Western Slope/San Juans BC partners wanted

I just relocated to Montrose and am looking for some new ski partners for the upcoming season (and beyond). I'm new to the area and the San Juans but have spent the last 10 years in Utah and Colorado.

About me- decent chunk of BC skiing experience, competent skier, have my Avy 2 and some SAR experience. I'd say I lie on the conservative side of hazard management. There's a few folks around the forum who could probably vouch for me.

If you are in the area and don't mind showing a new guy around, the first round is on me.

I have a bud in the same boat. He’s building a house on the ski lake by the airport.

I'd be down for turns on Red Mtn; coming from the other direction, though.

Can't claim to have much local beta, as last year was my first living down here, and then they closed SJ County all spring. Definitely a trees in mid-winter, wait for spring to get rowdy type. Avy 1, fit on the up, competent on the down, blah blah blah.
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by miserywhip View Post
    I'd be down for turns on Red Mtn; coming from the other direction, though.

Can't claim to have much local beta, as last year was my first living down here, and then they closed SJ County all spring. Definitely a trees in mid-winter, wait for spring to get rowdy type. Avy 1, fit on the up, competent on the down, blah blah blah.
    Cool, I'll hit you up when the snow starts falling!

Bump for snow in the forecast. I may go for a scouting trip next week and try to get some mellow turns depending on how the forecast pans out.

CB isn't that much farther than the San Juans from Montrose, feel free to hit me up if you ever head this way.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    CB isn't that much farther than the San Juans from Montrose, feel free to hit me up if you ever head this way.
    For sure! We used to live in Gunni and have lots of friends in the valley. We did Epic Passes this year, I'm sure we'll make it over that way quite a bit.

Don't be a stranger if you ever find yourself in the McClure/Marble area. Although this is my first winter in this particular spot, so maybe only hit me up if you're into a "blind leading the blind" type tour.

Looking for BC partner/group San Juans

Hey all - I'll be spending rest of jan and feb in Durango, looking for some new friends to tour with. I have some BC experience in Utah but am new to the San Juan's. Looking to keep things cautious given what I've been reading about this year's snowpack.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Don't be a stranger if you ever find yourself in the McClure/Marble area. Although this is my first winter in this particular spot, so maybe only hit me up if you're into a "blind leading the blind" type tour.
    I have this weird feeling I met you and your brother at penny.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by ghirsh0875 View Post
    Hey all - I'll be spending rest of jan and feb in Durango, looking for some new friends to tour with. I have some BC experience in Utah but am new to the San Juan's. Looking to keep things cautious given what I've been reading about this year's snowpack.
    I'm in la sal and we have like no snow. How are things around there?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

During the winter, how dicey is it to travel from Ouray to Red Mountain Pass on 550? I'm thinking of skiing that area sometime in March.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Timely bump, I'm new to the area and will be looking for partners this winter. I'm in Dolores so pretty easy access to both the 145 and 550 corridors.
    Lots of BC experience (15ish seasons?), Avy 1/2/CR, current WFR, have taught avalanche awareness for several years, etc. Have sleds (more of a use sleds for access then skin kinda guy). I'm definitely not the type to try to hammer out huge days all the time, sure I'll go after bigger objectives when conditions warrant but most of the time I'm happy with casual low stress meadowskipping.

To answer schindler's question, Red Mountain Pass from the Ouray side is a spicy road, but whether it's an issue or not depends entirely on whether it's snowing.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    During the winter, how dicey is it to travel from Ouray to Red Mountain Pass on 550? I'm thinking of skiing that area sometime in March.
    If its snowing, it can be shitty. Its a narrow shelf road with no shoulder and yuge drop offs. If you're comfortable with that sort of driving, you'll be fine. The worst part is the first stretch out of Ouray.

Adrenalated, let's try and meet up for some turns once the snow starts stacking up. I'm usually off Sat-Mon.

I consider myself a well seasoned 550 driver and I try my best to avoid Ouray to Silverton in true blizzard conditions. I typically end up getting caught once or twice a season though. Slow and steady with good tires has always gotten me home, but I worry about those cliffs and shots in the main gorge ripping and sending me over the edge on the spicier days.

Glad to see there are a few San Juan folks on here this year. I'm up in Silverton proper. Hope to actually meet some of ya'll this season

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Extra spicy

The better half is working for SAS this winter, so I'll tag along a few times, I'm sure. See a bunch of you soon!

if Monarch pass falls in the crosshairs I'm around

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    The better half is working for SAS this winter, so I'll tag along a few times, I'm sure. See a bunch of you soon!
    No shit? That's awesome! Looking forward to skiing with you guys.

I'm also in the area. I'm a desk jockey, but get out a fair amount.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Just relocated the family to Durango. Also looking for backcountry partners. I will be up at Purgatory with the kids most weekends but my weekdays are open for touring.

I hope to be in San Juan lurk mode for a good part of February.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Just signed up for AVY 1 class in Silverton 2/10-2/12. Been skiing backcountry for 20 + years but the San Juan snowpack is sketching me the fuck out compared to pretty much everywhere else I have skied. Any locals want to hit Coal Bank or Molas pass and show me around once the forecast improves?

Cross posting from the thread on Telluride Lift 9 replacement/"entitlement" as this thread seems more relevant.

I would love to get in some low angle backcountry touring to break into backcountry skiing and get some low risk practice. I understand the meadows under Lizard Head pass are relatively low consequence starter terrain (I don't actually know shit but I can read, feel free to tell me I'm completely off base - https://westonbackcountry.com/blogs/...tains-colorado) but I don't have any way of getting there or a partner. If someone wants to make a few chill laps up that way between 2/16 and 2/20 and get away from the President's Day Weekend crowds let me know, I would love to tag along if you're willing to tolerate a JONG and do your good deed for the month by paying a little knowledge forward.

About me: I enjoy long walks on the (Gulf Coast) beaches, have all backcountry gear (beacon, probe, shovel, skins, hybrid bindings) with minimal practice at home, have read Tremper's "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain", and been skiing for ~15 years, run (not that fast, not that slow) several days a week so shouldn't be an absolute deadweight. I will be happy to buy you beer and am aware I'm a JONG so I'll listen more than I'll talk.

If you think you might be willing to engage in said saintly activities of "towing" a jong in low angle meadow skipping and glades, let me know.

Cheers,
    Cade
    Last edited by caderader; 01-10-2023 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo