Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Pieps Beacons under fire

I don’t know of any that don’t. That switch design was not meant to replace auto revert, but rather to allow user to quickly go from. search to send.

https://beaconreviews.com/transceiver_comparison.php

https://beaconreviews.com/revert_to_transmit.php

give yer balls a tug and do some reading ya tit fuckers
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

This is scary and I think the new pro was the solution. He had an older beacon it seems. Usually pros get the new models. I could see impact causing damage since the force would trash electronics. But switch design is poor and sounds like a recall. But I’m in my chair so there is that. But I am an engineer

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    That is by design, so when you're in search mode and a second avalanche takes out a searcher, the beacon is pushed back into send mode.
    I did not choose my words correctly. I was not insinuating that the avalanche would push the switch back to send, but an easy and quick push for the the searcher to place it back into send mode.
    Also the same reason it should always be tethered to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I did not choose my words correctly. I was not insinuating that the avalanche would push the switch back to send, but an easy and quick push for the the searcher to place it back into send mode.
    Also the same reason it should always be tethered to you.
    That makes more sense for sure, ha. And yes on tether, although I hope I'm never in the situation of relying on it to not break!

Pieps Beacons under fire

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1602773096.892064.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	437.6 KB 
ID:	343529

This stuff is being shared around pretty wildly, and the scuttlebutt is that two folks died last year in the Tetons due to the faulty switch.

I have the older version of the DSP, so obviously this concerns me.

Pieps Beacons under fire

So does anyone know if the underlying switch mechanism beneath the plastic slider is the same on new vs older designs with the switch that extends past the beacon body, or is that a redesign? I know it looks different from the outside, but maybe the guts of the switch contact mechanism didn't change?

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    So does anyone know if the underlying switch mechanism beneath the plastic slider is the same on new vs older designs with the switch that extends past the beacon body, or is that a redesign? I know it looks different from the outside, but maybe the guts of the switch contact mechanism didn't change?
    The locking mechanism at least on the current model beacons is definitely different (since it's a slider rather than a push button).

hmm, not something you want to feel insecure about.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I had a buddy who's "press" button cracked and the whole thing could and would just slide around. He finally sent it in and they quickly replaced. But in the meantime it would drive me crazy. I'd just randomly search on him to see what mode he happened to be in at any given time - but also at the top of any run

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Point of correction, the switch protruding in search mode was so that THE USER could quickly slap it back into send. Not the avalanche.
    Tracker 2 was the same concept.

Now I don't like that switch design but at the time that the OG DSP Pro came out it was probably the most technologically advanced beacon on the market. I don't recall when exactly it came out but well over 10 years ago. There are better beacons now.
    Yup ... > 10 years. I got my DSP Pro in the 06/07 season.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Beaconreviews page on the switch issue:. https://beaconreviews.com/Specs_PiepsDSP_switch.php

I own this beacon, I see how that tab could break if the beacon is abused or worn improperly.

But... I’m not convinced I need to throw the beacon away and crucify BD.

Just inspect it before use, don’t bury it in hard goods at the bottom of the gear bag and Wear it correctly (screen in).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Beaconreviews page on the switch issue:. https://beaconreviews.com/Specs_PiepsDSP_switch.php

I own this beacon, I see how that tab could break if the beacon is abused or worn improperly.

Just inspect it before use, don’t bury it in hard goods at the bottom of the gear bag and Wear it correctly (screen in).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I pushed pretty damn hard hard in my button and it wouldn't budge out of send. I wonder if a slight difference in how the plastic comes out of the mold results in some buttons that are sturdy and some that will too easily snap out of send. Or does the tab wear down if you repeatedly switch modes without fully depressing the "lock?"

I think I'm going to stick with mine for now, but keep checking the integrity of the switch. I do think Pieps/BD should replace any of these that have this problem, even if they're a bit out of warranty. But I've switched between modes hundreds of times and it still feels solid.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Right, screen in.

mine broke

screen in

Pieps harness or BD/Pieps pants pocket

but I won't shit can the unit or crucify the manufacturer/marketer/seller

Pieps Beacons under fire

I heard about this a bit last year- it became my practice to test it both directions after putting it in send. I figure if it doesn’t break - I am good. If it does move - time for a new one. I have yet to get it to budge. However, I have had it where I was part way between functions and it will slide back to off.

I've had this issue before with this beacon - broken plastic switch did enable it to move somewhat freely between the different settings. I walked into the BD warranty office in SLC & walked out with with a new BD Recon 5 minutes later. I ski with my beacon in my pants pocket daily including inbounds days because why not, so I didnt think much of it given the heavy use.

good to beep inbounds

Pieps Beacons under fire

I use a pieps almost daily at work for several years and haven’t seen this problem nor have I heard my coworkers experience it, I inspect it daily and wear it in a harness
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    good to beep inbounds
    ...if you have avalanche rescue training or at least the awareness and presence of mind to turn that bitch off if there's an inbounds avalanche and you're not an active part of the rescue efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I use a pieps almost daily at work for several years and haven’t seen this problem nor have I heard my coworkers experience it, I inspect it daily and wear it in a harness

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ...if you have avalanche rescue training or at least the awareness and presence of mind to turn that bitch off if there's an inbounds avalanche and you're not an active part of the rescue efforts.
    very good point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I just checked my DPS Pro, the button is not cracked, I tried to “slide” the switch without pushing the button and didn’t seem likely to move...but...with very light pressure on the button it easily slid into a different position....

Very worrisome

Were these deaths and incidents in October or September in the Southern Hemisphere?

Why did it take several months for this to become an issue? Was this the result of a months long investigation? What triggered the sudden social media blitzkrieg?

I have a Pieps with the gray slider; no issues. But good to know that there may be something. I'll be on the lookout now.