Cheaper pass options for teenagers in Utah?

Hey mags,

Y'all are such an excellent source of information that I thought I would pose this question here: I volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters Utah, and my little brother is a total badass. He'd like to snowboard more this season (and I'd love to go with him), but his grandma is on a fixed income and he doesn't really have the dough to pony up for a pass or for necessary equipment. I'm not looking for a handout or charity here - I'm just wondering what the cheapest way I can help this little dude get out this season is, and, having never had kids of my own before, I have no idea how to navigate this. With all these mormon groms running around, surely there have to be a couple loopholes to exploit.

For gear, are rentals the way to go? Who offers the cheapest season rental in town? Does NOT need to be fancy, just trying to get him kitted out with the basics.

For skiing - I'm thinking about Brighton night skiing using the 2 for 1 Ken Garff West Valley deal. Are there any other deals I should have on my radar?

Thanks for your help here!

Nordic valley has really good beginner deals. Yearly rental at level 9. Night skiing is cheap at the northern resort that is not snow basin

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i got your groms season rentals covered
    lemme know when yur coming in
    other than this weekend
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Is he in 5th grade yet?

Does Utah do the 5th graders ski free program?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The Indy pass for kids is only $99. If any of those places are close to you guys, I’d be more than happy to donate towards a pass for this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Is he in 5th grade yet?

Does Utah do the 5th graders ski free program?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    I did that program with my kids.....worked great at all places except one......

Quick story....(sorry, it’s a negative one). Youngest daughter was in 5th grade...but was/is tall for her age. She got harassed all morning by Alta liftees (giving her a hard time/stopping her in line/asking birthdate/what year were u born?....bullshit stuff...pulling her out of line/holding everyone up in line behind her.....I finally chimed in and told them to screw off/and we went and skied the Bird the rest of the day......Haven’t been back to Alta since. (a shame, cuz it’s Alta, but we’ll always remember how they treated her....)

I think they must of been giving a reward for busting fraudulent tickets or something......that can be the only explanation why they were giving her/us such a hard time.

They do the 5th and 6th grades through skiutah.com
    https://www.skiutah.com/passes/passports

45 days for $45. I miss those days.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm in for $ on a pass
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    They do the 5th and 6th grades through skiutah.com
    https://www.skiutah.com/passes/passports

45 days for $45. I miss those days.
    ha, he's in 8th grade this year. super cool kid too. i don't know if a pass is warranted - i'll likely take the recs here and ski powmow/nordic/brighton@night to get him out riding more, since i can absorb some of that cost reasonably well. up until now he has had some (limited) opportunity to ski, mostly because of...well, family stuff. you don't usually end up in a program like BBBSU if everything is working out for you in life, but he's a great kid and his grandma is an absolute rockstar. and - since he's expressed a strong interest in doing more riding, i'm super keen on making it happen.

this summer he learned about dawn patrolling, and now it's all he wants to do. we started doing super early AM hikes up millcreek, ferguson, and big, and he has reliably woken up at 4:55 to be ready for me to pick him up and go. on the mornings we agree to go i now get woken up by him calling me, making sure i'm awake, etc etc. i can only imagine how much cool stuff i could have gotten after if i was able to wake up like him. on top of that - he shows real initiative in researching hikes, preparing for them, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum
    i got your groms season rentals covered
    lemme know when yur coming in
    other than this weekend
    man you fucking rock, honestly, the biggest limiting factor for me was figuring out how to kit him out. i have helmet/gloves/accessories, and he has snow pants and a jacket, so if we could get him on a board he'd be all set.

i tried to convince him to ski but he says that "skiing is for boomers"...

That’s some funny shit, right there.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ha, he's in 8th grade this year. super cool kid too. i don't know if a pass is warranted - i'll likely take the recs here and ski powmow/nordic/brighton@night to get him out riding more, since i can absorb some of that cost reasonably well. up until now he has had some (limited) opportunity to ski, mostly because of...well, family stuff. you don't usually end up in a program like BBBSU if everything is working out for you in life, but he's a great kid and his grandma is an absolute rockstar. and - since he's expressed a strong interest in doing more riding, i'm super keen on making it happen.

this summer he learned about dawn patrolling, and now it's all he wants to do. we started doing super early AM hikes up millcreek, ferguson, and big, and he has reliably woken up at 4:55 to be ready for me to pick him up and go. on the mornings we agree to go i now get woken up by him calling me, making sure i'm awake, etc etc. i can only imagine how much cool stuff i could have gotten after if i was able to wake up like him. on top of that - he shows real initiative in researching hikes, preparing for them, etc.

man you fucking rock, honestly, the biggest limiting factor for me was figuring out how to kit him out. i have helmet/gloves/accessories, and he has snow pants and a jacket, so if we could get him on a board he'd be all set.

i tried to convince him to ski but he says that "skiing is for boomers"...
    Bummer he doesn’t want to ski. I grew up surfing and skating but realized 2 planks are better in the mountains. If for some reason he changes his mind and he wants to try 2 planks. I’ll cover his skiing at Alta. If any other mag has a similar situation. Let me know. Props to you tgapp. This is true stoke!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I did that program with my kids.....worked great at all places except one......

Quick story....(sorry, it’s a negative one). Youngest daughter was in 5th grade...but was/is tall for her age. She got harassed all morning by Alta liftees (giving her a hard time/stopping her in line/asking birthdate/what year were u born?....bullshit stuff...pulling her out of line/holding everyone up in line behind her.....I finally chimed in and told them to screw off/and we went and skied the Bird the rest of the day......Haven’t been back to Alta since. (a shame, cuz it’s Alta, but we’ll always remember how they treated her....)

I think they must of been giving a reward for busting fraudulent tickets or something......that can be the only explanation why they were giving her/us such a hard time.
    once upon a time i had a young grom jong even though he worked up there and was part of the crew
    whilst chilling in the singles line trying to git his balls all deep in the ho
    he was attacked by a agro alta coke feind employed by the pdog
    and his chets got stomped and feelings hurt
    tell yur grommets
    bombs go boom
    scoochin sucks
    as does postholing the traverse
    and ifin yur gonna gits up at o dark thirty
    might as well learn to fish
    give me a boot and board size and ill pull sum stuff aside
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

^^^Holy Hell, I wish somebody had saved that viddy---ALL time classic

How is Luffski? You still talk to that dude?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    once upon a time i had a young grom jong even though he worked up there and was part of the crew
    tell yur grommets
    bombs go boom
    scoochin sucks
    Thanks dude....kids love Soli btw....it’s been awhile, but that’s where they first dipped their toes into BCC/UT skiing....

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    tell yur grommets
    bombs go boom
    scoochin sucks
    ha! good thing they're really watching out for those 6th graders that look like 5th graders - that's a crime worth catching, if there ever was one. i'll find out his board/boot size and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup
    Bummer he doesn’t want to ski. I grew up surfing and skating but realized 2 planks are better in the mountains. If for some reason he changes his mind and he wants to try 2 planks. I’ll cover his skiing at Alta. If any other mag has a similar situation. Let me know. Props to you tgapp. This is true stoke!
    man that is so kind of you - i also wish he was keen on skiing, but for now, it's just snowboarding. our conversations go like this:

"well you snowboarded in middleschool and high school right??"
    "yeah but now i ski"
    "because you got old and boring, huh"

seriously though, this community rocks, and i would be remiss if i didn't take the opportunity to plug big brothers big sisters. they're a fucking rad org, and kids (on average) spend 2 years waiting for a mentor. the mentorship screening process is pretty involved (as it should be - they need to keep the creeps out), but they really try hard to match you with a kid that you're going to succeed with. i feel super lucky to participate in the program.

thanks everyone )

What pass do you have? BCC or Brighton?

A youth twilight pass is $279, I'd be happy to cover that if you've got yours there. You guys could go up after school.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    What pass do you have? BCC or Brighton?

A youth twilight pass is $279, I'd be happy to cover that if you've got yours there. You guys could go up after school.
    you guys are so fucking kind. honestly, i appreciate all of the good-will (it's what makes this place so special).

I didn't get a pass this year (usually we're at basin but this year we just got the mrs a pass and a new water heater for the house, instead of a pass for me - which is honestly a-okay with me, we're doing great), but I want to get him out as much as possible. Really - and I appreciate all of the super generous offers for help - I just wanted to figure out the cheapest way to do this, since me and wifey are DINKS and we like hanging out with the grom (he's genuinely a blast) - we just wanna figure out how to do it on the cheap.

Realistically, I can see him going somewhere between 10 and 20 times, so I think night skiing at powmow/brighton (and 2 for 1 coupons) might be the move. He can also help cover some of the expense; a lot of the program is about life skills like personal responsibility/budgeting/etc, so what we'll do is come together, come up with a plan to pay for skiing, and then work to make that happen. LB (little brother - i know - the nomenclature is a little weird) works a summer gig and has some spending money, so he can contribute here too - might not be much, but it's the structure and goal setting that matters here.. With SFB helping with rentals, we can 100% make this a reality this winter. I'm just worried that he's gonna like riding as much as he likes waking up at 5am to go hiking.

You guys all rock. Thank you again.

I got you covered for a cat run at the pow mow for one run of full blower. Over the head depending on their height. I can take you to goods my treat.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)