Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 725 of 900
  1. #701
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bestcoast
    Posts
    1,727
    and actually, the ER doctor didn't say anything about postive covid tests, it was just patients visiting the ER on their trips from those places and the chance they could be spreading covid along the way https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-19-1.5870771

  2. #702
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    350
    Dropping in to 800m of pow.


    Name:  Image1611080163.958879.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  192.1 KB

    Then a few hrs later-brown pow

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611080321.602671.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	358688


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

  3. #703
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Dropping in to 800m of pow.


    Name:  Image1611080163.958879.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  192.1 KB

    Then a few hrs later-brown pow

    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks for the stoke. This thread sucks right now!
    I think I saw these two tracks yesterday from Rohr?
    Th only snap I got from two good days out. Scuzz was hanging around a lot on Sunday unfortunately and yesterday was ok but not great conditions. Still great to be in the sun!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4938.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	947.2 KB 
ID:	358689

  4. #704
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    778
    so why is it assumed that localism is a bad thing?
    true localism is about keeping things in check. It's about a community of people trying to keep things tight for those who are respectful, and let people who aren't know that they should be.
    Being a local has a bit to do with where you were born or live, but mostly it's about time spent doing and being; and whether that time made a contribution to the local community around a thing. It's about understanding and respecting the history and the established pecking order and habits, albeit sometimes with a firm nudge the yet uninitiated. Without localism, or at least what it should be, shit goes unchecked and it all falls apart if everyone does what they want without consideration or situational awareness because "nobody owns the ocean/mountains man!". I've seen it in a few sports.
    Sure, some "locals" do some shit that crosses the line, and unfortunately that becomes misrepresentative of 'localism'. Be respectful and you won't experience that. But also, pay attention to who is crying foul. It's often someone taking a stand against something they just don't understand because getting offended is easy. And just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

    Re: Lee. I ain't got no dog in this fight. but sitting here with popcorn I'd say if you want to get through it, perhaps instead of treating it like a trial where you need to defend yourself on technical specifics, realize that you need to appeal to humans and their emotions and thoughts about you. I mean.. I guess it depends on what you care about clearing your name for though; legal charges or the court of the community.

  5. #705
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post

    Re: Lee. I ain't got no dog in this fight. but sitting here with popcorn I'd say if you want to get through it, perhaps instead of treating it like a trial where you need to defend yourself on technical specifics, realize that you need to appeal to humans and their emotions and thoughts about you. I mean.. I guess it depends on what you care about clearing your name for though; legal charges or the court of the community.
    Judo - I thought about turning the other cheek and ignoring it. But the way Sylvie put it out on social media the mob got involved. Whether or not I liked it this became a public trial. And sure Sylvie accused me but the pitchforks then dragged in my wife; with the mob being here on TGR and on Sylvie's facebook posts.

    There's a very simple way to establish my innocence in this public trial and that's for my offer to have poo samples tested. I'm also fully aware that Sylvie supporters and Lee haters will not believe a word I say no matter the outcome and I accept that as I cannot change people's opinions. Likewise there are my friends who believe me without my need to offer to submit to a (degrading) poo sample. I'm also aware of the "methinks thou doth protest too much" perception (ie why am I so vehement about this). But I didn't do this. I can prove it. So let me prove it.

  6. #706
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    so why is it assumed that localism is a bad thing?
    true localism is about keeping things in check. It's about a community of people trying to keep things tight for those who are respectful, and let people who aren't know that they should be.
    Being a local has a bit to do with where you were born or live, but mostly it's about time spent doing and being; and whether that time made a contribution to the local community around a thing. It's about understanding and respecting the history and the established pecking order and habits, albeit sometimes with a firm nudge the yet uninitiated. Without localism, or at least what it should be, shit goes unchecked and it all falls apart if everyone does what they want without consideration or situational awareness because "nobody owns the ocean/mountains man!". I've seen it in a few sports.
    Sure, some "locals" do some shit that crosses the line, and unfortunately that becomes misrepresentative of 'localism'. Be respectful and you won't experience that. But also, pay attention to who is crying foul. It's often someone taking a stand against something they just don't understand because getting offended is easy. And just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

    Re: Lee. I ain't got no dog in this fight. but sitting here with popcorn I'd say if you want to get through it, perhaps instead of treating it like a trial where you need to defend yourself on technical specifics, realize that you need to appeal to humans and their emotions and thoughts about you. I mean.. I guess it depends on what you care about clearing your name for though; legal charges or the court of the community.
    There's a difference between "hey around here we do things like this" and "I don't want anyone else coming here." The first one is great and promotes respect for culture and all that stuff, the second just makes everyone angry with each other.

    I think the poo-accuser should have to also provide a sample. This looks like a classic frame-up smear campaign! Had no idea there was such drama in the corridor, puregravity would get to the bottom of this in an hour where is he?

  7. #707
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    1,717
    Whoís to say the accuser didnít get a little to close to someones BF or husband in the community, shaft someone money or have an unresolved dispute. The perpetrator simply was driving by and saw her car and seized the opportunity. The poo smear is retribution for something bigger then skiing over top of someone which leaves doubt Lee is the perpetrator.

