Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    The ferry isn't cheap and it effectively isolates you from the rest of BC.
    Which could probably break either into the plus or minus column depending on one's outlook...

At least it's cheaper than the island one as you only pay one way.

SSC is a mix of rednecks and hippies but has more recently been invaded by townies as they cash out of the city.

All depends on what you're actually looking for there.

Would it be a permanent or just a "place to get away on weekends"?

It's crap for ski access. It's amazing for mountain biking.

Bowen almost functions like a Vancouver suburb these days, personally it's not far enough from the city to "get away" from much.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Would it be a permanent or just a "place to get away on weekends"?
    Permanent, preferably, but that would depend on whether we can get Canadian residency.

I would only live there if you are really into mountain biking. If you care about skiing it will suck. Just convince her of Squamish or Pemberton.

Thing might have changed since I was a kid, but I was in same school district growing up as the kids on Bowen, and they had to take a ferry to the mainland every morning - that ferry (and making the last one) played a big role in lives. Good kids though, tightknit group and real sense of committee (back then).

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Thing might have changed since I was a kid, but I was in same school district growing up as the kids on Bowen, and they had to take a ferry to the mainland every morning - that ferry (and making the last one) played a big role in lives. Good kids though, tightknit group and real sense of committee (back then).
    Yeah, looks like last ferry back to the island leaves Horseshoe Bay at 10:00 pm. Can't exactly rage and make it back for that last ferry--not that that is exactly on my radar these days.

Blackcomb alpine opened today ... 7th Heaven.

Last season, it opened Dec 26, two weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
    Blackcomb alpine opened today ... 7th Heaven.

Last season, it opened Dec 26, two weeks later.
    Yep. Been a great early season. Think i had 5 days at this point last year. At 18 already this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Yep. Been a great early season. Think i had 5 days at this point last year. At 18 already this year.
    Aye. 11 already and legitimately good days with negligible crowds and people very courteous

A mere 15 days for me. Only 2 were pow-less. Good start. Nice to have 7th open today. That steep ass skin to the top was gettin old.

Reserving the weekends before mid-week seems to be best. Next weekend is booked already - I couldn't book it because i blew my days on mon-fri. Lesson learned.

It's also into the xmas season, I think from early Jan onward weekends will become easy to book again. I have to say - between the slight inconvenience of having to booking keeping the half-hearted at home, and the caps on capacity, so far this has been ok. I'm starting to think I'd be willing to pay a fair bit more on my pass if they kept the caps (and the reso) system.... Imagine how fast lines would be with the same crowds we're seeing now and no social distancing on the gondi!

That would help justify the Garibaldi resort too, spread the current whistler crowd between two hills.

If was getting to the point that I would avoid the resort on any predicted powders days that landed on Thurs - Sun, just cause the line-ups were too long (sleepers are a different matter).

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    A mere 15 days for me. Only 2 were pow-less. Good start. Nice to have 7th open today. That steep ass skin to the top was gettin old.

Reserving the weekends before mid-week seems to be best. Next weekend is booked already - I couldn't book it because i blew my days on mon-fri. Lesson learned.
    Only Saturday is booked, Sunday 20th is still open.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 09.12.21.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	352680

Was better than somewhere like Vail:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 09.14.23.png 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	352681

Sunday 20th has no spaces for us. Duffy day!

A bit of a flare up between SAR and TEAMMS. It got spicy in the comments on South Coast Touring and then was deleted. The discussion is continuing on Reddit and elsewhere on the Fbook

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouverhi..._sar_services/

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...5&id=700535054

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    A bit of a flare up between SAR and TEAMMS. It got spicy in the comments on South Coast Touring and then was deleted. The discussion is continuing on Reddit and elsewhere on the Fbook

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouverhi..._sar_services/

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...5&id=700535054

I dont pretend to understand the nuances of all that stuff, but after being around a couple of different guiding outfits, they were very excited to be able to call Blackcomb Heli and get it all covered.
    To me it makes sense if you have an InReach already and are pushing the limits or having paying clients. To me i feel more comfortable calling these guys as its a paid service that i specifically pay into, rather than calling on SAR who are all volleys.
    I feel theres a bit of stigma in calling SAR these days, like if you call them its an admission of guilt, and that you were being dumb.

