Thread: NHL 2021 Season

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Stretcher

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Sounds like he is fine:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nhl.nbc...-on-evans/amp/
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    I'm not sure that I'm getting a "fine" status from that article.
    Yeah, he didn't go to the hospital but that doesn't mean he is going to play again anytime soon. It looked like he was knocked out before his head even hit the ice. I'd wager that he has at minimum, a concussion. That was a straight up intent to hurt someone hit. There is no purpose to do that other than to be an asshole. Scheifele was still pissed about his penalty earlier in the period that led to another Canadian goal. He took that frustration out on Evans in that hit. For those that say, "but he stopped moving his feet at the hashmarks". Well yeah, he did, but on skates that means that he's still carrying 99% of his speed after sprinting the length of the ice. Stopping his feet allows him to line up his target easier and unload with both legs through the hit. He should get a 3-5 game suspension for that.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Yeah, that was straight up goonery.

Call me old school but...

Keep your head up if you’re going to the front of the net trying to score.

I’m sorry Evans was injured but not sure what he expected in that situation, especially during the playoffs. He never even took a look to see what might be coming his way. Would that even be a charging call by the refs it wasn’t an end-of-game empty net? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Call me old school but...

Keep your head up if you’re going to the front of the net trying to score.

I’m sorry Evans was injured but not sure what he expected in that situation, especially during the playoffs. He never even took a look to see what might be coming his way. Would that even be a charging call by the refs it wasn’t an end-of-game empty net? I doubt it.
    Even if Evans had his head up, how does that change anything when Scheifele is bearing down on him at full speed looking to clean him out?

Yeah, it is an "old school" play, but vicious, unnecessary old school hits like that aren't supposed to be part of the game any more since they can be career ending for the player on the receiving end.

When Scheifele stopped moving his feet, he knew there was no way he was going to be three in time to stop the goal. His only plan at that point was to destroy Evans.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

NHL 2021 Season

It was a dirty hit because of the head contact, not the charge. If head contact wasn’t made, yea, Evans still would have been buried but probably not hurt/unconscious.

Like single cross is saying, Evans never even looked up.. you learn that from day 1 in peewees ferchristsake, let alone the NHL.

The other problem I have with the hit is the puck was already over the line and Scheifele had time to break off. The play was dead, contact should not have even occurred. A goalie in the net would obviously change that dynamic. Agreed that Scheifele was hot and made a stupid decision, but that’s nothing new in hockey. Suspension completely warranted here for the head contact.

NHL 2021 Season

Yeah, without the head contact that's a pretty standard play in playoffs. He was coasting for a while before he hit him and if Evans didn't put his chin on his chest when he came around the net he gets blown up but skates off under his own power. The head wasn't targeted but it definitely got in the way of the chest he was aiming at
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Even if Evans had his head up, how does that change anything when Scheifele is bearing down on him at full speed looking to clean him out?
    Evans could have seen the pain train coming his way, pulled out wide, and made a pass/assist to his wide open teammate in the high slot. He chose to turn the net, go to the front, and pay the price. Directly into oncoming traffic. Buy the ticket, take the ride. I wish him a speedy full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Evans could have seen the pain train coming his way, pulled out wide, and made a pass/assist to his wide open teammate in the high slot. He chose to turn the net, go to the front, and pay the price. Directly into oncoming traffic. Buy the ticket, take the ride. I wish him a speedy full recovery.
    No man, a guy shouldn’t have to risk his career or the rest of his life to score a goal. It’s a fucking dirty hit, full stop. I think hockey is way more exciting now than “back in the day” you’re talking about.

I’m in the camp of it being a viscous hit but not dirty and Evans has to keep his head up. Guessing he gets a game, maybe 2 and hopefully Evans is back in a few games. I guess he has a history of concussions so who knows.

Schiefele is not gonna enjoy the game that he comes back in, whenever that is.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    I’m in the camp of it being a viscous hit but not dirty and Evans has to keep his head up. Guessing he gets a game, maybe 2 and hopefully Evans is back in a few games. I guess he has a history of concussions so who knows.

Schiefele is not gonna enjoy the game that he comes back in, whenever that is.
    The actual contact was as clean as Scheifele could make it. However, everything else about the play is what makes going through with that hit a problem and why he should be suspended.

4 game suspension

NHL Player Safety video explanation seemingly narrated by Al Franken:

https://www.nhl.com/video/scheifele-...0360/c-8516240

I like those video explanations

The Bruins and Islanders going back and forth with quality scoring chances all over the place but both goalies are stonewalling. This is quality playoff hockey.

The Bruins and Islanders going back and forth with quality scoring chances all over the place but both goalies are stonewalling. This is quality playoff hockey.
    That was an exciting game and a fantastic finish. Tukka made some gigantic saves in OT. and the game winner!!? How do you score from that angle?? Crazy

The actual contact was as clean as Scheifele could make it. However, everything else about the play is what makes going through with that hit a problem and why he should be suspended.
    As much as I’m loathe to defend Montreal the contact was high, shoulder to head. If he lowers his shoulder another 6” I think you could say it was clean contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    How do you score from that angle?? Crazy
    Marchy snipe!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Marchy snipe!

Crazy angle and perfectly placed.

Fuck you Brad!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Fuck you Brad!!!!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Fuck you Brad!!!!
    Marchand just bought up some more space in the brains of haters.

All the haters would take him on their team in a second. I would. He’d look great in a Wild uni.

A penalty "Shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner.
    Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner.
    A "charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."

Sounds simple, but as someone who refed a little bit a long time ago I didn't really understand the rule then and it still seems too much of a discretionary call now. The hit to the head makes the the Shieffele hit a penalty but other than that I don't see it as any different than the Krug hit a couple of years ago.
    At full speed there was no time to pull up after the puck crossed the line. 3/4 of the legal hits in hockey are a lot longer than that after the puck has left the player's stick--what the announcers like to call "finishing a check" and by the letter of the rule could be called interference. The idea of checking is not just to cause the other player to lose control of the puck but to make a player handling the puck have to think about the possibility of being hit and maybe hesitate. Most legal checks don't involve any attempt by the checking player to play the puck with his stick. The announcers love to say "he took the hit to make the play"--obviously in that situation the check didn't interfere with the pass or shot, but was a reminder for next time.

I vaguely remember a rule or maybe just an interpretation from my ref days--no more than 3 steps in the direction of the player to be checked. I don't know if the rule has changed since then, if the rule I remember was a collegiate rule, or if I just remember incorrectly. Certainly by the 3 step rule a lot of legal checks wouldn't be.

I like the NFL interpretation that it is the tackling player who has the obligation to avoid head contact, regardless of the position of the tackled player. Does the NHL use the same interpretation?

NHL 2021 Season

^under normal play you’re absolutely correct. I will stand by my previous statement that finishing a check after the puck crosses the line is bullshit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums