Page 27 of 83 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeride World Tour

looks fine to me. that's probably the most hammered part for the photo. Still on for Saturday according to the fwt
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I'm guessing it's canceled. That's brutal looking. I know these kids a damn good but I can't see them putting together event worthy lines in that mank.
    Bringing the lols

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

about 3 weeks too late, but this just showed up in my feed. Would be pretty sweet to get set up with Aymar as your resort guide.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    the face to the right is gnar at the top but then there wouldn't be much after that.
    Name:  Backside of Ozone so much fun See our lines on the.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  61.8 KB

^^ So... yeah, right? Major consequences at the top and then just a big clean runout? Seems less interesting than the ozone face. Or maybe I'm wrong? The top there is so steep could the athletes do more than one big drop realistically?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Two new venues to date has me looking forward to seeing a familiar face.

Spanish chargers, stalwart Swedes, PNW surfers... good crop of riders this year. I am very much enjoying this season.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    This is more what I expected, not the positivity the video portrayed, considering the five week? long high pressure system with consistently high ravaging winds. Golden locals (GoldenBC, DougW), is this not the case?
    Skied Sunday, Monday,Tuesday Wednesday but not today ( Thursday) Monday there was wind but depended where you skied, abit sheltered and was very good. There was 6cm fresh as I remember so 0cm on one side of a run and 15cm on the other side. Summit had a great day. Tuesday no wind and still was skiing well. Did T1 south and was very nice , a couple of laps on white wall ( lookers left of Ozone) one had some wind effect up high , second run was much better, Middle ridge north skied well. Middle ridge south( lower down on same ridge as Ozone) looked fine on the hike up.

However I heard today that with high winds everything was now hard or very wind effected. So it was skiing pretty well and now its not. They did keep T1 north closed so that could be used as a venue ? Cliffie bits should be good but fans could be pretty wind effected.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

^^ So... yeah, right? Major consequences at the top and then just a big clean runout? Seems less interesting than the ozone face. Or maybe I'm wrong? The top there is so steep could the athletes do more than one big drop realistically?
    The chutes you see are all fun to ski from a powder day perspective. The cornice on top is often the trickiest part. Some have mandatory airs but I won't tell you which ones

Saturday comp. 120km winds did a number to the tents and they needed more time.

Guts of the venue are wind loaded pow, ridges are like that photo described. Forerunner looked smooth through it but didn’t leave tracks. All the lower landings look surprisingly good, but I don’t have to hit them. Haha. Riders are concerned but are saying it might be the best conditions of the year, which is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Shoulda been at Mammoth. Wind blasted terrain would have skied so much better there.

But that pic isn't telling the whole story.
    The eastern Sierra windpack is more packed than at any other venue. I've heard stories that one day The locals were blown from exterminator right onto I90. Good times back in 94.

And the pics: woah. What a difference The wind makes.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Shoulda been at Mammoth. Wind blasted terrain would have skied so much better there.

But that pic isn't telling the whole story.
    Yeah think how nice the wind grooming would have been at the mammoth venue.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    The eastern Sierra windpack is more packed than at any other venue. I've heard stories that one day The locals were blown from exterminator right onto I90. Good times back in 94.
    The Mammoth wind machine actually is excellent and really a thing. But it's not so good that it's gonna blow someone the 650 miles (1040 of your tiny units) it is to the closest point on I-90.

Seems like the kiwis would be getting the biggest bump from these conditions.

Freeride World Tour

Not stepping into the Mammoth BS trolling but actually some of my best days ever there were no fresh snow but pure refilled wind buff. If you know then you know. I have yet to see anything like it elsewhere. Even with the same heavy winds and similar aspects we do not get the same effect around Tahoe.

Not stepping into the Mammoth BS trolling but actually some of my best days ever there were no fresh snow but pure refilled wind buff. If you know then you know. I have yet to see anything like it elsewhere. Even with the same heavy winds and similar aspects we do not get the same effect around Tahoe.
    I have skied Mammoth a ton back in the day and know exactly what you’re referring to. Big Sky gets the same treatment.

Freeride World Tour

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I have skied Mammoth a ton back in the day and know exactly what you’re referring to. Big Sky gets the same treatment.
    I did experience a bit of that on the Challenger chair several years back. It was snowing but not enough to fill in tracks on its own, so definitely some wind involved. Love Big Sky.

On that note, one of the better FWQ events I’ve seen was on the Headwall face on the Moonlight Basin side.

Ignorantly popping into this thread. Kirkwood will also receive the wind buff like mammoth, but typically not as widespread on the mountain.

Where’s the venue location proposed at mammoth?

On that note, one of the better FWQ events I’ve seen was on the Headwall face on the Moonlight Basin side.
    Malakov's qually run was bonkers. I kinda miss having a few checkers or wreckers guys like him on the tour, but it seems like the current format and judging makes that a lot less viable.

^^ that’s the one, didn’t realize it was him. I kind of remember someone at the time saying that was the first clean (stomped) descent of chute #7 or something like that.

That was sick!

Snow in the forecast, but it looks like once it starts it'll eat the whole window. Too bad about this wind event, we've basically had perfect conditions since Christmas otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    SKIBOSS BLAZIN´VITATIONAL
    saw this on newschoolers... it is not mammoth mountain but thought it belongs here too

SKIBOSS BLAZINVITATIONAL
    mmmmmm lea......
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

looks like they were eyeing up another area as a venue

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Area as in around Golden or area as in somewhere in eastern BC / western Alberta?

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    any details? That would be T1 north I would think , its a different aspect that shouldn't have been as affected by wind from west but but its hard to tell. Shorter , the one they used in 2019? for the Japan in Canada
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjcgLjDroA8
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Sounded like different face at KH. There is a post on the Instagram about the riders not liking the conditions.