Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 228
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    21,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    That's the kind of all encompassing statement that turns people away from listening to the PHO. Whether I'm isolated at home (in Langley) or isolated at a condo in Whistler or isolated at a condo in Big White doesn't matter. I have to be somewhere and as long as I'm practicing safe social distancing it's all good. Ground zero for COVID in BC is Metro Vancouver and that really means Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey. If you look at the numbers from Interior Health (Okanagan, Cariboo and Kootenays) COVID is a non-issue.
    You can read between the lines and presume the real rationale is to keep Vancouverites in Vancouver so they aren't spreading Covid throughout the rest of the province. Likewise those in more remote areas shouldn't be going to Vancouver and then taking the virus back home with them.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    304
    Talking to a local whistler health professional yesterday-whistler is a hotspot.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pemberton, BC
    Posts
    1,711

    Whistler/Vail North 2020/2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post


    Don’t look good for a destination ski resort.

    I dunno how they can justify opening.

    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This is the dream scenario. For Vail. They got our pass money and now have little incentive to operate. My guess is that they will open just enough to void any refunds then shut down under the guise of our safety.

    I should buy some Vail stock. Passes sold upfront and with only a few weeks of operating costs. Could be a banner year for Vail!

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    That's the kind of all encompassing statement that turns people away from listening to the PHO. Whether I'm isolated at home (in Langley) or isolated at a condo in Whistler or isolated at a condo in Big White doesn't matter. I have to be somewhere and as long as I'm practicing safe social distancing it's all good. Ground zero for COVID in BC is Metro Vancouver and that really means Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey. If you look at the numbers from Interior Health (Okanagan, Cariboo and Kootenays) COVID is a non-issue.

    It would be nice if the PHO released detailed location data but it's a secret.
    How do you figure? If you are based in location 'x' and travel to location 'y' - how are you remaining isolated? Traveling for skiing isn't exactly an 'essential' activity in the world right now. But hey, it's only potentially risking peoples' lives for some turns.

    People can claim the 'But I'm a responsible citizen - I know what I'm doing' complaint as long as they want but this is as valid as the argument by 'responsible' gun owners. The reality is there are for more idiots out there than not and the government has to plan for the lowest common denominator. Remember, there are people who now thing the world is flat - keep this in mind whenever thinking about who the government is trying to plan for.
    Last edited by shafty85; 11-17-2020 at 12:06 AM.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bestcoast
    Posts
    1,670
    and it's really only 'confusing' if you're looking for loopholes. Hey, I'll agree that I'm pretty over B.Henry's "ohhhh, please just be nice, eh?" routine, which clearly is not enough anymore. bring down the damn hammer for a few weeks and wrestle this shit back in control before its rampant and we're all screwed for another 6 months.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    How do you figure? If you are based in location 'x' and travel to location 'y' - how are you remaining isolated? Traveling for skiing isn't exactly an 'essential' activity in the world right now. But hey, it's only potentially risking peoples' lives for some turns.
    When I'm driving I'm in my own isolation pod and have little or no interaction with the people between X and Y. A pandemic is driven by millions of individual choices; not by government edict. All it takes is some social distancing, occasional mask wearing and some discipline. Sadly that's beyond a lot of people and here we are.

    From the CBC a rare breakdown of COVID cases in BC:
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    994
    Build a bubble around Surrey?

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    21,645
    Surrey has a huge SA population with a lot of old people in extended families

    up narth is a safer place to be but its coming
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    When I'm driving I'm in my own isolation pod and have little or no interaction with the people between X and Y. A pandemic is driven by millions of individual choices; not by government edict. All it takes is some social distancing, occasional mask wearing and some discipline. Sadly that's beyond a lot of people and here we are.

    From the CBC a rare breakdown of COVID cases in BC:
    I live very close to you, technically Surrey but a mooch on Langley infrastructure... hit me up for socially distant skiing or biking anytime.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    When I'm driving I'm in my own isolation pod and have little or no interaction with the people between X and Y. A pandemic is driven by millions of individual choices; not by government edict. All it takes is some social distancing, occasional mask wearing and some discipline. Sadly that's beyond a lot of people and here we are.

    From the CBC a rare breakdown of COVID cases in BC:
    You pretty much are the problem if you believe this. You and everyone else who thinks they can bend the rules to their own advantage.
    I need a Costco trip, but im not going because its non essential. I have groceries here. Skiing is even less essential...

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bestcoast
    Posts
    1,670
    the whole of rural America assumed it was just a blue state big city problem so ignored pandemic protocol, then it found it's way in and now they're all screwed....we're in exponential growth, don't think it won't hit rural BC eventually.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    When I'm driving I'm in my own isolation pod and have little or no interaction with the people between X and Y. A pandemic is driven by millions of individual choices; not by government edict. All it takes is some social distancing, occasional mask wearing and some discipline. Sadly that's beyond a lot of people and here we are.

    From the CBC a rare breakdown of COVID cases in BC:
    You're claiming you never interact with anyone in any way at your destination? No gas, no groceries, food or supplies of any kind obtained there, no being on a lift with anyone, no touching surfaces in any the public spaces such as at gas stations, condos, chalets, etc? You, sir, are a ghost - have you thought of enrolling in the CIA?

    Yes, the choices of the people will dictate how this pandemic goes - the government concluding that people are too dumb and selfish to make the right choices is what will, hopefully, save us.

    nortonwhis summed it up nicely.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    the whole of rural America assumed it was just a blue state big city problem so ignored pandemic protocol, then it found it's way in and now they're all screwed....we're in exponential growth, don't think it won't hit rural BC eventually.
    This is spot on - I see this mentality of rural "immunity" far too often on the island here. Covid is thought of by many as a 'mainland' problem, despite outbreaks in Nanaimo and the north island.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

  14. #114
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    You pretty much are the problem if you believe this. You and everyone else who thinks they can bend the rules to their own advantage.
    I need a Costco trip, but im not going because its non essential. I have groceries here. Skiing is even less essential...
    Someday when you leave the house you'll discover that many establishments -- including Costco -- require masks and have done a decent job at crowd control and sanitizing. Parking lots are full, people are adapting to the new normal and getting on with their lives.

    I get the impression that you believe the government is all knowing. This is the first time that large scale lock downs of healthy people has been tried. This is the first time that Dr. Henry has managed a pandemic. There's a lot of guessing going on. We can all see where some countries/states/provinces made good and bad choices. At least we have the Internet to keep us connected.

    CoV-sars2 is part of our environment now and it'll be a year before a significant number of people are vaccinated. I assume you have enough groceries to tide you over.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Someday when you leave the house you'll discover that many establishments -- including Costco -- require masks and have done a decent job at crowd control and sanitizing. Parking lots are full, people are adapting to the new normal and getting on with their lives.

    I get the impression that you believe the government is all knowing. This is the first time that large scale lock downs of healthy people has been tried. This is the first time that Dr. Henry has managed a pandemic. There's a lot of guessing going on. We can all see where some countries/states/provinces made good and bad choices. At least we have the Internet to keep us connected.

    CoV-sars2 is part of our environment now and it'll be a year before a significant number of people are vaccinated. I assume you have enough groceries to tide you over.
    He has a grocery store in his home community, thus not having to travel outside of his home community for groceries.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    839
    Ya precisely what Dee said. Right now only essential travel is allowed. I would like to save money by going to Costco (which I have done during the pandemic previously) but I deem this inessential, so I’m not going. I can purchase groceries (at resort town prices) walking distance from my apartment.

    I think the spiraling numbers right now put our season in jeopardy. It’s a shame that more people don’t see it like that. The resort was still quite busy with destination tourism over the weekend and community transmission is skyrocketing the past month.