  8. #708
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    6,321
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Who’s to say the accuser didn’t get a little to close to someones BF or husband in the community, shaft someone money or have an unresolved dispute.
    Who? Literally everyone in the S2S who's ever met the accuser would say the accuser has never done the above.

  9. #709
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Dropping in to 800m of pow.


    Name:  Image1611080163.958879.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  192.1 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    nice, slalok starting to look filled in too

  10. #710
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In a pineapple and wants to ski
    Posts
    1,667
    Please remind me not to sign up for a weekend at the Duffy Ski Couples Retreat and Renewal Center. Quotes below are from the memoir of one of the retreat and renewal centers recent visitors. This whole affair also brings back fond memories. If I might share first ...

    In my teen years, we went swimming one night in a very wealthy bugger's estate pool. I mean rich as in Tesla Founder rich. We sneaked onto the massive property with a lavish pool out of sight of the main house as it was down a long backdrop on the property. We got into our birthday bathing suits and then splashed about for half an hour. Then, at precisely 1:31 AM, one of my friends dumped a big long one in the pool. We watched in amazement at that long Oh-Henry colored manatee-sized feces relaxing leisurely -- as if it had been finally set free from the bowels of a hot dog and pizza aficionado.

    Rumour has it that the log jammed the pools filter pump mechanism, causing an electrical spike that fused the pool clock hand and permanently stopped it from running after 1:31 AM every night.

    That poop was trespassing and vandalism of sorts. However, as per the couple's memoir, "all 4 door handles, windshield wiper, gas cap and final poop left on windshield", this sounds like a form of retaliation. So ... we are looking for someone that has a complex palate in situational-justice and/or creative retribution terms, that also has a good eye for not missing any fine details.

    Some research is in order! Someone please go out and apply some moist sticky loosely held together mud logs carefully to your vehicle: all 4 door handles, windshield wipers, gas cap and leave some on the windshield. Make sure not to get the mud on your own hands. How long did it take you? Whoever the smearer is, they took a chance that the activities required would not be seen by someone else returning to their vehicle. Perhaps they took their chances, perhaps they knew where the vehicle's owners were and how much time they had.


    >> "Has this happened to anyone else on the Duffy?"

    I can't recall ever hearing of this in the entire Sea To Sky, never mind Duffy. But bears have been known to wreck cars trying to get inside. No poop news as far as I remember.
    In search of diversion, many crew Members defy the quarantine restrictions and pick up pets from the various habitable worlds they explore (Sure Thing, Isaac Asimov). Skiing in denim states beautifully, radically, and unequivocally, ďI donít give a shit.Ē (Leslie Anthony)

  11. #711
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In a pineapple and wants to ski
    Posts
    1,667
    A quick question though for Lee about something someone said in their memoir from last Friday's events at the Duffy Ski Couples Retreat and Renewal Center:

    >> "We said Hi but they didn't recognize us as they were busy on their phone. We de-skinned in separate areas. They skied down first and chose the left 'tree lane' and we waited then went down the right tree lane where there were no tracks. We spaced out and didn't ski over the top of anybody. As each of us skied down the slope this couple appeared in the trees partway down like they had traversed over from one lane to the next. Impossible for us to know this as their tracks went left and then all of a sudden"


    You were all there together at some point? Did you talk with the other couple before hitting the proverbial 'send' button? Did you discuss the plans of where you were going to ski?

    Maybe you did and it just wasn't mentioned. It isn't easy to see down a backcountry ski zone. The bowling ball effect makes it nearly impossible sometimes to see what is below on some runs, and with trees, glare, terrain changes, need for constant attention, shadows and [insert other factors here]. That 'Hi' moment seems like a prime opportunity to create good vibes and practice defensive communication.

    Was there any communication about what each party was going to do? How do other people ensure that others they meet on the skin up or along en-route don't conflict with one's own plans?
    Last edited by puregravity; 01-19-2021 at 08:16 PM. Reason: "send button" as in "sending it down the ski run"
    In search of diversion, many crew Members defy the quarantine restrictions and pick up pets from the various habitable worlds they explore (Sure Thing, Isaac Asimov). Skiing in denim states beautifully, radically, and unequivocally, ďI donít give a shit.Ē (Leslie Anthony)

  12. #712
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Creekside
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    That isn't what you posted at all, not even close.

    "Yeh why not, apparently a lot of the people testing positive for Covid in Whistler are recent arrivals from ON and QU fleeing their lockdowns, surprising I know that the people who are traveling, are the ones who are infected. Come on out and help us close down."

    Seems pretty close to me, but if you think it isnít, I apologize for not being clearer about a rumor.

  13. #713
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Who? Literally everyone in the S2S who's ever met the accuser would say the accuser has never done the above.
    The world can be a dark place behind closed doors....the cover of the book doesnít always tell the story...

    I donít know her and I donít know LL either but reality is we donít know the real story....anything is possible and nothing should be discluded....

  14. #714
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    647
    Just going to leave this here.
    Someone has to have this on tape !

    https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayc...l/www/182.html
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

  15. #715
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whistler
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    Just going to leave this here.
    Someone has to have this on tape !

    https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayc...l/www/182.html
    A link to a camera that hasn't been working in months?

