Page 54 of 83 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2070
    Just now watching the replay and haven't read the thread yet but had to pause to comment on Finn B. FKNA.

I definitely prefer the true freeride style to the Flippy spinny shit but I have to give it to the kid for taking feedback.

They didn't like the 5 to revert, so what does he do? Land switch and carry it off the next cliff until he can turn back straight.

Gonna finish watching and then read the comments here before I add more, but found that pretty impressive for the freestyle kid trying to adapt to the judges and terrain.

The Ski Boss is out for Kickinghorse. He literally hucked himself directly into a tree. It doesn't sound serious luckily.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The Whistler kid looks like a rocket but how did he get 75 points with a crash when Max Palm gets 60 with a nothing slip at the end? Chabloz looks the one to beat (again) - would’ve won easily if not for the backslap.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    The Ski Boss is out for Kickinghorse. He literally hucked himself directly into a tree. It doesn't sound serious luckily.
    Just watched the video. Eesh.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post

Same... the Oh no! in mid air as soon as he realized he wasn't anywhere close to having enough speed!

I'd love to ski this venue and see how steep (or not) it is. Based on how some had issues dumping speed a few times (could be that warming snow) but others look lacidasical on the way down, and how many times they talk about flat landings, it looks like decent cliffs with flat landings, which would lend itself to what we saw, and things like Finn did WERE freeride on that face... plus he got a little gnar in up top.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I mean, why???
    https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRs3nCre/

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Thought the same thing. Seemed like a dumb stunt right before a comp. I get skiing big lines and hitting cliffs etc to keep a skier sharp, but this was just a stunt on a built take off that he misjudged massively.
    The in air commentary was good tho. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    The Whistler kid looks like a rocket but how did he get 75 points with a crash when Max Palm gets 60 with a nothing slip at the end? Chabloz looks the one to beat (again) - would’ve won easily if not for the backslap.
    Nope. I think it was pretty clear they weren't going to overly reward Chabloz for either double when neither one involved any exposure. A traverse to a windlip for an extra rotation isn't worth it for points and I'm glad.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The in air commentary was good tho. Lol
    Right through that bitch. Oh no.

Bitch wasn't having it which looked pretty damn obvious once you see it from the side. He was what, at least 6 to 10' too low to make it? And even with that the branches would have stripped him naked?
    Dude's got nothing left in his melon, or his vocal chords...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

That was my first thought too. He's 39 years old now. I'm probably really wimpy but it seems like an unnecessary risk to take for a video clip.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Shit he just threw a a quad backie . I don't think he's slowing down anytime soon

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I wonder who gets Boss' spot. Lots of new talent these days. Kinda cool. Hopefully it's another rookie.

I had to go back and flip through the riders again. Yeah, Tester was my favorite of this event. But, that said, there was a lot of fine skiing going on. I had a blast watching it. And, I suspect this is a big boost to everyone's confidence going into Kicking Horse.

I also appreciated Valentin showing his emotions in the finish. Skiing like he did meant a lot to him. Made me happy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Nope. I think it was pretty clear they weren't going to overly reward Chabloz for either double when neither one involved any exposure. A traverse to a windlip for an extra rotation isn't worth it for points and I'm glad.
    Well he scored 88.3 points with a backslap and the winning score was 91 so actually yes he would have won easily without it whatever you may think of the (lack of) exposure.

Who the fuk names themselves ‘ski boss’ anyway. The boss of skiing? Far from it. Guy is a hack IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Who the fuk names themselves ‘ski boss’ anyway. The boss of skiing? Far from it. Guy is a hack IMO.
    Haha, yeah? ok.....
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I wonder who gets Boss' spot. Lots of new talent these days. Kinda cool. Hopefully it's another rookie.
    This

What?

I really like Derek Foose in the commentary seat. He adds a lot to the broadcasts.

Really entertaining comp!

Marcus Goguen!!! Eats sh*t but manages to salvage a solid score!

My big question of the day is: what happened to the FWT/IFSA joint rule that you couldn't compete as a junior and an adult in the same season? This rule kept Thing #2 from going to junior world championships the year he qualified because he wanted to ski in adult qualifiers the following season.

It worked out OK in the long run, but was a huge disappointment to him after years of hard work. Seemed like a shitty thing to do to a kid who'd worked so hard to succeed. Not that the wildcard kid isn't amazing and well qualified to be there, and I'm stoked for him, but it kinda is another shining example of how FWT pretty much rewards who they feel like rewarding regardless of rules or criteria. Bums me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I'm sure it bums you out. But maybe they're learning from past mistakes.

For example-- we don't have any Jeremy Heitz' guys on their 100mph campaigns anymore either. Guys who you know how they are going to ski before they even drop in. And you know it's 50/50 they'll even ski out of it. (That was tough to type because Jeremy was my favorite in his early days before his 100mph campaign. I knew that was the end of his tour days.)

Another example, we don't see any more athletes like Dennis Risvoll crashing into cliff walls, either.

The sport has gone through tremendous changes. Perhaps Thing #2 helped aid in that progression.

I'll be honest, Marcus' line (without stuffing his face into the snow on his 3,) and then throwing a cork 7 a mere seconds later with snow-packed goggles, could likely have won that event. That dude is 18 fucking years old, and he's clearly in a league of his own for his age demographic. He's even out-skiing 20-30 year-olds.

So, maybe we'd be pissed off if FWT didn't change the rules and let him in.

I'm all for fresh talent. I wish they would have been more for fresh talent 5-15 years ago. Because I do clearly remember watching The Bec and knowing exactly which line half of them were going to ski.

If Reine makes it to the Bec, I'll put a wager right now on which line he'll ski. Same with Turdell. And, those are my boys. Turdell is my current favorite. Maybe because I can predict it.

How Hitzig, Maxime, literally anyone else will ski the Bec? I have absolutely no idea. But if these kids can keep throwing down lines without crashing into rock walls, or star-fishing down faces, I'm all down. I want to see what the future looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    That was my first thought too. He's 39 years old now. I'm probably really wimpy but it seems like an unnecessary risk to take for a video clip.
    Wait. 39 is old?
    Fuck
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

40 is the new 30, for sure, in regards to health.

Responsibilities? That's a different life-balance.

Reine's 40 this year. Still skis like a rockstar.

A LOT of athletes have retired from competition after 40. And I don't even think they retired because of skill-set or health.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-03-2023 at 05:08 AM.

13 days to Kicking Horse. I have Golden friends here for the RED junior comp, and they tell me conditions at KH are terrible (shallow and unconsolidated) right now. I’m not seeing anything significant in their long term forecast. It’s going to be sharky.

If the fwt could abondon the kh tournament. Where in the US would be the perfect conditions right now or in 2weeks time?

Tramface in shape?
    Other venues?

A few early morning stealthy skiers put down some nice tracks on Tram Face last week. Yeah, it would be in play and another storm is rolling in this weekend. But safety wise it's just not a realistic venue and there's a reason the one time they tried it they had to pull the plug and go over to Silverado.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.