Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1314
  1. #1276
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    2,882
    I don't go to Whistler for the shopping. By April I'm done skiing. Historically March was the big snow month but not so much the last two years. Maybe it's climate change. If I was only spending a week in Whistler it would be the beginning of March. April is getting into spring skiing.

    Whistler is a great town to be a dirtbag skier. Lots of low paying job, lots of people to meet, lots to complain about Vail Resorts, lots of chances to catch an std...
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

  2. #1277
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Good point about Whistler being one of the few places where you can get by without owning a car in terms of transportation needs. However I have to ask the question: If you don't have the finances to afford a car and don't have a job, can you afford to live in Whistler for a winter? This ain't the 1970s.
    I can afford a winter in Whistler (and a car, if I so desired). The lack of a car is due to my current life plans: I don't have/need one now and I won't need one after this ski season for 6 months, so I'd rather not buy one now.

    That being said, open to any other BC recs (especially ones I could bus to from Whistler). I enjoyed Revelstoke years ago but Whistler seems like a great spot for so many reasons, including the ones gramboh mentioned.

  3. #1278
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    6,405
    It only rains on tourists.

    The best day of the season is the day after guys like DanoT have to heard home from their week ski vacation.

  4. #1279
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sun Peaks Resort
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    It only rains on tourists.

    The best day of the season is the day after guys like DanoT have to heard home from their week ski vacation.
    I have averaged 80 ski days/year, since 1974. So if I take a week vacation it will be more likely a vacation away from skiing.

    The Whistler locals have learned to ski between the rain drops, the tourists wear garbage bags with the WB logo, and the arm and neck holes already cut.

  5. #1280
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,582
    I'm a tourist who doesn't ski 80 days a year and I can say that a week in Whistler is awesome no matter what shit weather you get. That's the thing there - if the skiing sucks (which, no, it doesn't, you're just doing it wrong) there's lots of other shit to do for a day until the next one when the weather will be totally different. Having said that, my go-to is March. Long days, usually some warm sun, and a good chance at a snowstorm. Plus all the locals are just extra jaded by then so it's fun to tell them they're sharing a lift with some asshole from Ontario.

    A full season there should be on any skier's to-do list. Fool will make it happen!

    The best thing to do IMO would be to try to line up 3 months at 3 different places somehow. Like Whistler, Revy, KH. That would be killer. Of course if you have to work to finance this endeavor it's tough. But do that.

  6. #1281
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sun Peaks Resort
    Posts
    562
    My whole point is, if you are spending a winter in Whistler and are not tied to a job, take the oppourtunity if its in the budget, to visit some of the resorts in the B.C. Interior.
    Whistler is essentially a major US resort, located in Canada. The B.C. Interior has some anti Whistler resorts and some that are not really anti resort but are more laid back and empty mid week if not snowing. And then there is the dry snow.

  7. #1282
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    My whole point is, if you are spending a winter in Whistler and are not tied to a job, take the oppourtunity if its in the budget, to visit some of the resorts in the B.C. Interior.
    Whistler is essentially a major US resort, located in Canada. The B.C. Interior has some anti Whistler resorts and some that are not really anti resort but are more laid back and empty mid week if not snowing. And then there is the dry snow.
    Yeah I guess we said the same thing. I prefer the interior myself, but I'm tied to W/B because of who is in the family.

  8. #1283
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    A full season there should be on any skier's to-do list. Fool will make it happen!

    The best thing to do IMO would be to try to line up 3 months at 3 different places somehow. Like Whistler, Revy, KH. That would be killer. Of course if you have to work to finance this endeavor it's tough. But do that.
    I dig it. I think I could make it work...I just don't want to have to meet new people and make new friends every month. But if that's easier than I imagine - either with Mags or the more friendly Canadians - maybe it's worth doing. Just need to check on passes.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    My whole point is, if you are spending a winter in Whistler and are not tied to a job, take the oppourtunity if its in the budget, to visit some of the resorts in the B.C. Interior.
    Whistler is essentially a major US resort, located in Canada. The B.C. Interior has some anti Whistler resorts and some that are not really anti resort but are more laid back and empty mid week if not snowing. And then there is the dry snow.
    I like it. And I have heard great things about BC resorts so if I can't visit them for a month or multiple weeks, maybe I can at ski different spots for a week or so.

