Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best prevention for seasickness?

The older I get the more sensitive I have become to seasickness. I''ve never actually yakked but last off shore fishing trip had me leaning over the rail wishing I could until the Bonine (not taken early enough) took affect.

Google says that scopolamine transdermal patches work pretty good. Do they have a drowsy effect too? Would 1 patch work for 2 consecutive days? I don't think my doc would have a problem writing me a Rx for that.

marijuana helps a lot
    ginger if your stomach is not sensitive to acid

here an article about cybersickness
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...71581920300033

Last trip I did have a ginger chew that did seem to settle things down

My wife believes in ginger gum and she would know.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    I'm a super lightweight weed wise, as in 1 hit and I'm too stoned to leave the house. Not really a pen guy, but are they available in CO in low thc %'s?

try casting from shore....

Always get seasick, since I was a little kid, mostly on certain types of days with certain wave periods. Seemingly the bigger and longer, the worse for me.

I've tried all sorts of the pills and patches, as well as pressure point devices, etc.. Other than going to and staying asleep, nothing worked. Staying out of cabins, focusing on the horizon, and with the wind in my face always seemed the best. Will pay attention here incase there is something new at hand.

Best prevention, don't go. Otherwise eat cheerios, as they taste better the second time around than greasy eggs and bacon.

Scopolamine works great for multi day use. Each patch is good for 3 days if memory serves. Once it is on, don’t take it off until you are off water or 3 days is up. I’ve seen a few folks that take it off on day 1 or 2 of offending activity because they feel so good. Then they get sick so put a new patch on. The rate of drug dispersal decreases over time with a bolus at administration. So this can lead to overdose. Not gonna kill you, but pretty unpleasant. Mildly to not sedating. Don’t use with other motion sickness drugs. But ginger is safe and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    try casting from shore....
    that'll be the activity in the evening's I'm sure, along with golf cart derbies

Dramamine and a Bloody Mary- then I wake up and we’re back in the harbor.. works every time. Don’t get any fish though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I assume you know to keep your eyes on the horizon, avoid going below, etc.

I'm rooting for this thread to win. Fuck that other thread.

dramamine at least 12-18 hours before and then again on the docks.
    swing your fucking sword.

I'd don't have much to add except to try and stay busy. Offshore deepsea stuff is tough and when I get the most sick cause you're just sitting around waiting. But when we did a sailing school or going nearshore/offshore flyfishing I do much better because I'm busy doing stuff the whole time and not concentrating on the boat moving so much. Scopolamine helps me but made me pretty sleepy towards the end last time; fresh air, watch the horizon, ginger ale/gum all help me too
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I'm rooting for this thread to win. Fuck that other thread.
    QFT. Best post in that other thread says this thread is better. But it's still early.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    This.

Oh, and don't tie one on the night before. The ONLY time I got wicked seasick was because I partied balls up until like an hour before we had to get on the boat. NOT recommended. Caught some big ass marlin though! It's something else to try and reel in a fat 8' fish whilst trying to swallow back the pukage. Amazing and utterly miserable trip all at the same time.

Other than that, a bit of dramamine ahead of time and staying well hydrated has usually served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Oh, and don't tie one on the night before. The ONLY time I got wicked seasick was because I partied balls up until like an hour before we had to get on the boat.
    This, too. Do not get on the boat with a hangover.
    swing your fucking sword.

BEST PREVENTION FOR SEASICKNESS?
    Don't get on a boat!

get on a boat with Iceman and you'll have too much fun to get seasick
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Isn’t there a “coast guard cocktail” of Dramamine and caffeine? Like a speedball for the sea

Prevention, no idea. It doesn't affect me. Sometimes I don't feel so hot, but never want to hurl.

If you do get sick, lay on the deck and look straight up at the sky. You will feel better instantly, but you can't get up the rest of the trip.
    This has worked every time I have seen it done, even inside a cabin. Trip is over till you get to the dock though.

I’ve had good luck with herbal, behind the ear patches and the pressure point wrist bands off Amazon. Week long sailing trip that usually would have sunk me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    This.

Oh, and don't tie one on the night before. The ONLY time I got wicked seasick was because I partied balls up until like an hour before we had to get on the boat. NOT recommended. Caught some big ass marlin though! It's something else to try and reel in a fat 8' fish whilst trying to swallow back the pukage. Amazing and utterly miserable trip all at the same time.

Other than that, a bit of dramamine ahead of time and staying well hydrated has usually served me well.
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    This. I usually take ginger chews along too.

People have been known to get withdrawal problems after removing scopolamine patches. If Dramamine works for you seems like it’s an easier ride - especially since you can counteract the sleepiness with some coffee/redbull etc.

A couple gravol/dramamine for me does the trick. The drowsiness side effect never really hits me, especially on the water. Some of the roughest seas I've ever fished during this summer's west coast trip, and no issues with 2 tabs (100mg) taken after breakfast, and good for 8hrs on the water.