I dont pretend to understand the nuances of all that stuff, but after being around a couple of different guiding outfits, they were very excited to be able to call Blackcomb Heli and get it all covered.
    To me it makes sense if you have an InReach already and are pushing the limits or having paying clients. To me i feel more comfortable calling these guys as its a paid service that i specifically pay into, rather than calling on SAR who are all volleys.
    I feel theres a bit of stigma in calling SAR these days, like if you call them its an admission of guilt, and that you were being dumb.
    On the flip side of that, shit happens. For a paid service, people could feel more comfortable calling that outfit instead of good old SAR. Which is a shame. There's nothing wrong with an admission of guilt, if it's going to save a life. Period. This is exactly why SAR doesn't charge for their services, and the pro climber accident reference in that piece proves their point.

I think the northshore/squamish/ whistler needs a dedicated paid SAR,

the gov needs to pay at least some of the SAR we already have as opposed to another seperate group
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For the past 3 or 4 years, the BC gov has greatly increased funding to SAR groups. Unfortunately, that funding is not certain, and is disbursed on an annual basis, so long-term planning and investment is still a challenge.
    I can not speak to the lower mainland and S2S area, the interior simply does not see that level of traffic. But in the remote interior, we do sometimes struggle with timely response for higher-level expertise. There was talk bout creating a regional model for specialized teams, that could possibly be at least partially paid, to ensure quick deployment to remote areas needing those services. A doubled edged sword as this might remove training funding from the local groups for those specialized services, like technical rope, avalanche response, and swiftwater.

Challenging conversations, not made simpler when volunteer SAR attracts very passionate type A personalities. I wish this particular topic could wait until after COVID-19 passes, though. Just managing training and regular business of keeping our societies functioning at peak capacity is a challenge right now. Which may be another reason the arguments being presented are so passionate.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I don’t believe it’s as simple as $50 a year getting you a prompt free rescue.

it’s my understanding that the $50 gets you the phone number to TEAMM. The rescue will be billed at full freight, so likely thousands of dollars. If you also purchase rescue insurance from another US based organization (another $30), then you are covered. But I believe that American based insurance company decides who they will task, and they generally task the local police. So in the S2S that’s the RCMP, who will then likely task SAR.

At the very least it seems that TEAMMS is being slightly disingenuous about how the whole thing works. Throw in long standing volunteers with perhaps some turf to protect, lots of hurt feelings and name calling thrown in to spice it up, and it’s a popcorn worthy shitstorm

Edit to add: there’s definitely a worthy case for TEAMMS in some settings. They’re able to fill a gap for industrial rescue. Also, commercial guides in the area currently can either self rescue or call SAR (or patrol). That’s not really the purpose of either of those organizations. These guides now have another option.

Lots of talented mountain rescue people on all sides of this discussion.
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 12-13-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Only Saturday is booked, Sunday 20th is still open.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 09.12.21.png 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	352680

Was better than somewhere like Vail:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 09.14.23.png 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	352681
    You must of caught the millisecond it was available. It’s been unavailable to me all day but I’ve been refreshing periodically. Managed to snag the 19th eventually. Both days actually became available at one point but were gone before I could press confirm.

So Lee, if you really want Sunday, just keep refreshing.

I’m in the refresh train for Sunday too. Wish I could swap it for the Saturday

Whistler/Vail North 2020/2021

I’m in the refresh train for Sunday too. Wish I could swap it for the Saturday
    I think the play is use priority days for weekends beyond 7 days. Recycle them as they free up when you use them.

Yup refreshing but not too butthurt if we can't get Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Sunday 20th has no spaces for us. Duffy day!
    ....pray for snow then

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.