choosing pow skis - new vs used - price vs performance

Looking at 115-120mm sticks to up my pow game, around 184 cm (6ft/160lbs).
    Been snowboarding 20 yrs and skiing 6 or 7, ride ~30 days/yr, love to push it when I can, hit edges, pop and play, hike but no flips etc and not likely to happen at 50+
    Already have Bentchetler 100s and Bacons for family/groomer days.

I’m in Tokyo so prices and availability are diff from US/Europe as are used deals (I can prob get some off the price on these too). Other option is wait until I’m in a ski town here somewhere and see what I can snag out and about.

Right now I’m looking at:

Bentchetler 120 2013 model 183 used/great shape w/bindings $255

Chipotle Banana 186 used/great shape w/bindings $550

Line Outline new no bindings $570

Moment Wildcat 116 184 new no bindings $759

The money isn’t a total make or break, but don’t need to spend it if I don’t have to

Whatacha think? Too old? Too much ski? Ding ding winner? Don't get that...get this!

thanks mags

Pow is no game around here, serious business.
    Buy Protesteses.

The Bananas are really really good. I own 9 pairs of skis right now and they’re the only ones I will never under any circumstances sell.

While I love the Bent Chetler and it would make a fun Japow ski, that's a pretty great deal on the Chipotle Banana. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Cheers for that. Didn't know there was so much love for the Bananas (which is prob $475)....also discovered Praxis is on sale at 40% off....$609 at my door DANGER DANGER

Protest for sure. Support Keith and they are amazing. 40% off is sweet. I am your height but closer to 200. I have 192 and they are super easy. I ski a lot of tight trees and powder. But they are not switch skis if that’s what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I would just echo what’s already been said here, Protests for 40% off is a no brainer, and that deal on the Naners is killer, can’t go wrong with either option. Personally I find the Naners to be quite a bit more versatile and fun when conditions aren’t pow anymore but IMHO Protests are undisputed kings of the soft and deep, no shit super hero skis. Both are GREAT options at great prices
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

OP's in Japan with a stated list of options and the Praxis fanbois can't help but recommend a ski not on his list and likely a pain or quite expensive to get. Heh.

Bananas would be great, and not a bad deal, but I'd say get the Bents; great ski for the price. Ski them a year or two and get used to what like/dislike about them, then get something else. I ski a ~2013 Volkl One (full reverse) as my pow ski and it does great, no complaints.

Look for some used pow skis if you can, they don't usually get beat up cuz a pow ski is wide enough it only gets taken out in bottomless pow, i got some gigawatts that only get skied a few times a year for this reason, but my real favorite is the lotus 120 which is very much more versitile but you arent likely to find those

At least locally I think maybe people buy them for the big pow and then realize there isnt much big pow so super fats don't really get used much ... sell em at the swap
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-13-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Megawatts are great. Old ones are easy. I cannot recommend new school skis like bents since I don’t like them. My redeemers are great in pow. Hell buy pontoons for cheap.

Last edited by whyturn; 10-13-2020 at 03:22 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

OP: is skinning a consideration, or no?
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Megawatts are great. Old ones are easy. I cannot recommend new school skis like bents since I don’t like them. My redeemers are great in pow. Hell buy pontoons for cheap.

I have strong regrets about selling my Megawatts.

$250 for those Chetlers is a no-brainer IMO.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I have strong regrets about selling my Megawatts.
    Even the more narrow Justice was a dream in powder I can only imagine that the Megawatts were even dreamier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    OP: is skinning a consideration, or no?
    Not as yet but never say never either

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    OP's in Japan with a stated list of options and the Praxis fanbois can't help but recommend a ski not on his list and likely a pain or quite expensive to get. Heh.

Bananas would be great, and not a bad deal, but I'd say get the Bents; great ski for the price. Ski them a year or two and get used to what like/dislike about them, then get something else. I ski a ~2013 Volkl One (full reverse) as my pow ski and it does great, no complaints.
    Thanks....no Praxis supplier here but that was when I saw the 40% off deal which kind of brings them in line....actually slightly cheaper than new name skis here. I need to look into them some more, someone mentioned the Protests aren't switch-friendly hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Look for some used pow skis if you can, they don't usually get beat up cuz a pow ski is wide enough it only gets taken out in bottomless pow, i got some gigawatts that only get skied a few times a year for this reason, but my real favorite is the lotus 120 which is very much more versitile but you arent likely to find those

At least locally I think maybe people buy them for the big pow and then realize there isnt much big pow so super fats don't really get used much ... sell em at the swap
    Good call

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    But they are not switch skis if that’s what you want
    Thanks, do tell

Quote Originally Posted by chairman pow View Post
    Thanks, do tell
    I have never tried mine switch but I also really don’t ski switch. They have a high tail so maybe they would work. Mount is -8 I think. I run -1.5 from that as I am directional skier.

Bentchetler is your boat if you like those kinds of skis. I have run pontoons and megawatts in neck deep blower and been very happy for what I paid for those skis.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    I picked up a Rossi black Ops 118 the other day and really like them. Another option to look into / out for.

Edit: they ski pretty short but they’re fun
    Last edited by jerr; 10-16-2020 at 02:09 AM.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day