  9. #1284
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    7,378

    Whistler/Vail North 2020/2021

    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I dig it. I think I could make it work...I just don't want to have to meet new people and make new friends every month. But if that's easier than I imagine - either with Mags or the more friendly Canadians - maybe it's worth doing. Just need to check on passes.



    I like it. And I have heard great things about BC resorts so if I can't visit them for a month or multiple weeks, maybe I can at ski different spots for a week or so.
    If you have loads of cash, that’s the MO.
    But staying in one resort for the whole season/year will be much more cost effective.
    I live in Aspen. Ski and bike more than anyone on this board.
    If I spent a year anywhere else in NA, it would be in Whistler.

  10. #1285
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    632
    Consider Fernie.
    Smaller than Whistler but not a truck stop like Golden or Revelstoke. So it's a perfect size to meet people.
    Good terrain and conditions and plenty of slack country for weekends or breaks when Calgary people come into town.
    Plus ~3 hours to KH or Kootenay Pass, 4 hours to Red, 5 hours to Revelstoke.
    And if you chip gas money, people will give you rides to those places.

    Spent a winter there in my twenties and it was great. I don't know if there will be as many Scandinavians now with Covid, but those people are all time awesome to hang out with and the girls want to go home and say they hooked up with an American.

  11. #1286
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If you have loads of cash, that’s the MO.
    But staying in one resort for the whole season/year will be much more cost effective.
    I live in Aspen. Ski and bike more than anyone on this board.
    If I spent a year anywhere else in NA, it would be in Whistler.
    Aspen was on the list until I saw the season pass was $2k+...would love to spend more time there though. (Plus I figure it would be fun to do a winter in Canada).

    Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    Consider Fernie.
    Smaller than Whistler but not a truck stop like Golden or Revelstoke. So it's a perfect size to meet people.
    Good terrain and conditions and plenty of slack country for weekends or breaks when Calgary people come into town.
    Plus ~3 hours to KH or Kootenay Pass, 4 hours to Red, 5 hours to Revelstoke.
    And if you chip gas money, people will give you rides to those places.

    Spent a winter there in my twenties and it was great. I don't know if there will be as many Scandinavians now with Covid, but those people are all time awesome to hang out with and the girls want to go home and say they hooked up with an American.
    I had just talked to a mountain bike buddy who said he had a great time partying and drinking in Fernie...so very good to know. Sounds like I'll have to check it out, both for the skiing and Canadians.

    Theoretically, I could get a Fernie season pass, but that seems to be another $1k+, and I'm just not sure it's worth it. I have Epic and Ikon, so that means access to Whistler, SkiBig3, Revelstoke, Cypress, and Red Mountain. Maybe I'll base myself at Whistler and try to check out the other resorts on the pass if they are close enough. Would be fun, even for a week.

    Appreciate all the thoughts.

  12. #1287
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    3,062
    Fernie has amazing mountain biking. Haven't spent ski much time in the last 10 years but in the late 90's and 2000's it was an awesome place to ski and spend time in the winter and my limited experience was decent touring access without a sled.

    Revelstoke is awesome, and close to Roger's pass, so if you make friends you have access to some of the best ski touring in the world and pretty reliable snow. Haven't spent enough time in recent years to comment on the town. Mountain biking is also excellent.

    Golden has a great resort but unreliable snow, great slackcountry access but can be a touchy snowpack, good access to Rogers. Smaller town feel for sure.

    Nelson, Rossland and Terrace would be some others to consider depending on what you are looking for, I wouldn't bother with Banff/LL (grew up skiing there) over these other options, and don't bother skiing Cypress. From the info you've given you'll be happy in Whistler. I don't know how anyone who is serious about skiing could have a bad winter in Whistler (well maybe 2005). Don't listen to the naysayers, it snows a lot in Whistler and the snow quality is awesome the vast majority of the time. If you are there for a season you will ski a ton of deep snow and have amazing days (especially midweek). When it isn't snowing, there's enough slackcountry that you won't hit everything in one season either.

  13. #1288
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Creekside
    Posts
    1,568
    Epic pass gives you 7 days total at RCR resorts (Kicking Horse, Fernie, Kimberley and Nakiska ) don’t bother with Nakiska, and Kimberley is a family hill although if you can hit it on a powder day it has great glades.

  14. #1289
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sun Peaks Resort
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Aspen was on the list until I saw the season pass was $2k+...would love to spend more time there though. (Plus I figure it would be fun to do a winter in Canada).



    I had just talked to a mountain bike buddy who said he had a great time partying and drinking in Fernie...so very good to know. Sounds like I'll have to check it out, both for the skiing and Canadians.

    Theoretically, I could get a Fernie season pass, but that seems to be another $1k+, and I'm just not sure it's worth it. I have Epic and Ikon, so that means access to Whistler, SkiBig3, Revelstoke, Cypress, and Red Mountain. Maybe I'll base myself at Whistler and try to check out the other resorts on the pass if they are close enough. Would be fun, even for a week.
    Appreciate all the thoughts.
    Most places in Canada are not close to each other which is why I suggested having a car in an earlier post. Whistler does remain the best location to be if you are without transportation.

    Myself, I have plans to spend 5 or 6 weeks in Aspen, gypsying around the Roaring Fork valley in a popup truck camper this winter. However, I have put plans on hold for now until they get the border, the delta variant, and the vaccine sorted. Most likely my ski trips will be closer to home this winter.

  15. #1290
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N side, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    4,129
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Nelson, Rossland and Terrace would be some others to consider depending on what you are looking for,
    The snow is very heavy here. Suggest Sunpeaks.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  16. #1291
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,347
    I've been noticing that every post WB makes on Instagram gets lots of comments from people grousing they got "ripped off" last year by not getting a refund. Does anyone know what this is all about? Are they bitching because the mountains closed early, so they expected some kind of pro-rating on their pass price? I got a refund on my Edge card last season, but it was pretty cut-and-dry since I wasn't even able to enter the country.

  17. #1292
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    2,882
    I think a lot of Epic pass holders from Washington were out of luck because they could still go to US resorts. Some Ontario residents with Edge cards and plans for spring break were out of luck too.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

  18. #1293
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,347
    If I recall correctly, the resort shut down basically as soon as possible while still avoiding refunding all those who selected the "core season" insurance. Yes, a bit underhanded, but it still seems like they stuck to what they stipulated in the pass agreement. I can see why people would be pissed, but I also don't see why any of these people should get refunds (assuming I'm remembering everything correctly).

  19. #1294
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    I think a lot of Epic pass holders from Washington were out of luck because they could still go to US resorts. Some Ontario residents with Edge cards and plans for spring break were out of luck too.
    All Ontario residents with edge cards and plans for March break should have gotten a refund. My wife did. I flew out anyway and used mine.

    All you had to do was apply and say the stay-at-home-order caused you to miss out.

    Now, Vail did do some weird math when determining the refund amount, but in the end it cost me $100 for a new 5-day card for the wife this season. Fair deal if you ask me I guess, although now I'm at about $250 out of pocket so far for her 2 missed seasons.

  20. #1295
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,347
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundhouse2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	848.1 KB 
ID:	385659

  21. #1296
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundhouse2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	848.1 KB 
ID:	385659
    Inject that straight in to my veins

  22. #1297
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,842
    How is the terrain around Ymir lodge? Do they have rowdy lines if the conditions are good?

  23. #1298
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,631
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ymir.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	386199

  24. #1299
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    [a] Van [down by the river]
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    How is the terrain around Ymir lodge? Do they have rowdy lines if the conditions are good?
    I ended up there in stupid deep storm. Not that we were looking for stuff super rowdy at the time, but nothing particularly stood out.

    Fun zone, had a great time and would maybe go again with the right crowd, but don't go expecting Jim Haberl or something.

  25. #1300
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    3,062
    Vail announced new capital plan. New 8 person gondola at Creekside and 6 pack on Red for 2022-23 (assuming this means install of both next summer). Pretty stoked as a Creekside guy. Crowds are already big there, this will chew up the initial line faster which is all I care about. More VD laps…

    https://news.vailresorts.com/corpora...EQVY09HbjrfxxI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •