Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    As a Parkite, that borders on blasphemy.
    The program here is what has jaded me a bit. Athletes living in their trucks while USA execs and Olympic consultants live in their mansions. But admittedly, I am jaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    IThe program here is what has jaded me a bit. Athletes living in their trucks while USA execs and Olympic consultants live in their mansions. But admittedly, I am jaded.
    A friend is on/off (on then off then on, mostly due to finishing college) the team and this couldn’t be more accurate. I’m appalled at how the athletes are treated.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Bad analogy. Tiger was absolutely dominating the tour when he was off doing his extracurricular activities. 7 wins in 2007, 4 in 2008 and had to quit early for knee surgery after winning the US Open, then 6 more in 2009 before his life blew up.
    Not exactly.. Tiger lost his way, and his golf mojo after his dad passed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Bad analogy. Tiger was absolutely dominating the tour when he was off doing his extracurricular activities. 7 wins in 2007, 4 in 2008 and had to quit early for knee surgery after winning the US Open, then 6 more in 2009 before his life blew up.
    Its the same when you think about it though. Both acts involved getting your ball(s) to the hole.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

It was the year before that, not last May. So completely irrelevant.

Did you think she was training at Squaw a few months after they shut down?
    Hard-line anti-bbq!

Especially with those sick fucks from the mens speed team.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Not exactly.. Tiger lost his way, and his golf mojo after his dad passed.
    I think you're confused. Actually, I know you're confused. His dad died in 2006... and he went on a tear winning a shit ton of events after that. 20+ wins in less than 4 years... not many golfers have won that many in their entire career.

I think you're confused. Actually, I know you're confused. His dad died in 2006... and he went on a tear winning a shit ton of events after that. 20+ wins in less than 4 years... not many golfers have won that many in their entire career.
    Ah, 10-4 I guess i meant his behavior. Who knows maybe he was always shagging denny waitresses

Sent from my SM-N986U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A big part of the difference between the elite and the rest in highly competitive pursuits like sports and music is practice. Superstars don't just practice and train harder and longer than the rest, they are compelled to do it, they love to practice, they feel anxious and uncomfortable if they miss practice. Practice isn't work for them like it is for most of us. It isn't boring for them like it is for the rest of us. In his 80's the classical pianist Vladimir Horowitz still practiced 3 hours a day. It's a story you hear all the time, how so and so was practicing after everyone had gone home. (They used to say that a lot about Tiger Woods, until he turned that same intensity and focus into shtupping cocktail waiteresses.) The need and drive to practice like that is much rarer than the physical gifts to be excellent at something.
    /Yeah, you can wave your dick in the air all day but talent is raw. These kids are a different breed. You can breed them, kinda... but they kinda breed themselves.

Bad joke. .
    fify

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Ah, 10-4 I guess i meant his behavior.
    That part is very likely true. But yeah, it certainly didn't hurt his game.

I guess my point is, the idea that elite athletes need to dedicate every waking minute is over-played. I've been saying for a few years now that Mikaela was going to burn out by 26-27 if not before then.

Shiffrin grew up in Vail, one of the wealthiest small towns in America. The family lived in New Hampshire from age 8 to 13 but she attended Burke Mountain Academy for most of her middle and high school, as did her brother (3 years older). Even when her family moved back to Colorado, she was spending most of her time at Burke. She made her world cup debut at 15 and won her first race at 17. It's not surprising that "she has been treated for anxiety disorder and hyperactive type ADHD ever since she was a child."

I would not want my child to grow up the way Shiffrin did, like a Russian gymnast. The way ski racers grow up in Europe is way more organic. They live in small mountain towns and ski at their local hill with their friends. In the US, if you want to make it big, you have to leave your family at age 13 and go to some stuck up racing academy skiing shitty ice on shitty mountains (not to mention, be exceptionally wealthy to afford all of this). It is not surprising if she burns out and suffers from mental illness.
    Last edited by altasnob; 10-10-2020 at 10:37 AM.

JFC, let her live her life.

Pretty sure no one here is stopping her...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

That part is very likely true. But yeah, it certainly didn't hurt his game.

I guess my point is, the idea that elite athletes need to dedicate every waking minute is over-played. I've been saying for a few years now that Mikaela was going to burn out by 26-27 if not before then.
    For the average world class athlete who has to push themselves to practice enough to stay near the top burnout is a real possibility. For the elite who live to practice it isn't. In the article she isn't complaining about having to train, she's complaining about missing her home and family. Compulsive trainers are not immune to competing human emotions. And not all compulsive trainers are elite athletes--we're all familiar with people who get very upset if they have to stop their daily runs or whatever because of overuse injuries--they are all over this forum. It is a true compulsion and it doesn't go away with retirement from the sport. Horowitz, as I mentioned above, was practicing his 3 hours a day long after he stopped performing in public. It's a psychology most of us can't understand.

Here's another example. https://www.theringer.com/nfl-previe...rever-football
    Is Gore still able to play at 36 because of his training regimen, or is his need to keep training what motivates him to keep playing? Both, I would say. Or maybe he's just broke.

Pretty sure no one here is stopping her...
    The judgement is a little hard to take.

I would say the same thing about Tiger's upbringing, and the mental health issues that it has created. This is not unique to ski racing. Sports are becoming less "fun" in the US as controlling parents do everything they can to chart their child's path from an increasingly early age. Unfortunately, it works and it pays off (at least economically), so more and more go down this path.

for you or her? pretty she don't post here.

I'd like to hear more about parents creating ADHD in their kids..

Glad you asked:

What Happened to American Childhood? Too many kids show worrying signs of fragility from a very young age. Here’s what we can do about it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...us-age/609079/

ADHD, or Childhood Narcissism? Ten times as many children are diagnosed with ADHD today as were in the 1970s. What if their behavior—consistently distracted, hyperactive, impulsive—really indicates something else?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...issism/279660/

The Ethos of the Overinvolved Parent: Colleges are adjusting to increasing contact with adults who are more ingrained in their children’s lives than ever.

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...parent/527097/

Overly critical parenting linked with persistent ADHD in kids

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...211-story.html

‘Intensive’ Parenting Is Now the Norm in America: The style of child-rearing that most aspire to takes a lot of time and money, and many families can’t pull it off.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...uality/580528/

The Partnership Between Colleges and Helicopter Parents: Many public universities now rely heavily on parents—particularly those with money, time, and connections—to meet their basic needs.

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...arents/482595/

Not saying Shifrrin's parents are 100% responsible for any mental illness she may suffer from. It is just as possible that they are 100% not responsible. But I don't think her style of upbringing is what Americans should try to emulate (and most wouldn't have to ability even if they wanted to). It seems apparent that she is desperate for normalcy.

That's what I've always enjoyed as being a parent of a ADHD son. The crass judgement of our child's parenting by others.

Thank you for that. I was going to post something similar, but I have no first hand knowledge. The bald uneducated generalizations spewed around here are almost comical
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Did you stick your kid in a ski racing boarding school two thousand miles from your house at the age of 13?

At 13 I would have loved to have had that opportunity.