Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spot Rollik 150 vs. Yeti SB 140

So I deleted my Intense Primer/Trek Remedy question, and am posting this one instead. Budget increased a bit, so started looking at new Yeti's, and found the Spot. It sure is pretty.

Spot Rollik 150: 150mm rear, 160mm front, SRAM Eagle GX build
    Yeti SB 140: 140mm rear, 160mm front, Shimano SLX build

Figuring in shipping, the prices are pretty much equal, so hoping to get some first hand knowledge to help me decide.

Thanks again!

I just came here to say: support your local bike shop.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    As a new convert to SB150 I gotta say the hype is real. IDK about the 140 specifically, but Yeti has definitely got something figured out with the suspension/linkage that makes it unlike every other bike I have ever been on.

I have no idea about the Spot. People seem to love them. Can you ride both? 45 seconds on my SB150 and it was like, "What the fuck have I been doing riding any other bike?"

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    As a new convert to SB150 I gotta say the hype is real. IDK about the 140 specifically, but Yeti has definitely got something figured out with the suspension/linkage that makes it unlike every other bike I have ever been on.

I have no idea about the Spot. People seem to love them. Can you ride both? 45 seconds on my SB150 and it was like, "What the fuck have I been doing riding any other bike?"
    My buddy has an SB130 that I rode around a bit. Awesome bike (and he loves it), but for some reason I'm stuck on the 27.5 wheels on the SB140.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I just came here to say: support your local bike shop.
    I would if I could. Unfortunately, none of the local bike shops have any bikes. Started looking at the Yeti's, partially due to the fact that some shops have them in stock. However, the closest SB140 is 90 minutes away, but they only have one, and it's not the build (or color) I would like to get. Two hours the other way is one SB140, but it's too small.

Now we’re talking!

I have nothing constructive to say, other than the SB140 is still on my short list for my next bike (which is probably still 2 years out since I just spent over $1k rebuilding and refreshing my current ride). And also ever since my SB66 was stolen almost 5 years ago I’ve been dying to get some real time on the a 27.5 bike on the Switch Infinity link. I absolutely loved that SB66 and the way the geo and Switch link interacted ... but I didn’t have a great shop with SB6c on demo nearby and also insurance money wasn’t going to fully cover it so I settled in on a closeout Bronson CC X01 (v1) instead.

Also on my short list is the GG Shred Dogg - which is extremely hard to demo if you don’t live in Denver.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    So I deleted my Intense Primer/Trek Remedy question, and am posting this one instead. Budget increased a bit, so started looking at new Yeti's, and found the Spot. It sure is pretty.

Spot Rollik 150: 150mm rear, 160mm front, SRAM Eagle GX build
    Yeti SB 140: 140mm rear, 160mm front, Shimano SLX build

Figuring in shipping, the prices are pretty much equal, so hoping to get some first hand knowledge to help me decide.

Thanks again!
    Unless you're under 5'6", I think you should be comparing the Spot Mayhem 130/150 and the Yeti SB130/150.

That right there ^^ is the problem. I was a big fan of the Rollick, SB5 and SB6 a while back but then longer travel 29r's came along. Sounds like you want 27.5, but now who remembers?

spot

I appreciate the responses.

I rode around on my buddy's SB130 yesterday. Still not entirely sold on the 29" wheels. Going to check out the SB140 for comparison. In NH, so now way to try a Spot.

Odd that both companies are in the same business park??

To add to the confusion.....I am 5'6", maybe 5'7" on a really good day. I have been on 27.5 for about 6-7 years. I was slightly worried about the 29" of the SB150, but had yet to talk to anyone who had a bad thing to say about it.

I was coming from a Knolly Warden Carbon 27.5 which had really modern numbers, short chainstays, etc. Super nimble.

The Yeti is more nimble. Seriously. I don't know how it is done, but the bike is both long when you want it.....ie straight lining chunk gnar at speed it just stays in its line......then 4 seconds later you can whip around a nearly 180* donkey/miner's path switchback faster and easier than you have before.

To be honest I don't think I would ever go back to 27.5 unless I was building a pure park bike or something.

At 5'8' I got the medium 5.5 and I wondered the same thing ... how am i gona get this around corners ?

I lined the 5.5 up next to my my 05 mtn bike and the Yeti's WB was a full 2 inches longer, IME with the 29" wheels/ great fox36 I ride/ bank over thing I never used to also I learned to trust being out over that front wheel and the switch infinity works pretty awesume
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-13-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm not a good listener. 2021 SB140 on the way from Jenson.

In my defense, I only found 2 2020 SB140's in New England in my size, and neither were the build I really wanted. 2020 C1 build uses Sram GX (which is now C2 for 2021). 2021 C1 build uses Shimano SLX, and is $300 less. More experience with Shimano, so I stuck with it.

