Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dalbello Lupo Air Fit Question

Thinking of picking up a pair of Dalbello Lupo Air 130 for a touring set-up. However, none of the shops in a 2 hour drive of me carry the boot.

My downhill boot is a Dalbello Krypton (98mm last), which is a great fit for me out of the box. As I understand, the Lupo Air is 1mm wider in each direction, which adds up to quite a bit. That said, this is a touring boot so a little more room for the foot to expand seems like not a bad idea. This is my first touring setup, so appreciate any insights - anyone out there have both the Krypton and the Lupo Air and can opine on fit? I like the idea of no removable tongue to deal with on the Lupo Air, as well as the low weight. Or should I play it safe and stick with the Lupo Pro or Lupo 130 C?

Cheers.

How far do you drive to ski? Personally I would not hesitate to drive a couple hours to try on some boots.

The Pro HD and 130C use the same 98mm last as the Krypton but both weigh a ton and have pretty lame walk modes. I would recommend trying on the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD and Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro (if you can find one). The new Quantum Asolo Factory is a fully-realized 99mm ultra light boot, but maybe not what you're looking for if you have no experience touring on light gear . . .

Edit to add: . . . no disrespect, but everyone has their own definition of what is "too light" in a touring boot and at 950 grams in a 26.5 the QAF is well below what most people feel comfortable with for a general touring boot (meaning in deep snow, funky snow, sketchy terrain, etc. - not just spring and summer corn), even though it skis exceptionally well for a boot that light.
    Last edited by gregL; 10-14-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    How far do you drive to ski? Personally I would not hesitate to drive a couple hours to try on some boots.

The Pro HD and 130C use the same 98mm last as the Krypton but both weigh a ton and have pretty lame walk modes. I would recommend trying on the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD and Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro (if you can find one). The new Quantum Asolo Factory is a fully-realized 99mm ultra light boot, but maybe not what you're looking for if you have no experience touring on light gear . . .

Edit to add: . . . no disrespect, but everyone has their own definition of what is "too light" in a touring boot and at 950 grams in a 26.5 the QAF is well below what most people feel comfortable with for a general touring boot (meaning in deep snow, funky snow, sketchy terrain, etc. - not just spring and summer corn), even though it skis exceptionally well for a boot that light.
    Hey gregL -

I have no issues driving 2 hours. Problem is the closest shop with the Lupo Air is 6.5 hours away, so bit more of a commitment.

I did try on the Hawx Ultra XTD 130. I find the sizing of that boot odd. The 25.5 felt quite a bit shorter compared to my 25.5 Kryptons, resulting in my toes scrunched up, and the the 26.5 was too roomy. Also, the instep of the 25.5 was unbelievably tight, to the point where I had serious difficulty putting on the boot. When I was jamming my foot in and out of the Hawx, really made me miss my cabrio Dalbellos, which led me down to looking at the Lupo Air. I have not tried the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro.

No disrespect taken, but yea agree the QAF at 950 grams is a bit out there. As I understand there's no ability for a bootfitter to work on it either, and with the crazy construction and no buckles, probably let that one sit in the market and garner some reviews before considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan5 View Post
    Hey gregL -

I have no issues driving 2 hours. Problem is the closest shop with the Lupo Air is 6.5 hours away, so bit more of a commitment.

I did try on the Hawx Ultra XTD 130. I find the sizing of that boot odd. The 25.5 felt quite a bit shorter compared to my 25.5 Kryptons, resulting in my toes scrunched up, and the the 26.5 was too roomy. Also, the instep of the 25.5 was unbelievably tight, to the point where I had serious difficulty putting on the boot. When I was jamming my foot in and out of the Hawx, really made me miss my cabrio Dalbellos, which led me down to looking at the Lupo Air. I have not tried the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro.

No disrespect taken, but yea agree the QAF at 950 grams is a bit out there. As I understand there's no ability for a bootfitter to work on it either, and with the crazy construction and no buckles, probably let that one sit in the market and garner some reviews before considering it.
    I keep loooking at the lupo air as well because i really like my lupo c ti. There is a lupo air 130 thread that you may find more about how theyre fitting people. Im just following along seeing updates as they come

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Thanks. I had seen that thread, and have the exact same concern as you (albeit coming from a Krypton vs your C Ti) on fit with the AX-based last. Have you had a chance to try the Lupo Airs?

I guess I could go into a shop and try the Lupo AX and see how that fits. Might end up doing that later this week.

Going down a bit of a rabbit hole with gregL's suggeston the Quantum Asolo Factory too now... with that at a 99mm last, might just be the perfect fit...

Thanks. I had seen that thread, and have the exact same concern as you (albeit coming from a Krypton vs your C Ti) on fit with the AX-based last. Have you had a chance to try the Lupo Airs?

I guess I could go into a shop and try the Lupo AX and see how that fits. Might end up doing that later this week.
    I havent tried it on. Trying not to get ahead of my self until work starts this month. It looks like the air 130 is a similar last to the lupo c and the less stiff air is the wider last. Maybe im mistaken. They do sell them in town so i aim to try it on at the end of the month or early nov. I'll update how they compare if/when i get in for a try

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I havent tried it on. Trying not to get ahead of my self until work starts this month. It looks like the air 130 is a similar last to the lupo c and the less stiff air is the wider last. Maybe im mistaken. They do sell them in town so i aim to try it on at the end of the month or early nov. I'll update how they compare if/when i get in for a try

The Lupo Air 130 is on a 100mm last, vs the Lupo C on the KR2 last at 98mm.

See here for Lupo Air 130: https://www.dalbello.it/en-us/boots/...air-130-11469/

See here for Lupo 130 C: https://www.dalbello.it/en-us/boots/...o-130-c-11468/

Please do update when you get in for a try.

The Lupo Air 130 is on a 100mm last, vs the Lupo C on the KR2 last at 98mm.

See here for Lupo Air 130: https://www.dalbello.it/en-us/boots/...air-130-11469/

See here for Lupo 130 C: https://www.dalbello.it/en-us/boots/...o-130-c-11468/

Please do update when you get in for a try.
    I will . Thanks for clarifying

Hey gregL -

Can't ya just abuse a place like backcountry.com? Order a boot, try it, send back...fuck that place use them if you can and send it all back. Just a thought.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Going down a bit of a rabbit hole with gregL's suggeston the Quantum Asolo Factory too now... with that at a 99mm last, might just be the perfect fit...
    They will probably fit fine, and yes, they can be punched for width though Dalbello specifically says not to. I can't tell you if they will be too light for your purposes or not - what ski/binding are you planning on?

As for the Hawx Ultra XTD, yes, they run short and are hard to put on/take off. Nothing beats a three-piece shell design for accessibility. You will probably find yourself swimming in the Lupo AX 120.

Also, the instep of the 25.5 was unbelievably tight, to the point where I had serious difficulty putting on the boot. When I was jamming my foot in and out of the Hawx, really made me miss my cabrio Dalbellos, which led me down to looking at the Lupo Air. I have not tried the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro.
    It's not that the instep is that tight (once you get it on your foot), it's that the cuff circumference is about 1.5 inches smaller than anything else on the market. While I feel this makes the boot ski very well, it is a pain getting past the "bend" at the ankle. People complain that the Zero G is also hard to put on, but it's not nearly as tough as the Ultra XTD. If you're contemplating something as heavy as a 130C, it would make sense to try on the Lange XT3 LV, too - lighter and fairly easy to put on.

So for the last few seasons, I have been in the Lupo Factory (98), HD pro (98) & the AX120 (100mm) & a frankenboot Factory Cuff on the AX120 clog (100mm). I have found that the differences in weight / performance favor spending the $$ on a lighter liner & not any of the particular models. For example - the cuff differences in the carbon factory vs the AX120 is only a whopping 5 grams each. A lighter liner can shave 150 grams per boot. There's a substantial fit difference from 100 to 98 in that some times 100 is too sloppy & causes slight discomfort when wet, if I don't wear a thick enough sock as the foot can slide around more. (Yes, they are fit correctly - I just like em snug....). I see no purpose for the Quantum if you will ever encunter lift served as the Frankenboot with the upper + lower buckles removed skis great with a mid buckle & a Booster, yet comes in @1300 grams & I can swap out tongues for stiffness.

They will probably fit fine, and yes, they can be punched for width though Dalbello specifically says not to. I can't tell you if they will be too light for your purposes or not - what ski/binding are you planning on?

As for the Hawx Ultra XTD, yes, they run short and are hard to put on/take off. Nothing beats a three-piece shell design for accessibility. You will probably find yourself swimming in the Lupo AX 120.
    I will go in this week and try out the AX 120, should give a good indication of fit for the Lupo Airs I think.

I have a G3 setup - G3 Seekr 110s and Ion LTs that I plan to use these with.

It's not that the instep is that tight (once you get it on your foot), it's that the cuff circumference is about 1.5 inches smaller than anything else on the market. While I feel this makes the boot ski very well, it is a pain getting past the "bend" at the ankle. People complain that the Zero G is also hard to put on, but it's not nearly as tough as the Ultra XTD. If you're contemplating something as heavy as a 130C, it would make sense to try on the Lange XT3 LV, too - lighter and fairly easy to put on.
    The cuff circumference makes sense. The heel-lock in the Hawx was terrific once I managed to mangle my foot in. I will add the Zero G and the Lange XT3 LV to the list of boots to try, appreciate the info and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    So for the last few seasons, I have been in the Lupo Factory (98), HD pro (98) & the AX120 (100mm) & a frankenboot Factory Cuff on the AX120 clog (100mm). I have found that the differences in weight / performance favor spending the $$ on a lighter liner & not any of the particular models. For example - the cuff differences in the carbon factory vs the AX120 is only a whopping 5 grams each. A lighter liner can shave 150 grams per boot. There's a substantial fit difference from 100 to 98 in that some times 100 is too sloppy & causes slight discomfort when wet, if I don't wear a thick enough sock as the foot can slide around more. (Yes, they are fit correctly - I just like em snug....). I see no purpose for the Quantum if you will ever encunter lift served as the Frankenboot with the upper + lower buckles removed skis great with a mid buckle & a Booster, yet comes in @1300 grams & I can swap out tongues for stiffness.
    That is interesting intel, particularly on the weight difference in the cuff. So you're skiing your Frankenboot with just a mid buckle and booster? Interesting.

Ya interesting info in here. Also i think gregL has fitted a boot or 10. I can't remember seeing a pic of irip's boot , if there was one. That'd be cool to see in ski mode.

In the long tradition of offering an opinion on something nobody asked about, Im a huge fan of my Zero G Pro. If you can, I'd recommend trying them on before you make a decision on the dalbello or anything else. They're light and ski great.

Dalbello Lupo Air Fit Question

I tried the Lupo Air last year, having the Krypton, Lupo SP and Lupo Factory. The Air fits quite a bit bigger for the same shell size and is not really like the others except in name. I liked the Zero G better, even though I had to punch them to get a comfortable fit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Your 100% right they fit bigger than your other dalbellos. All the boots you mentioned are the 98mm last. Air is the 100mm last like all the AX models. Come off the same molds as the 98mm but plastic is 1mm thinner on AX line to get to the 2mm last difference. I've owned a few dalbellos now, kr2, Lupo ti, ti carbon, ax125, air130 and prefer the 98mm for sure but for long days of walking the air130 is light, comfortable and skis great too.

To the OP message me if you want my opinion but otherwise I've got some post on the other thread and blister already. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    I tried the Lupo Air last year, having the Krypton, Lupo SP and Lupo Factory. The Air fits quite a bit bigger for the same shell size and is not really like the others except in name. I liked the Zero G better, even though I had to punch them to get a comfortable fit.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to try the Zero G. Whereabouts in Squamish did you find the Lupo Air to try??

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Your 100% right they fit bigger than your other dalbellos. All the boots you mentioned are the 98mm last. Air is the 100mm last like all the AX models. Come off the same molds as the 98mm but plastic is 1mm thinner on AX line to get to the 2mm last difference. I've owned a few dalbellos now, kr2, Lupo ti, ti carbon, ax125, air130 and prefer the 98mm for sure but for long days of walking the air130 is light, comfortable and skis great too.

To the OP message me if you want my opinion but otherwise I've got some post on the other thread and blister already. Good luck in your search.
    I tried the air130 on the shop. Everything seems ok, but the boot seems softer forcing forward than my zero g pro tour. Shop guy thinks they are stiff enough, and i respect his opinion.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to try the Zero G. Whereabouts in Squamish did you find the Lupo Air to try??
    Excess Backcountry in Whistler had them last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I tried the air130 on the shop. Everything seems ok, but the boot seems softer forcing forward than my zero g pro tour. Shop guy thinks they are stiff enough, and i respect his opinion.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    I have 0 experience with the tecnica boots. Mine are plenty stiff for me. Different flex pattern but similar power to the Lupo carbon.

Anyone here know what the differences between the Lupo 130 C and Lupo HD Pro are? Most concerned about cuff height.. I might be trippin but the Lupo 130 C looks like it goes up the calf a bit more