  16. #716
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    3,240
    Soooo..... did you guys start in one lane and then traverse to the other lee? that part of the story doesn’t add up as I would think there would be understanding if they started in a different lane and ended up on top of you.

  17. #717
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,985
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Dickheads are rare here. Even the ones online who seem abrasive are probably awesome people in real life.
    This, and similar comments, are something that I read quite often on this board and strongly disagree with. Who you are online is part of who you are. Not necessarily the whole picture, but if you're an asshole/douche/bully/etc online, that's part of who you are and shows how you treat people in certain aspects of life. People seem to think that online is not 'real life' and yet people have ended their lives because of how they were treated online. Treat people with respect and how you would treat them if you were in the same room as them having the same discussion.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

  18. #718
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,490
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Soooo..... did you guys start in one lane and then traverse to the other lee? that part of the story doesn’t add up as I would think there would be understanding if they started in a different lane and ended up on top of you.
    It was a broad ridge with decent lines of sights down trees on a cold clear day. Not hallways but open lanes. They had passed us and I heard them continuing down the ridge. Thinking they continued I cut over to some trees to transition. The trees blocked my view of them at that point but I knew they were uphill as they had distance. We started down fall line then diagonalled into another lane without traversing. It's more like a soft left turn then a harder right then repeat, if you know what I mean. It was just the way the fall-line and snow set you up. we leapfrogged each other down slope with me stopping above a tree and Shar below.

    That's when I saw the male in the group skiing above me. He saw me, we made eye contact and he kept gunning. I yelled to Shar to stay put, that there were people skiing above us and to freeze and not move. That's when I saw the other two people (the two females above me). They too kept going.

    Learning point for me and perhaps a useful post generally for ski-touring. I don't like to chat to other groups on the skintrack other than to wave my poles to say hi. Shar is more social. Next time I'll ask where they're skiing so as to ensure that we're not on top of each other. Because we were the only two groups out on such a broad ridge with good signtlines I assumed there wouldn't be conflict. That was a poor assumption.

    I've always assumed that you should always try to look downslope and make sure its clear before dropping in. That's also a poor assumption on my part as there can always be poor sightlines. I can't imagine that they deliberately dropped in on us knowing we were there so must assume there must have a dip or some trees (sparse as they were at treeline) .
    Perhaps its to be proactive and protect oneself from groups uphill dropping in by communicating. Lots of poo (pun intended) could have been mitigated if I'd protected myself and Shar better. Always something to learn I suppose

    GE snapshot approximated. Blue is us. Red is Sylvie's group. I know they started above us as they passed us and were ahead and above. Don't know where exactly they skied after we intersected but their account was they skied fall-line. After we intersected them we hard traversed as we didn't want to ski on top of them.

    Name:  estimatepath.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  134.5 KB

  19. #719
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,430

    Whistler/Vail North 2020/2021

    Edit to delete phone pocket post gibberish
    Last edited by SeatownSlackey; 01-19-2021 at 11:48 PM.

  20. #720
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,262
    Now that pure gravity is on the case the car shitting, steel eating Squamish monster squirrel stands no chance.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  21. #721
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    This, and similar comments, are something that I read quite often on this board and strongly disagree with. Who you are online is part of who you are. Not necessarily the whole picture, but if you're an asshole/douche/bully/etc online, that's part of who you are and shows how you treat people in certain aspects of life. People seem to think that online is not 'real life' and yet people have ended their lives because of how they were treated online. Treat people with respect and how you would treat them if you were in the same room as them having the same discussion.
    Dunno, if I am a douche in Gta, does it mean I am a douche IRL? This isn't exactly real life but it isn't a game either.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  22. #722
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Now that pure gravity is on the case the car shitting, steel eating Squamish monster squirrel stands no chance.
    LOL



    Snow sucks, views are great
    Go skiing.
    Ya could be stuck in a lockdown, like the majority in this country.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611193945.673051.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	358894


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

  23. #723
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    2,981

    Whistler/Vail North 2020/2021

    Anyone hearing this chatter about Whistler Heli trying to get exclusive mechanized rights (shut out sledders) to Ipsoot, Phelix Creek, Soo valley, Snowspider, Twin One, Birkenhead etc?

    Edit: doesnít Whistler heli already have a massive tenure?
    Last edited by gramboh; 01-21-2021 at 01:03 AM.

  24. #724
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bestcoast
    Posts
    1,727
    they aren't really 'trying' it was a part of the LRMP process that happened many years ago (process began in 2001), the Province is only getting around to enforcing it now
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i.../seatosky-lrmp

  25. #725
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Creekside
    Posts
    1,515
    Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    they aren't really 'trying' it was a part of the LRMP process that happened many years ago (process began in 2001), the Province is only getting around to enforcing it now
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i.../seatosky-lrmp
    Yeh, basically it was signed into law last April, which means if they choose to do so, they could start fining people now. It certainly hasn’t made any difference to the number of people sledding up the Soo valley, and they haven’t changed the signs on the access road as it still says to make sure you have registration for your sled, but nothing about a closure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •