Shimano groupsets on eBay legit?

Has anyone purchased any of the Shimano SLX/XT groupsets off of eBay? There are a number of different configurations and they seem to be coming from China or Taiwan. The sellers generally seem to be legit and have a ton of good feedback and volume. Some of the listings specify that the parts aren't in OEM packaging which makes me think that maybe they are either take-offs or that someone is selling build kits intended for OEM bikes. My main concern is that the stuff may be counterfeit although that seems like it would be difficult with something like derailleurs.

Normally I'd just buy the set from one of the mail order places I usually use but I am having no luck finding anything in stock. Merlin is completely sold out at the moment.

I don't really care about the packaging or lack of warranty/support but would like to hear if anyone has ordered one of these groupsets and if so what their experience was. Thanks!

I have to say, I have never seen any copies of ‘high end’ shimano products out in the wild in 35 years of working in shops.
    You see copies of their lowest end crap, (usually in Asia or S. America) as the manufacturing for those is cheap. But to build replicas of xt or XTR would cost an absolute fortune to set up.

What raises a question for me is how in the HELL did they get ahold of grey market parts when every manufacturing capability is currently spoken for.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have to say, I have never seen any copies of ‘high end’ shimano products out in the wild in 35 years of working in shops.
    You see copies of their lowest end crap, (usually in Asia or S. America) as the manufacturing for those is cheap. But to build replicas of xt or XTR would cost an absolute fortune to set up.

What raises a question for me is how in the HELL did they get ahold of grey market parts when every manufacturing capability is currently spoken for.
    I memba a couple years ago when Shimona was a thing you might see some pos bike in the shop. For sure never saw a xtr version tho.

OP you're probably not gonna get a fake but can't vouch for you getting anything...

If you're good at searching, it's pretty easy to put together a legit drivetrain from sellers on eBay and Pinkbike these days. Some of the bigger online retailers (like Worldwide) have parts in stock, too.

I’ve bought SLX brakes from one of those eBay sellers. Mine were definitely OEM surplus. They came in a labeled ziplock that looked like how shimano would have packaged for OEM...

Colorado Cyclist has a build-your-own shimano groupset deal that’s hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I got my Deore 6120 4-pot brakes off a Taiwan seller on eBay, they’re legit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I bought two complete XTR kits from Taiwan.
    No issues.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear that people have had success with the ebay sellers. Also appreciate the recommendations for the shops that still have inventory, I'll check those out. Haven't seen much on Pinkbike over the last few weeks but probably just need to be a bit more patient and look for individual components instead of a whole groupset.

Haven't moved beyond 11sp yet, would anyone still choose 11 over 12?

I've heard 12sp are a little more finicky to adjust and there's probably a nominal weight advantage sticking with 11sp. I'm scheming a 25-26# project, Spur being the leading chassis at this point.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Haven't moved beyond 11sp yet, would anyone still choose 11 over 12?

I've heard 12sp are a little more finicky to adjust and there's probably a nominal weight advantage sticking with 11sp. I'm scheming a 25-26# project, Spur being the leading chassis at this point.
    My anecdotal experience: Eagle kinda sucks balls. Terrible shifting under load, very finicky. XT 12 speed is the tits. Amazingly smooth shifting. Still slightly finicky, but when dialed you feel like you have some kind of drivetrain from the future.

On a super lightweight bike though a reliable and light weight 11spd might just be the way to go.

^^Eagle not even on the whiteboard, I like my shimano setups. XTR shifter w/XT derailleur/cassette has been the sweet spot of $ vs performance on my current bike, but it only goes to eleven...

off topic:

if you want shimano 12 speed, but not keen on the few hubs avail, you could go sram 12 speed hub/cassette and shimano 12 the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    off topic:

if you want shimano 12 speed, but not keen on the few hubs avail, you could go sram 12 speed hub/cassette and shimano 12 the rest.
    No longer really relevant, basically everybody has a microspline hub now.

I'm still running XTR 11 speed on my hardtail. It's a little less fiddly than the 12 speed stuff, stays in adjustment a little better, doesn't shift as effortlessly under load, and obviously has less range. The new 12 speed stuff is nice, but it's not like it's going to wildly change your riding experience if you're fine with the 11 speed range.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    My anecdotal experience: Eagle kinda sucks balls. Terrible shifting under load, very finicky. XT 12 speed is the tits. Amazingly smooth shifting. Still slightly finicky, but when dialed you feel like you have some kind of drivetrain from the future.
    I'll second this thought based upon my bike demos last week. Tried a pivot switchblade with XT and it's was so much nicer than my 1x11 xt setup. Then I rode an Ibis ripmo with GX which sucked while shifting under load. Still loved the Ripmo the best and it will be my new bike for next year and it will have XT.

Good to hear about the Ebay groupsets. I was wondering the same thing as I'll be looking for a new groupset over the winter.

I got mine from ebay, just backcheck seller history and reviews.

I scooped some XT four piston brakes off ebay for pretty cheap. Took forever to show but they work just fine.