    Do I think the government is perfect, no. But I think they have handled this pretty damn well considering how BC has done compared to other provinces and countries, and because of this, I continue to listen and respect what they say.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    994
    Can't worry too much about what other people are doing, it'll only frustrate you. Just do what you think is safe for you and your family. This will be over soon (on a geological scale). A quick scolding is fine, but don't get too wrapped up in others' activities.

    I'd personally old off on it for a few weeks at least to see how things are going, but if Snow Dog wants to hop in the car and go on a COVID roadie, best of luck to him. If nortonwhis isn't going to Costco, well that's probably better for his mental health anyway, COVID or not.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Can't worry too much about what other people are doing, it'll only frustrate you. Just do what you think is safe for you and your family. This will be over soon (on a geological scale). A quick scolding is fine, but don't get too wrapped up in others' activities.

    I'd personally old off on it for a few weeks at least to see how things are going, but if Snow Dog wants to hop in the car and go on a COVID roadie, best of luck to him. If nortonwhis isn't going to Costco, well that's probably better for his mental health anyway, COVID or not.
    Agreed. I guess my concern is based on selfishness as is snowdogs. I need people to come here so I can work, just want them to come at the right time...

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Agreed. I guess my concern is based on selfishness as is snowdogs. I need people to come here so I can work, just want them to come at the right time...
    Well in that case, I hope March 15 is okay.

    (in all seriousness while plans are indeed made, things are very much up in the air at this point. plan is for us to arrive @ YVR, friends will have left a truck for us to load up and drive to W/B and stay at their home, alone. groceries will have been already delivered, we will have no reason to go out for anything other than to ski. i realize we will likely have to pull the plug on this unless the world looks different in 4 months. for now though please let me have something to look forward to, we had to do something with the credits left over from last season, even tentatively)

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Van
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post

    I should buy some Vail stock. Passes sold upfront and with only a few weeks of operating costs. Could be a banner year for Vail!
    I take it you have not read a financial statement before...

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    20 steps from the hot tub
    Posts
    3,714
    Posting this here rather than the Epic reservations thread because Edge Cards are unique to WB.

    Went to reserve opening day and a couple days following but after adding Thursday to my “order” it wouldn’t let me add anything else because I had “used up my allowable reservations.”

    I have a 5-day card with the free early-season skiing. I decided when core season reservations started to reserve Dec 8-11 ( last free skiing days) since I figured those wouldn’t count towards any reservable max since it’s not using my Edge days but my free skiing ones. Wrong.

    So I had to quickly find out where we can now cancel reserved days to free up space for opening week.

    So this seems to mean each week of early season, I can only reserve 5 days, not all 7. Not how I thought it would work.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    2,602
    Vail's stock was at $285.00 on Monday. It's only ever been over $280.00 for 3 months in 2018 (June 15- Sep 14 2018)

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    So this seems to mean each week of early season, I can only reserve 5 days, not all 7. Not how I thought it would work.
    Week of Reservations are available for 9 Days. Open on Wednesday for reservations for Thursday through the following Friday.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    20 steps from the hot tub
    Posts
    3,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Week of Reservations are available for 9 Days. Open on Wednesday for reservations for Thursday through the following Friday.
    Are you basing that on your experience reserving at WB or some other Vail resort?

    I could and did reserve today for next week Thursday, Friday (skipped Saturday) and Sunday. Monday the 30th and onward was not available. That makes it seems like on Wednesday the reservations open for the next week from Monday to Sunday.

    If you are also able to reserve for Thursday "this week" at some other Vail resort that is already open that must be possible if those days did not get booked up the previous Wednesday.

    Anyway, my post was meant to share the fact it seems that 5-day Edge Card holders with free early-season skiing are limited to reserving only five days max for early and core sessions combined.

    Has anyone with the same card had a different result?

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pemberton, BC
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Vail's stock was at $285.00 on Monday. It's only ever been over $280.00 for 3 months in 2018 (June 15- Sep 14 2018)
    Blows my mind. Stock is up near all time highs yet year on year revenue was down 68%. Seems legit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •