Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I vote we blow up Lions Gate and 2nd Narrows. If then you can get to the mountains it's okay to go. Seems like the pretty good solution to me.
    hmmm, but then I lose my twice a week MIL babysitting service....

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    yeah, people are basically making all the worst choices, and are absolutely incapable of following the simplest of requests and protocols to help contain it....so I'm with lee, and figure that since it's seeming like a strong start weather wise (all praise Ullr!), we'll definitely get shut down because of fucking idiots.
    The new travel restrictions for SWBC are not clearly written - which is part of the problem. It's tough to blame the general public for not following the rules properly when they are not coherently presented and contain internal inconsistencies. They should say something clear like: "no non-essential travel outside your own health region". That doesn't limit travel between Vancouver and Whistler or Pemberton (which are all in the same health region). Lower Mainland is not a thing (its a general area - and some people include S2S, others not (the BC government seems to include them if you look at the list of effected cities)). Surrey (and most of the lower Fraser Valley) is in the Lower Mainland, but is being treated as separate, which is not making the drafting clearer. Using terms that don't have precise meanings and aren't generally understood to refer to the areas you are meaning is it not particularly helpful.

hmmm, but then I lose my twice a week MIL babysitting service....
    The price you gotta pay in order to go ski.

Twice a week MIL babysitting and she drives from Van? That's gravy! No immediate family here means spousal coverage or $$ for babysitter to go for a ride/ski but such is life.

I agree with knowsam re: lower mainland/health regions. Guidance should clearly spell out do not leave your community/city for non-essential travel if that is the message/requirement, will reduce some of the mental gymnastics.

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/wh...pening-2870675 - some American dude in Colorado doesn't preclude an early opening.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Cypress opened today and looks decent, anyone make it up? Too many Teams meetings for me to get away today.
    That question motivated me to check it out. Grass on all slopes. Dunno what they opened.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

a couple runs on black opened. it warmed up so the 50 cm they got turned to mashed potatos. skinned up strachan side and found some decent heavy pow

Not sure if this has been covered already, but there are two types of “Epic Coverage” that will determine a refund on your pass if things get shut down.

A 7 day coverage and a Core Season coverage.

If you have booked your 7 preferred days, then Vail automatically assumes you want the 7 day coverage.

7 day coverage is really for tourists/casual skiers who booked out a Christmas week or special trip.

I figure there are a lot of folks on this thread who are S2S locals and have done what we have done: book out Christmas week, but then plan to keep booking preferred days as we roll through the season.

That means that Vail will assume I want the 7 day coverage. if I am able to ski my 7 Xmas days, but then they shut the hill in January for the rest of the season, I would get no refund. if I had selected core season coverage I would get a refund of about 75%.

You all have until December 7 to select the coverage you want.

It is definitely worth it to go look at the coverage details on the epic pass site and figure out what works best for you. There is a formula buried in there that shows how the refund is calculated.

I think the two types of coverage actually work pretty well for tourists and locals. The only crappy part is that Vail assumes everybody wants the 7-day coverage.

Fingers crossed for a full and healthy season!

Whistler/Vail North 2020/2021

Quote Originally Posted by AKWL View Post
    Not sure if this has been covered already, but there are two types of “Epic Coverage” that will determine a refund on your pass if things get shut down.

A 7 day coverage and a Core Season coverage.

If you have booked your 7 preferred days, then Vail automatically assumes you want the 7 day coverage.

7 day coverage is really for tourists/casual skiers who booked out a Christmas week or special trip.

I figure there are a lot of folks on this thread who are S2S locals and have done what we have done: book out Christmas week, but then plan to keep booking preferred days as we roll through the season.

That means that Vail will assume I want the 7 day coverage. if I am able to ski my 7 Xmas days, but then they shut the hill in January for the rest of the season, I would get no refund. if I had selected core season coverage I would get a refund of about 75%.

You all have until December 7 to select the coverage you want.

It is definitely worth it to go look at the coverage details on the epic pass site and figure out what works best for you. There is a formula buried in there that shows how the refund is calculated.

I think the two types of coverage actually work pretty well for tourists and locals. The only crappy part is that Vail assumes everybody wants the 7-day coverage.

Fingers crossed for a full and healthy season!
    Good to know! Thanks for that. I just changed mine to core season.

I also see there is an insurance option for a specific resort or all resorts. So if I select all resorts, and they close down some hill in eastern USA I get a refund while whistler stays open??
    Last edited by xyz; 11-14-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Good to know! Thanks for that. I just changed mine to core season.

I also see there is an insurance option for a specific resort or all resorts. So if I select all resorts, and they close down some hill in eastern USA I get a refund while whistler stays open??
    I believe it's the other way around. If Whistler closes but all the American hills are open you're not getting your refund.

Yeah, I think Paige is correct, so I selected WB. I am certain someone at Vail will have gone through the scenarios to minimize gaming to the system.
    The formula has an adjustment for if you ski other resorts. So if WB closes, but I go ski 7 days somewhere else, my refund goes to zero.

That is good info - AKWL, consider double posting as its own thread or in the vail reservations thread. I suspect you might save Maggots more money in that one post than any other (and maybe all of the other) posts made here ever.

If you ski more than 7 days your refund is $0 regardless of what happens though right?

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    If you ski more than 7 days your refund is $0 regardless of what happens though right?
    correct, and another obligatory "FUCK VAIL!" for an ridiculously low threshold for "full season"...

correct, and another obligatory "FUCK VAIL!" for an ridiculously low threshold for "full season"...
    Ya thats pretty brutal...
    I got way more refund than i deserved for my seasons pass last winter with 50 odd days on it. I think they gave too much lenience in the spring last year, and this is too far the other way.

