Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    I would.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^^ That is what mine looks like ^^^ .

It works fine, I inspected the switch carefully, no play or movement. Should I send it in to see what Pieps says ?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    The switch design on this one could be better too, but not as worrisome to me as the warranty version. I'm comfortable with using the yellow/gray one but carry it in the harness. The biggest concern is how the plastic slider extends past the beacon body in search mode if a secondary avy hit. That seems it could snap off pretty easily. But just hoping the leash doesn't break would be just as much of a concern I would think.

I would definitely take advantage of a cheap upgrade if offered. Hopefully ::: ::: will update us on what he hears back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post
    I contacted them ~10 days ago. Crickets.
    This is the worst part and why I’ll never buy a BD product again. I can understand a shortage due to demand, but being completely uncommunicative to your customers is inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^^ That is what mine looks like ^^^ .

It works fine, I inspected the switch carefully, no play or movement. Should I send it in to see what Pieps says ?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Well dang! How did you phrase the question - just express FUD to BD about your gray Slider version?

I have 2 of them, and discounted upgrade would be great.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

i said: I had given the beacon to my teenager as a trusted if dated unit, but I lost confidence in it given the current public discussion and that they've redesigned the slider twice since that unit; and given its age I asked for a discount in lieu of a replacement
    [i didn't say it, but i think we all kinda questioned the slider the first time we all opened the box and turned it on: "this plastic thing is not gonna break?"]

it remains to be seen how they respond -- they did say to send it in, but silence since then

Since we're talking about the OG DSP, anyone who is still using the old grey/yellow, definitely do inspect the switch carefully. I was using mine up through last season -- 14 or 15 years, well past the "retire after 10 years" rule of thumb. I gave it a careful check last month and found this. Should have been inspecting annually and identified this sooner, no idea how long it's been this way. Definitely points out the flaw in the 'living hinge' engineering decision.

I'm not going to try for a return; it'll become a practice beacon.

FWIW I've had the same crickets experience.

FWIW - BD said somewhere that they are receiving THOUSANDS of beacons back right now. Which does not surprise me. We're talking almost every beacon they sold for about 5 years. Pieps has always sold well.

I don't know exactly how large BD's warranty department is. I can tell you that other major outdoor brands that I worked with in the past had very, very tiny warranty departments. Like 1 or 2 people, at VERY well known and recognizable brands. Again, I don't know, but I bet BD's warranty department is in the single digits in terms of staff numbers.

Add in the holidays, divide by the pandemic, carry the one..... yeah, I'm not expecting a fast response.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    FWIW - BD said somewhere that they are receiving THOUSANDS of beacons back right now. Which does not surprise me. We're talking almost every beacon they sold for about 5 years. Pieps has always sold well.

I don't know exactly how large BD's warranty department is. I can tell you that other major outdoor brands that I worked with in the past had very, very tiny warranty departments. Like 1 or 2 people, at VERY well known and recognizable brands. Again, I don't know, but I bet BD's warranty department is in the single digits in terms of staff numbers.

Add in the holidays, divide by the pandemic, carry the one..... yeah, I'm not expecting a fast response.
    Yep, and I totally saw this coming. Which is why I jumped on it quick, would have been even quicker if I had the beacon on hand at the time.

My GF just got her notification that they are shipping her new beacon in the mail shortly. Turn around time for this was about two weeks from the time they received her DSP in the mail. She was within the warranty period. This turn around seems pretty reasonable to me.

BD received my personal beacon first, but have not heard anything back from them yet. I am outside of the warranty period, so it would appear that they are prioritizing those that are in warranty.

Just got my notification. My Pieps DSP Pro was under the extended warranty. $100 to "upgrade" because of the age of the beacon. It's still under warranty, so I'm annoyed. Going to call BD and see what I can do. Not expecting much.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Just got my notification. My Pieps DSP Pro was under the extended warranty. $100 to "upgrade" because of the age of the beacon. It's still under warranty, so I'm annoyed. Going to call BD and see what I can do. Not expecting much.
    curious to see what happens. I think it's bullshit to offer and extended warranty then treat beacons differently based on which warranty they have. But of course it's also bullshit that some people under that extended warranty have received free beacons and others haven't.

I'm still waiting!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

+1
    that’s horseshit

So they've left thousands of customers without a crucial piece of equipment at the beginning of a season because they lacked the foresight to see this coming in the age of social media? Perhaps Pieps/BD shouldn't have kicked the can down the hall for so long.

