in the mail, with a tool-less swap.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    The extent to which that flaw could be replicated was widely disputed. (I certainly couldn't get an M2 to do that.)
    Plus the fix was just getting a new battery compartment door in the mail, with a tool-less swap.
    I had two partners with the M2 that I discovered were not transmitting at the trailhead check. Light tap on the beacon- working. Another light tap- not working. And in one of the two, the replacement did the same thing. Sketchiest beacon I've ever seen, thankfully they're too old for anyone to still use them.

^ Interesting -- and scary!
    They still work great though as targets for beacon testing, since the longer slender housing makes the transmitting antenna very easy to align accurately for testing purposes.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Still waiting

I contacted them ~10 days ago. Crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post
    I contacted them ~10 days ago. Crickets.
    I emailed pieps on 11/12, and they responded in a day or so telling me to fill out a warranty claim through the BD website. A week later and not a word on that.

Last I heard from them was. Beacon over 2 years old is eligible for the $100 upgrade to a new unit. Which unit, I don't know? I did ask, but no answer yet.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by niknoid View Post
    Last I heard from them was. Beacon over 2 years old is eligible for the $100 upgrade to a new unit. Which unit, I don't know? I did ask, but no answer yet.
    When I told them in the RA email that mine was less than 5 years old and I had registered it online to qualify for the 5 year warranty, they said I could get a free beacon of my choice from their current lineup. Have yet to receive the beacon.

I had another Pieps Pro that I bought for my son at evo - took it to their warranty dept. and they swapped it out for a new Guide BT, charging me the difference in the prices (~$24).

atta boy
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I dropped off my beacons at Black Diamond yesterday. The guy working there said a new batch had just arrived and they estimated a two week turnaround

^^ good to know. low tide so no rush from my side.

I've been back-and-forth with BD for almost a month. Sent my beacons off over two weeks ago. Got the "this will take longer, blah blah" email a few days later. Then that was it. Nothing.

I've sent off an email a few days ago asking what's the hold-up and haven't received a reply yet.

At this rate, I'd be surprised to see anything by Christmas. This experience with them has left a bad impression. I'm never buying a BD product again.

I started the process within hours of when BD announced they'd be replacing beacons. It took a month. My old beacon was over 5 years old, so out of warranty and I had to pay $100. People with beacons still under warranty got their replacement faster.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Pieps Beacons under fire

I can attest to Fritschi warranty website being wonky. Registered a pair of bindings last week, and now the site won’t let me add another. Just goes round and round.

And a BD return (with an RA) of ski poles has been sitting there over a week with no action.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by HurtonBair View Post
    I've been back-and-forth with BD for almost a month. Sent my beacons off over two weeks ago. Got the "this will take longer, blah blah" email a few days later. Then that was it. Nothing.

I've sent off an email a few days ago asking what's the hold-up and haven't received a reply yet.

At this rate, I'd be surprised to see anything by Christmas. This experience with them has left a bad impression. I'm never buying a BD product again.
    I totally get why they're overwhelmed—trying to scale to replace this many beacons has to be taxing every part of their warranty infrastructure—but I'm also looking at it an example of a silver lining of the current East Coast conditions. If I were living somewhere with skiable backcountry right now, I'd be a lot more anxious.

BD got my beacon 11/2, and so far all I have is an email saying it could take 1-2 weeks to get back to me. Right now it's still pretty thin around here so I'm more worried about hitting rocks in an avalanche than getting buried, but that could change quickly. My old BCA tracker works, but it isn't exactly ideal.

I finally sent them a note to get an update on what's going on...
    they've been silent since the fedex confirmation of arrival, which was Fri 10/30

beacons seem to be avail at retail, but not from the mfr?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    beacons seem to be avail at retail, but not from the mfr?
    When BD received my beacon they had the BD branded ones in stock but not the Pieps versions. They would only let me use the discount code on the Pieps version so I had to wait until they were in stock. They are now sold out again.

When I asked why couldn't get the BD version the customer service rep who responded (several days later) said something like "I have the same question, but I haven't been able to get an answer."

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    When BD received my beacon they had the BD branded ones in stock but not the Pieps versions. They would only let me use the discount code on the Pieps version so I had to wait until they were in stock. They are now sold out again.

When I asked why couldn't get the BD version the customer service rep who responded (several days later) said something like "I have the same question, but I haven't been able to get an answer."
    My bet is that it's the legal and accounting departments ;-)
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I started the process within hours of when BD announced they'd be replacing beacons. It took a month. My old beacon was over 5 years old, so out of warranty and I had to pay $100. People with beacons still under warranty got their replacement faster.

Really ? I am going to take advantage of that. My DSP is 8-10 years old. Thanks !

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Really ? I am going to take advantage of that. My DSP is 8-10 years old. Thanks !

Harry, that is probably the older version (yellow with gray slider switch) that is not part of the warranty replacement. Although who knows. You should ask and then let me know what they say, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

I think it has to be from the previous generation with the flawed button lock. If it is you should do it.

Sent back my wife’s 8 year old beacon, and am getting a brand new one for $100. Wish I could get a similar deal on all my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Sent back my wife’s 8 year old beacon, and am getting a brand new one for $100. Wish I could get a similar deal on all my gear.
    Is that the warranty version or the older yellow body / gray switch version like this one?

Name:  pieps.jpeg
Views: 381
Size:  5.9 KB

I sent one of those ^^^ in and asked for a discount (not full replacement)
    I also had a in-warranty sport model too that I expect replacement for.

Both Pieps brand, haven’t heard a peep yet (haha) since they’ve been received at BD

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Harry, that is probably the older version (yellow with gray slider switch) that is not part of the warranty replacement. Although who knows. You should ask and then let me know what they say, ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Is that the warranty version or the older yellow body / gray switch version like this one?

Name:  pieps.jpeg
Views: 381
Size:  5.9 KB
    ^^^ That is what mine looks like ^^^ .

It works fine, I inspected the switch carefully, no play or movement. Should I send it in to see what Pieps says ?

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters