Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Skypilot-Brohm-Cloudburst etc
    Duffey-Rutherford-Hurley etc

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You’re kidding, right? Not the areas that are ok for Squamishites and Pembertonians but you telling them what are. I have the most sensitive sarcasm meter ever and the needle didn’t even move. Just making sure it doesn’t need new batteries.

What's the southern limit for Whistler being the "local mountain?" Does Squamish count or not? Britannia Beach?

I'd say you've got a hard sell telling people in either Pemberton or Squamish that W-B isn't the local mountain.

It needs to come from WB/Vail.
    Use pass data and restrict to local residents.
    If the edge card/pass has a non primary mailing address restrict it.

Locals get the hill

WB gets the $ and time to cess out protocols.

Welcome back others when the order is lifted.

Pretty good chance if that was applied, there would be only one mountain open, and minimal lifts running.

It’s an interesting situation. I wonder if there’s an incentive to open regardless to mitigate necessity of refunds? Didn’t see any fine print about that situation (mountain open but government restrictions or recommendations prevent pass holder from using pass).

And of course the moral conundrum for citiots: you know the recommendation and spirit is to not go to Whistler, but will you play ball when it’s dumping or rationalize why it’s ok, e.g. “I won’t go into any lodges/stores/gas stations, wear mask, ski alone etc.”

thing about Pemby/Whistler/Squamish is that there is already very high integration of those communities due to employment factors. And really, WB actively lobbying those local gov's and the regional district to not support another local ski area, GAS, means that they want to be our monopolistic local hill.

It needs to come from WB/Vail.
    Use pass data and restrict to local residents.
    If the edge card/pass has a non primary mailing address restrict it.

Locals get the hill

WB gets the $ and time to cess out protocols.

Welcome back others when the order is lifted.

So anyone who lives in Whistler for the winter including seasonal staff but who have their pass or card under their summer address elsewhere would be banned under your plan?

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    And of course the moral conundrum for citiots: you know the recommendation and spirit is to not go to Whistler, but will you play ball when it’s dumping or rationalize why it’s ok,”
    I think most people know the current recommendation and spirit (stay home and, if you ski, ski at the closest resort to your front door). The conflict comes from the recommendation and spirit being different from the rules, which allow for travel for sport within (but not between or in and out of) health regions (Whistler and Vancouver are in the same health region). Having that gap between the verbal recommendations and the written rules is what leads to people arguing over what should be done vs what they are allowed to do. As always, I could be reading the rules incorrectly, but they seem pretty clear when you go to the source order and not the summary web pages.

I think the real risk to Whistler's ski season is it's current out break - 100% of the locations on the VCHR on the list of exposure sites are in Whistler - from my layman's perspective you've got to suspect that they are considering shutting the hill down to prevent huge influxes of people there every weekend.
    Last edited by knowsam; 11-20-2020 at 10:06 AM.

the messaging is so frustrating. with masks and now travel restrictions. "strongly recommend" and "should" aren't good enough. people are self-interested assholes. if something is deemed necessary, just make it law and fine to enforce.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    the messaging is so frustrating. with masks and now travel restrictions. "strongly recommend" and "should" aren't good enough. people are self-interested assholes. if something is deemed necessary, just make it law and fine to enforce.
    When I hear "strongly recommended" and "should" to me it means that I can still do it because I'm so much smarter and more careful than everyone else. I know I'm not actually, but that's the perception our monkey brains have.

BECAUSE OF X DO NOT DO Y UNTIL Z DATE would be far more effective, I think. But we'd still do shit, I guess. Only way to stop it is to close things down.

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post

Until there's a law in place and/or whistler either closes down or won't accept passes from certain areas, me being in the coastal health district, will use my season pass. My season's pass is as valid as anyone's.

Vail one of the biggest shorts on the market, read into what XYZ said... yoy losses, resorts mandatory shutdowns. Massive debt. Rough spot.
    Would be amazing if there could be some sort of comraderie between the S2S (yes this includes yvr) as the resort would never have existed without there being a city 1.5 hours south. It will cease to exist if YVR is cut out of the mix, especially with a US border closure. It's like saying Vail/Beaver Creek can exist without Denver... at least they have an airport...
    This is a harbinger of bad times, the least we could be doing here is respecting that everyone here is hoping for the best, good health and worker/patron safety and the for resort to open and stay open. Why not take into consideration the hard financial factors that are required for WB to stay open. Hoping for the best, expecting the worse. Anti-vigilantism when faced with a healthcare crisis is my M.O.