The least they can do is get people to help with communicating what's going on. As of now, I've had three emails from as many weeks left unanswered. The worst thing a company can do to a customer is make them feel abandoned. That's how you lose them forever.

Edit: FWIW, Both beacons are within warranty.

It sounds like you got the initial email, not that they have your beacon in hand and sent that message? A lot of us got that message and got a free replacement with proof of extended warranty.

Just print your warranty card and include with the beacon. I don't think anyone on the forums that have included the extended warranty printout are having to pay for a beacon. Did you discuss this with BD, or just going off an email and haven't sent yours in yet?

I just now got the email giving code for $100 replacement beacon

My old beacon arrived back at BD on 11/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    It sounds like you got the initial email, not that they have your beacon in hand and sent that message? A lot of us got that message and got a free replacement with proof of extended warranty.

Just print your warranty card and include with the beacon. I don't think anyone on the forums that have included the extended warranty printout are having to pay for a beacon. Did you discuss this with BD, or just going off an email and haven't sent yours in yet?
    Unfortunately they got my beacon and my warranty card back in early November. After about 1/2 hour on hold I talked with someone at BD. He told me he'd look into the issue and email me back today. I'll update after I hear back. Hopefully it's just a mistake on their part.

Unfortunately they got my beacon and my warranty card back in early November. After about 1/2 hour on hold I talked with someone at BD. He told me he'd look into the issue and email me back today. I'll update after I hear back. Hopefully it's just a mistake on their part.
    Well if they are treating some extended warranties different than others, that's total BS. I didn't talk to them, just put the warranty in the box and they sent a new beacon. They keep referring to the 2 year warranty so I wonder if there is as much internal confusion as to what they are relaying to staff regarding the extended warranty. Maybe some are aware and some aren't. But their initial emails to different individuals was all over the place. I think they should have got their collective heads together and came up with a firm replacement policy (a warranty is a warranty regardless if extended to 5 years) before those first emails ever went out to customers.

Quote Originally Posted by HurtonBair View Post
    So they've left thousands of customers without a crucial piece of equipment at the beginning of a season because they lacked the foresight to see this coming in the age of social media? Perhaps Pieps/BD shouldn't have kicked the can down the hall for so long.

The least they can do is get people to help with communicating what's going on. As of now, I've had three emails from as many weeks left unanswered. The worst thing a company can do to a customer is make them feel abandoned. That's how you lose them forever.

Edit: FWIW, Both beacons are within warranty.
    It sucks to be waiting, but exactly what foresight are you referring to?

The news broke in early Fall, and for sake of argument, let's assume that there are claims in for half the beacons sold in the past 5 years.

So, BD needs 2.5 years of production (for replacement), plus whatever this year's order amounts to. This doesn't magically appear in a 6 week timeframe.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

this is what I got today in reference to a return they got on 11/06

—————-

Hello Mike,

During the holiday season and Covid-19 impact, our returns department has been back up. Rest assured, we are processing returns as quickly as possible. We expect most returns to be processed within a few weeks to a month. You will automatically receive the funds returned to your card. Thank you for understanding. We hope to assist you for future adventures. Please, let me know if you have additional questions.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

BD got back to me. It was a mix up on their end and I don't need to pay $100 for a new beacon. Replacement beacon should be shipping shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

The news broke in early Fall, and for sake of argument, let's assume that there are claims in for half the beacons sold in the past 5 years.

So, BD needs 2.5 years of production (for replacement), plus whatever this year's order amounts to. This doesn't magically appear in a 6 week timeframe.

... Thom
    There's been grumblings of this flaw for a couple years.

The McNutt incident happened in March.

It was only a matter of time they would get slammed.

Agian, my big issue is their lack of communication.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    just because the news broke for us in the fall doesn't mean they didn't know about it WAY earlier. It seems like they tried to avoid the problem, act like there was no problem, until it became a large issue that could not be ignored or denied and they were forced to act. So I think it's fair to criticize them for lack of foresight.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    just because the news broke for us in the fall doesn't mean they didn't know about it WAY earlier. It seems like they tried to avoid the problem, act like there was no problem, until it became a large issue that could not be ignored or denied and they were forced to act. So I think it's fair to criticize them for lack of foresight.
    somebody did sue them over this exact issue prior to this particular instagram eruption

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Good point.
    Galibier Design