Page 21 of 83 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    What a way to open the season! That double was completely bananas. Angled takeoff with a gap/transfer to the landing, sooo technical.

Moga would be my pick - a similarly huge but less obvious air than Mael’s plus the high speed ski in to it was wild. Incredibly impressive.

Super Sick comp, honestly one of the best i've watched in years. Mostly due to the fact that there were so many different styles and lines. Some venue's get tiring when the top 10 runs are all basically the same features/tricks all the way. Even though it is generally a loose/sketchy line its nice to see Navaro just go for the full big mountain scare fest any chance he gets haha, definitely the ride I'm most excited to watch in each comp haha. Spain looks super fun to visit, smash some pow/corn/ice then siesta in the sun or go pull on some rock after.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    No way Aymar gets it. Even in the old school USA days you had to actually have a shot at your line/not just get super lucky you didn’t break yourself to get the sick bird.
    Ok so who?

Super impressive skiing by some very young skiers in this contest! I remember when pro skiers really started to shine when they reached their late 20s or sometimes mid-30s after years of experience shooting in big mountains. I guess that doesn't matter anymore thanks to great skis and freeriding clubs and who knows what else.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Ok so who?
    Has to be Moga. Huge air, and he was charging.

Yes, Moga for sure.

I think Moga deserved the win and sickbird.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Has to be Moga. Huge air, and he was charging.
    Seriously charging. Dude meant business.

Freeride World Tour

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Ok so who?
    I’d go Moga too.

Non-sick bird related, but for me, Craig Murray’s flat 3 > the double backie from purely a style POV. But it’s also hard to wrap my head around a double backflip like that. Sick comp all the way around.

IMVHO, Palm deserved the win. First DB in the history of FWT, which as noted was done in an especially technical fashion and stomped perfectly, and the rest of the run was nothing to sneeze at. That deserved to be recognized.

Ozone is looking great!! Stoked to see a fat base up here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1556.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	402582

Name:	IMG_1649.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	402581

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    IMVHO, Palm deserved the win. First DB in the history of FWT, which as noted was done in an especially technical fashion and stomped perfectly, and the rest of the run was nothing to sneeze at. That deserved to be recognized.
    Totally agree. No arguments from me when you look at all that

Murray's flat 3, Nichols' Lincoln loop, Moga's yuuuge send and Palm's double backie. All had me laughing in WTF disbelief.

Moga is a sick, sick man.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

oh man it's hard to watch this footage, why can't they park a drone straight out across from the face and show us the whole damn line from a proper angle? the over the head super close up footage is fine for replay, but it really really sucks if it's all you've got. you can't see what they're skiing over, you can't see where they're going, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Ozone is looking great!! Stoked to see a fat base up here!

Name:	IMG_1556.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	402582

Name:	IMG_1649.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	402581

Plastered. Damn. TBH always felt like Ozone was a bit of a small face too. It's a nice show but very often it's one hit wonders. I remember one time they did it off the back, that was a nice face. Bit short too. Can't seem to find anything in the vicinity of the resort that offers steeps, features and vertical all at the same time. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    oh man it's hard to watch this footage, why can't they park a drone straight out across from the face and show us the whole damn line from a proper angle? the over the head super close up footage is fine for replay, but it really really sucks if it's all you've got. you can't see what they're skiing over, you can't see where they're going, etc..
    Completely agree. The straight on view of the venue/line gives the viewer a better perspective of the whole line. The close in drone shots don’t give any perspective. Salomon Blank collective film was almost unwatchable in parts due to drone footage. I think part of the issue is that the drone needs to be close to the surface, but I have no experience with drones

I liked the drone shots compared to past years but I agree. The wider shots give context that's important, I had a hard time placing the runs on the face. Seeing a bigger view would have been nice in the replay at least, and they could still use the drone shots to highlight bits.

Agreed.

It would be cool if the mission of the drone work would be more like finding a really good view of the venue, then hover/hold and shoot from there.
    Like, rather than trying to use the movement of the drone as a gimmick, use it to achieve static camera angles you can’t get from land.

Seems they are going for a natural selection vibe with the drone shots. I agree, better angles that show the difficulty of the line.

It seems like a lot of the guys they're hiring to get these drone shots are more interested in showing the capabilities of the drone by getting crazy high speed swoopy shots, and less interested in getting stable footage that's actually beneficial to the viewer. This has been an issue with almost every bike and ski edit I've seen that uses drones for anything more than b-roll.

The drones really open the door for some nice shots without the expense of a helicopter, but it seems like it's gonna take another year or two before the operators figure out that the drone doesn't need to be flying all over the place at a million miles an hour to get good footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirene View Post
    Plastered. Damn. TBH always felt like Ozone was a bit of a small face too. It's a nice show but very often it's one hit wonders. I remember one time they did it off the back, that was a nice face. Bit short too. Can't seem to find anything in the vicinity of the resort that offers steeps, features and vertical all at the same time. Any help?
    It's definitely a bit short. The inbounds terrain at KH is very rad but it's all ~200-300m shots and mostly super steep. When you hit something sizable, you tend to find yourself going mach chicken so immediately that it's hard to get another hit in. Ozone is kind of an exception in that it's not at steep as some of the north facing stuff, but it's still compressed. It's got a backside that has been considered as a venue but the FWT turned it down. I personally think it would be interesting, but it's substantially steeper and could be billygoatey. Kind of old school. Doesn't really suit the current trend toward trick heavy runs.

There are a few longer (600m+), more euro style faces around the surrounding area but they'd all require heli or at least sled transport for riders and gear. Plus the associated logistics and avy control issues of being off resort. Ozone is inbounds and lift accessed except for a short hike so it's relatively easy and cheap to run.

Was there ever a shot of Navarro's line at any point in the comp? There wasn't during his run or after the crash and it never appeared in the pre event video (which for some reason looked like there was more snow than during the event).
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Agreed on the drone angles. They need to have their operators watch some Dendrite films are just hire their operators.

Unpopular and probably incorrect opinion: I thought Moga's run was best. I would have gone Moga, Murray, then Palm. Double back was sweet, but I thought Moga and Murray skied basically perfect FWT lines.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Murray's flat 3, Nichols' Lincoln loop, Moga's yuuuge send and Palm's double backie. All had me laughing in WTF disbelief.

Moga is a sick, sick man.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    This. Wow, what a show.

Agreed with all the comments on the drone / lack of perspective footage. I wanted to see Navarro and Moga's line from further away.

This is a pretty sweet (cept the music lol) - Olliver's massive cliff looks unreal in this.

Pirene, thanks for sharing the great local knowledge!
    sproing!