Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I duno anything about guitar but i read something about how he did it all without effects pedals, he was the effect ?
    All guitar players use effect pedals (a very generic, catch all term) .

Many times, effect pedals are the subtle tweak that creates the signature sound, often by adding some vague attribute to the sound, like "punch", "decay", "resonance",, etc . The Tube Screamer is a good example, it's just an overdrive pedal, but SRV turned it into one of the most desired sounds in the world. Eddie has the right combo of guitar, amps, effects & mixing to create an extremely unique sound.

Eddie used distortion, flanger, phaser and chorus throughout his career, but many of his signature sounds (ex. trem bar dives, tapping, pinch & pitch harmonics, ultrafast strumming) are pure skill, just better projected through effects.

/GuitarGeekout

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I duno anything about guitar but i read something about how he did it all without effects pedals, he was the effect ?
    I only know about the Diamond Dave years, but EVH definitely used pedals. There's a phase 90 and flanger (probably mxr) all over the earlier stuff.

During my punk/hardcore years I had a job at a wood framed window factory in Oregon. My line boss took monthly trips to Vegas in his Camaro, powered by meth. The radio at work blasted some bullshit buttrock station during my shift, which I mostly hated, but Panama was a song in regular rotation and was the high point of my day. Eddie rocked. RIP.

He changed the way most guys like myself looked at the guitar. Profound loss...right there with someone like McConkey. GOAT. RIP.
    Gravity. It's the law.

If any real fans never gave vhiii a chance you should, here’s some amazing instrumentals in there, and Gary isn’t that bad.

This however, was from Balance. Dare you to turn the volume to 11 and hit play.

ETA not meant to be his most face melting or hardest song. Just one I love you may have missed if you didn’t give this album a try.

Last edited by Rideski; 10-06-2020 at 09:59 PM.

12 essential songs

Eddie Van Halen’s 12 Essential Songs https://nyti.ms/33DZJem

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=igdZKgESbJU

Summer of 1983 I was 14, my parents sent me to visit some cousins in SoCal. Crestline California. When I arrived my cousin pulled me into his room and told me to get ready we were going to sneak to a concert that weekend. The 1983 US Festival. Craziest shit I’ve ever seen. First concert first time seeing Van Halen. No concert has ever come close. There were hundreds of thousands of people there. I’ve never seen anything like it since. Of course we got busted when we got home. Well worth it.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Sure that wasn’t an 8track?
    Not really ...

I never knew that that the Van Halen boys were part Indonesian.

https://www.asian-dawn.com/2020/04/3...die-van-halen/

His mom. Dad was Dutch. I just learned that now myself. Immigrants. Pretty cool.

Didn't realize I had that much in common with him.

Been revisting all night. My 10yr old self has died and is forever gone. Fuck 2020.

Riding home on the bus in 9th grade, the neighborhood hippie/pot smoker chick plays the first album on cassette on her boom box. Life changing. Fast forward a couple years, Mean streets tour. Sold out Boston garden, the entire crown singing the “hey hey hey “ part to ain’t talkin bout love. Best concert of my life. Thanks VH and RIP Eddie.

Rock in Power GOAT

Some good shit on that album. Hear About it Later, Dirty Movies, etc.

Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post

I never knew that that the Van Halen boys were part Indonesian.

https://www.asian-dawn.com/2020/04/3...die-van-halen/

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I always loved "Hot For Teacher" as a showcase that Eddie was so fucking badass he could start the whole song with a ripping solo.
    Weird...I always remember the drum intro...Alex was no slouch either!

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Eruption was Van Halens calling card...
    This is the song I'll (and most) will likely remember EVH's genius. I remember every single kid who owned a guitar, sitting in their room or the basement, trying to learn Eruption. And...that would have been around '84-'85 for me...so at that point, the song was out for 6 or 7 years...and it was still the "guitar part" every teenager looked to as the height of axe wizardry....might still be.

I wasn't a huge VH fan, but this is my favorite:
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Not sure why, but this has always been my favorite VH song. Just builds and explodes. Spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla Gorilla View Post
    RIP, a legend

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Here's a backstory to that guitar, the Frankenstrat. Guy that built it is from Spokane.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...n-and-his-leg/

"So how did a former furnituremaker with a background in science end up making custom guitars for some of the biggest rock stars in the world, everyone from Pete Townsend to Eric Clapton to Joe Walsh to Billy Gibbons – all members of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? More importantly, how did he end up in Spokane?"