7 days at the full day price is the same as epic pass price.
    The problem is that the 'reservations' system is really a way to shunt resources and has nothing to do with hard caps.

Not on the Core Coverage. As I read it, if I only ski Whistler, and Whistler closes for the season halfway through, I will get a 50% refund, even if I skied all 59 of the days (total season is 118 days).

However, if Decide to go ski at another Vail resort, I will kill my refund after 7 days.

This is the link to the formula they provided.

https://www.epicpass.com/-/media/glo...7BA8D43D8D5491

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    That seems right for the 1 - 10 day epic cards but I'm not sure that's how I read the unlimited epic card/general seasons pass rules (see section 2(a) of the terms and conditions).

The way that I read it is (let me know if I've missed something):

(i) Number of days during the core season in which the resort is closed for 7 or more consecutive days for Covid etc. (a "Resort Closure Period")
    (ii) Number of priority reserved days that they refuse you access because, notwithstanding you have reserved, they are above capacity or that they close for Covid etc (this does not have the same 7 day requirement required for a Resort Closure Period) and does not double count the days in (i)

In our example,
    - the resort is in a Resort Closure Period for 21 of 118 days
    - the resort is over capacity on 3 days that you have reserved as priority days
    - the resort is closed of a Covid incident for 1 day that you have reserved as a priority day
    - you ski 50 core days, and booked all 7 priority days (4 were cancelled as above).
    - during the Resort Closure Period, you skied at a different Vail resort for 1 day.

So:

Days lost to Resort Closure: 21
    Days lost to Nonoverlapping Priority Reservation: 4 (3 over capacity + 1 Covid that was not long enough to become a Report Closure Period)
    Days pass used during Resort Closure Event: 1

[(21+4)/118] - (1/7) = 6.9% refund

If you had not skied at a different resort during the closure period, you would have increased your refund to 21% BUT, if you had skied at another resort during the Resort Closure Period for one additional day (for a total of 2 days during the closure period), you would get ZERO. My math has been wrong before, so someone please check it, but it seems to me the formula is very sentitive to your skiing at other resorts during the closure period.

What is really interesting to me is the definition "Priority Reservation Cancellation Event" which occurs when Vail Resorts cancels one or more of your Priority Reservation Days as a result of capacity constraints or a Resort Closure Event. Does that mean that even though you have reserved, if you show-up late on a powder day and say a chair or two are down and they can't open the alpine (for example), that they can revoke your reservation? It seems a bit cheeky to have that hidden in the T&C of the coverage, though it explains how they are determining today what the mountain capacity will be at a date in the future when they don't know what terrain and upload capacity will be open. Seems a bit like the airline model and with the predicable results.

Interesting point about capacity and demand. Wonder what will happen on weekend pow days where they intend on getting the alpine open but can’t for whatever reason. What if one of those falls on a long weekend where they have 20k reservations already in the system that pass holders made in November, just cap it and too bad for whoever shows up late?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

All that fine print and special clauses etc basically means we are f’d for any refund. Late stage capitalism at its best. I’m just going to use my pass as much as possible as soon as possible in case of a closure mid season. I can live with 25 days to feel like I got my money’s worth.

I've been wrong before, but the fine print seems ok to me, as long as you've selected core season and only one resort. The key is not to ski at other resorts while your resort is closed for an extended closure period.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    I've been wrong before, but the fine print seems ok to me, as long as you've selected core season and only one resort. The key is not to ski at other resorts while your resort is closed for an extended closure period.
    Yes it's a pretty honest and comprehensive insurance plan for the average passholder. There are inherent risks to buying a season pass this year, and both the seller and purchaser must assume some of that. I think the position Vail has taken this season is fair. Being credited 80% for a 100% unused edge card last season though is pretty fucked, considering they stopped selling them waaaaaay before anyone even got a sniff of the China Virus™ but I'm over it.

Lets roll out those vaccines though so we can go back to complaining about shitty lift maintenance and suspected patrol shortages!

Grabbed some holiday date reservations just for the hell of it, and noticed that my coverage was changed from W/B Core Season to 7 day. Changed it back to Core season and all reservations disappeared. Vail customer service says the reservations are still in the system, and it must be a bug with our iPad (sure). Same happened to a friend. Anyone else?

What about for edge card bottom feeders like myself? I was planning on using it mid-week (low demand) days. If I don’t book dates now will it still be core coverage?

Dr. Henry: “I strongly encourage people to limit your travel as much as possible. And that's in all areas of the province. Now is not the time to travel for recreational or non-essential travel”

Don’t look good for a destination ski resort.

I dunno how they can justify opening.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Dr. Henry: “I strongly encourage people to limit your travel as much as possible. And that's in all areas of the province. Now is not the time to travel for recreational or non-essential travel”
    That's the kind of all encompassing statement that turns people away from listening to the PHO. Whether I'm isolated at home (in Langley) or isolated at a condo in Whistler or isolated at a condo in Big White doesn't matter. I have to be somewhere and as long as I'm practicing safe social distancing it's all good. Ground zero for COVID in BC is Metro Vancouver and that really means Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey. If you look at the numbers from Interior Health (Okanagan, Cariboo and Kootenays) COVID is a non-issue.

It would be nice if the PHO released detailed location data but it's a secret.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.