In my defense, I only found 2 2020 SB140's in New England in my size, and neither were the build I really wanted. 2020 C1 build uses Sram GX (which is now C2 for 2021). 2021 C1 build uses Shimano SLX, and is $300 less. More experience with Shimano, so I stuck with it.
    Prepare to have your mind blown.

Send a pm to Smokan. He had spots in his fleet and could probably give honest feedback off of a public forum.

Awesome! You’ll probably have no regrets.

I’m just spitballing on this - thinking maybe you should still get to know the local Yeti dealer just in case something comes up with the frame and Yeti won’t work with you directly. Never had an issue with a bike though, especially not one where the dealer was involved.

On the 27.5 and 29 thing, you also won’t regret it. I like having both - actually I have all 3 wheel sizes and yeah the 26” doesn’t get used that much (but mostly because it’s an old bike with flexy wheels and suspension). 29” wheels are so goddamn fast and much less punishing on line choice mistakes ... but they are more of a “pin it and win it” kind of fun and less of a “hop around off every little bump and enjoy life to the max” kind of fun.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Thank you sir!

I've been geeking out over the numbers, and the geometry is almost the same between the 130 and 140. 130 only has a .1" longer wheelbase and the angles are very similar.

Just hoping to suck less.

The lack of inventory (and inability of the shop to order bikes at this time) may help, as I had no other option to get the bike I wanted.

QUOTE=SchralphMacchio;6096050]Awesome! You’ll probably have no regrets.

I’m just spitballing on this - thinking maybe you should still get to know the local Yeti dealer just in case something comes up with the frame and Yeti won’t work with you directly. Never had an issue with a bike though, especially not one where the dealer was involved.

On the 27.5 and 29 thing, you also won’t regret it. I like having both - actually I have all 3 wheel sizes and yeah the 26” doesn’t get used that much (but mostly because it’s an old bike with flexy wheels and suspension). 29” wheels are so goddamn fast and much less punishing on line choice mistakes ... but they are more of a “pin it and win it” kind of fun and less of a “hop around off every little bump and enjoy life to the max” kind of fun.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by powbmps; 10-14-2020 at 05:51 AM.

According to my dealer, 2021 Yetis, Ibis Ripmo and Scott Genius, next year bikes are going to be in a very limited supply

I used to work as a bike mechanic in Spot's hometown. I'm not a fan. I've worked on multiple bikes of theirs that had carbon so thin, you could push the wall of the top tube in with your thumb.

OTOH, any Yeti dealer has a wall of cracked rear triangles in the back room waiting for warranty replacement. sometimes front triangles. either Yeti owners are all getting sendy and lying about JRA stories to get the warranty, or their carbon layup has issues.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    According to my dealer, 2021 Yetis, Ibis Ripmo and Scott Genius, next year bikes are going to be in a very limited supply
    My LBS told me Santa Cruz is sold out of Tallboy's until August '21

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    I used to work as a bike mechanic in Spot's hometown. I'm not a fan. I've worked on multiple bikes of theirs that had carbon so thin, you could push the wall of the top tube in with your thumb.

OTOH, any Yeti dealer has a wall of cracked rear triangles in the back room waiting for warranty replacement. sometimes front triangles. either Yeti owners are all getting sendy and lying about JRA stories to get the warranty, or their carbon layup has issues.
    at my dealer you can't see the yeti for all the broken Cannondales

While not 27.5”, I demoed the Mayhem 150 last week. Loved it. More nimble/poppy than I expected given the travel and weight (31lbs or so). Geo felt dialed. Climbed really well. I’m currently on a Mayhem 130 and this may be my next bike. As for the carbon thickness, it’s far from thin and super stiff. Same with my Mayhem Jr.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What did you end up paying?

its my understanding the Turq frames are mo lighter by 1 lb and mo money

That weight loss has to come from somewhere ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    its my understanding the Turq frames are mo lighter by 1 lb and mo money

That weight loss has to come from somewhere ?
    From Yeti:

"Turq Series frames use the highest quality carbon fiber available to optimize weight, stiffness and durability. Carbon Series uses a lower modulus carbon and simplified layup that provides the same stiffness and durability, but with an increase in weight and lower cost."

1/2 to 3/4 lb. lighter, depending on model. They only spec that frame with the more expensive parts, so Turq bikes start at $7,000 at 29.55 lbs. Regular carbon starts at. $5,200 and 30.35 lbs. Some of that is in the components, so not sure how much of the difference is actually in the frame.

The 1st gen Spot Rollik was amazing. 3rd gen was really good but I didn't like the red finish. My 2nd gen was the problematic one that the internet cries about but was only in production for less than a year. It had manufacturing issues.

If I was still on 27.5 I would be on the current Rollik (in black)