Pretty strong resume'.

ETA: When VH played the Monsters of Rock show in Spokane, they played in an old football stadium that was about 1/4 mile from my house. We didn't even go to the show, just us and some friends, sitting in lawn chairs in our backyard, drinking beer, enjoying the show. It was obviously very loud for us to be able to hear it so well. Van Hagar was the closing act but were preceded by Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica, and Kingdom Come. The total show was about six hours.

Sammy Hagar was in town last winter and heard that the stadium they played in was being demolished and proposed reinventing the show for this fall. Then Covid came along and any discussion of that has gone silent, as has Eddie. RIP Eddie.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...nto-albi-stad/
    Last edited by GoldMember; 10-07-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Sirius XM has dedicated channel 27 Deep Tracks to Van Halen. If you have a sub check it out...been fun listening to stuff from high school. I wasn't a huge fan by any means. I know most of their catalog, and owned many at one time or another, but there is no dispute that Eddie was one of the greats.... RIP EVH

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Here's a backstory to that guitar, the Frankenstrat. Guy that built it is from Spokane.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...n-and-his-leg/

"So how did a former furnituremaker with a background in science end up making custom guitars for some of the biggest rock stars in the world, everyone from Pete Townsend to Eric Clapton to Joe Walsh to Billy Gibbons – all members of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? More importantly, how did he end up in Spokane?"

Pretty strong resume'.
    I just feel that their catalogue has stood up against the test of time.

I mean, who couldn't like this in today's socio-political climate?

https://youtu.be/I-87vYrB848

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Real bummer about the passing of Edward Van Halen from this Earth. Not really surprised given his history of polysubstance "abuse" and given that he had been diagnosed with a head and neck cancer with progression to esophageal. Probably had proton beam therapy when in Germany recently, but usually at that point it's only palliative. Sad...

I still remember hearing "I'll Wait" for the first time and loving it. I was into drumming at the time and Ed's brother Alex was a significant influence for me wanting to continue to play. I don't play anymore, but in high school and the band I was part of in college focused a lot on covering Van Halen tunes.

Speaking of their Indonesian heritage, you can certainly see their mothers Indonesian heritage in Alex.
    Last edited by mtnjam; 10-07-2020 at 10:45 AM.

That comment that Gene Simmons made about Eddie is so true. Always smiling. Always having a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That comment that Gene Simmons made about Eddie is so true. Always smiling. Always having a blast.
    Yep, he was always smiling and recognizing fans in the audience that were truly into the music not just there to be there.

The one and only time I saw Van Halen was at the Idaho Center in Nampa, ID, although not the original Van Halen it was still pretty damned good.

Either way, I still remember Ed looking directly at me (about 10 rows back) playing along on "air guitar" and kinda laughing and getting that grin he had with a nod of approval. Kinda cool.

I learned a little trivia today, @ 3:12, unmistakeable!

Van Halen himself would admit he was initially skeptical of contributing to Jackson’s album, wondering how much he had in common with a singer he remembered for chanting “A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3.” But Jackson had written “Beat It” as a rock song, anchored by a hard and funky ruff by guitarist Steve Lukather. When Van Halen arrived at the studio in Los Angeles, Jones told him he could improvise. Van Halen listened to “Beat It,” asked if he could rearrange the song and added a pair of solos during which, engineers would long swear, a speaker caught on fire.

As he was finishing, Jackson walked in.

“I didn’t know how he would react to what I was doing. So I warned him before he listened. I said, ‘Look, I changed the middle section of your song,’” Van Halen told CNN. “Now in my mind, he’s either going to have his bodyguards kick me out for butchering his song, or he’s going to like it. And so he gave it a listen, and he turned to me and went, ‘Wow, thank you so much for having the passion to not just come in and blaze a solo, but to actually care about the song, and make it better.’”

Van Halen worked for free, was not credited on the album and didn’t appear in the video. But his touch was undisguisable. After the record’s release, Van Halen would remember shopping in a Tower Records while “Beat It” was playing on the sound system.
    https://apnews.com/article/music-edd...789be08bfe3fc5