The reason there is/has been friction between whistler locals and people from Vancouver (in my experience) has played out so well in this thread. The entitlement that Vancouverites feel over Whistler is fucking brutal. Its all plainly displayed in this thread.

You are being specifically being asked to stay in your local area to ski and you say you don't care

I know right now i'm upset about people coming to town, and its not to protect my pow stashes. Its about putting pressure on our communities resources. Nothing more.

If you can just stay the fuck in your area, much like has been requested repeatedly by authorities, then perhaps we will have a proper ski season, maybe it will start Dec 7th. Maybe later. This current "rules don't apply to me" will ensure we go directly back into lockdown and there will be no ski season for anyone. Cant you people see this???????

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    This current "rules don't apply to me" will ensure we go directly back into lockdown and there will be no ski season for anyone. Cant you people see this???????
    This.

Just last week we were told not to come to Squamish to ride bikes , but now it’s okay to come up here and ski ?

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    Just last week we were told not to come to Squamish to ride bikes , but now it’s okay to come up here and ski ?
    I like the way last year in April/May people from Pemberton told people from Whistler not to go ride their bikes there. Right neighbourly.

Everyone stay out of Alpine Meadows! Go back to Creekside ya bums

who told you that?

The reason there is/has been friction between whistler locals and people from Vancouver (in my experience) has played out so well in this thread. The entitlement that Vancouverites feel over Whistler is fucking brutal. Its all plainly displayed in this thread.

You are being specifically being asked to stay in your local area to ski and you say you don't care

I know right now i'm upset about people coming to town, and its not to protect my pow stashes. Its about putting pressure on our communities resources. Nothing more.

If you can just stay the fuck in your area, much like has been requested repeatedly by authorities, then perhaps we will have a proper ski season, maybe it will start Dec 7th. Maybe later. This current "rules don't apply to me" will ensure we go directly back into lockdown and there will be no ski season for anyone. Cant you people see this???????
    Who is "you" in this post - are you referring to me? I live in neither Vancouver nor Whistler and don't have a dog in this fight - all I'm pointing out is the rules and the requests are not consistent with each other and it would be better if that was not the case. Otherwise, you can't complain that they aren't following the rules, the rules allow travel to Whistler from Vancouver for skiing - though clearly the spirit and intent is that they stay home. Either they allow it and make that clear or prohibit it and enforce the prohibition, but the "it's allowed, but you shouldn't" won't work. And let's be honest, if you live in Whistler, when the slope opens, you're going to go skiing, because its allowed, even though you shouldn't under the stay at home requests.

And I guess I'd also point, from the point of view of someone living in neither city, both cities have people who are acting ridiculously entitled.

That very much goes both ways.

Whistler folks are just as much: "fuck you, you don't live here" as much as city folks are: "fuck you whistler wouldn't be here without us".

Either way, I think the issue is that there's a lot of inconsistency around messaging and plans.

Either, the government says people shouldn't travel, should put restrictions in place, and _maybe_ WB tries to control it somehow (but I agree that feels far fetched). Or they don't.

The "you shouldn't travel" message that's currently in place and will interpret by people as they see fit, be it right or wrong, depending on how you look at this whole pandemic.

Personally do I agree that people from Van shouldn't be skiing in Whistler from the city? Not really. There's many ways you can minimize risk of transmission.

Will I go skiing in Whistler? Probably not, I'm trying to be a good citizen and abide by government recommendations even if I don't necessarily agree with them. Does that mean everyone will do the same? Nope.

Should the government be more consistent and clear?

Abso-fucking-lutely.

So instead of everyone fucking bitching and complaining about who can and can't ski where and when. If you're skiing whistler, have a fucking great time, and if you can't, and skiing is your only outlet, then fuck I feel sorry for you. Go ride a bike or something.

There's no 'right' way to handle this, so people need to fucking relax.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    who told you that?
    SORCA.

I don't have the mental bandwidth for this, its not bringing anything positive, so im bowing out of the conversation.
    I'll post some stoke when we are all skiing again.
    Hope you all get some great turns wherever you ski this year.

I must've missed that SORCA comment, shitty and really wet down here anyway! maybe see ya out on the hill at some point.

Sorca. Anyway my issue isn’t people staying local or not staying local , but you can’t have it both ways

Well all arguments aside, I just checked and bookings are maxed out for opening weekend... The stoke is high!

If WB is open the LM is going to ski it. People in the valley gunna ski Hemlock and Manning. What I don't think we'll see is LM head to Big White/SS/Sun Peaks for the weekends.

Sorca. Anyway my issue isn’t people staying local or not staying local , but you can’t have it both ways
    I'm not sorca and I don't really GAF if people come from whistler and ride