Page 55 of 83 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2056
    Quote Originally Posted by twat View Post
    If the fwt could abondon the kh tournament. Where in the US would be the perfect conditions right now or in 2weeks time?

Tramface in shape?
    Other venues?
    However it comes to be, the addition of U.S. stop is imperative. If anything good comes of FIS invovlement, it is the addition of more tour stops and in particular a US stop.

How may stops does the WSL have? Apples and oranges I know, but it would be great to have 6 or 7 events.

Wouldn't it be great to have a couple more events? These guys are performing at a mind blowing level. Visual inspection !!!!!! and they stuff they are pulling off is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    2008. Not moved due to firm conditions. Moved due to too much snow. This was the Nissan Mammoth Quest and the precursor to the FWT. It was Nicolas Hale Woods making the decisions. Cody did win the event and the actual quest was cancelled (Awards ceremonies at the end). Elyse came in 2nd

McGee (yes, this is the part to the right of the other pic)
    https://www.aboutlaketahoe.com/ski_r...e-mountain.htm

It was possibly originally postponed for bad conditions, then moved because the storm was too big. The contest on Oh Shit Ridge became the contest I think. This, and the following years avalanche on Tram Face seemd to sour Woods on contests in American resorts.
    Interesting how many full face helmets are in that vid.

Just a trend/phase I guess?

I remember Julien Lopez wearing one on tour circa 2015/16, but not sure I've seen one since?

Quote Originally Posted by twat View Post
    If the fwt could abondon the kh tournament. Where in the US would be the perfect conditions right now or in 2weeks time?

Tramface in shape?
    Other venues?
    KW Cirque?

Yup
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I'm sure it bums you out. But maybe they're learning from past mistakes.
    You kinda missed my point. No shade being thrown on anyone but the FWT show runners who consistently operate in their own interests in spite of rules (criteria?). While they get to do that because it's their business, operating in that way damages credibility over the whole scope of how things happen out there, especially scoring runs.

Marcus is incredible and even my former FWT athlete roommate is impressed. "he's gonna be the next big thing" was his comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    credibility over the whole scope of how things happen out there, especially scoring runs.
    Serious question: do they really have all that much credibility now? I imagine most athletes hold some healthy skepticism over the scoring (you could tell by many of their reactions upon hearing their scores).

Marcus is incredible and even my former FWT athlete roommate is impressed. "he's gonna be the next big thing" was his comment.
    I've only seen him ski the Kappl juniors comp and at Andorra, but yea, wow.

a bit less butthurt on the judging this time, Vale Rainer totally deserved it in my opinion.

L. Mumma- fkn amazing style, so aggressive and low/squatted out even in the short technical sections. So cool when somebody skis so smooth that you're eager for them to get to the bottom to see what setup he's using (are those Icelantics?)
    Finn- oh man he had me hooting and hollering in my living room. I could never get to that level in multiple lifetimes but at last there's somebody really committing to the freestyle approach and I feel "represented". I know it's not people's cup of tea over here but perfectly composed cliff drops, styled-out airs, a nosebutter at full speed, a full sw 1 with a full switch inrun-takeoff, a hand drag 3. That is miles above the shitty run of the mill stuff you had in the past and it does take the sport forward, forward in a healthier and more mature way than adding an extra backflip (sorry Chabloz, great run but it's just taste/subjectivity). Style is and should remain important.

You do see how these new kids maybe do scale down the speed and overall aggressiveness but are so fuckin composed in the air, each cliff Goguen hit had a perfectly styled out shifty, those wimpy muscle spasms we used to see hopefully will be gone with time. If you wanna hit it fast and directional just stay composed, if you have to shifty then poke it tf out, that's how i see it at least.

Justine Dufour and Molly Armanino are top notch, filling the space that Lizzie G is leaving. I sure hope she picks up points in the next ones, she must have been jinxed by me buying the bib with her name last month (and feeling like burning it once i heard about the FIS takeover).

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    13 days to Kicking Horse. I have Golden friends here for the RED junior comp, and they tell me conditions at KH are terrible (shallow and unconsolidated) right now. I’m not seeing anything significant in their long term forecast. It’s going to be sharky.
    Due for 10cm over the next week. Not significant, but 10 at KH can be pretty good in a lot of spaces. It's like 10cm at Fernie can constitute an epic powder day.

Quote Originally Posted by oltrepiave View Post
    a bit less butthurt on the judging this time, Vale Rainer totally deserved it in my opinion.

L. Mumma- fkn amazing style, so aggressive and low/squatted out even in the short technical sections. So cool when somebody skis so smooth that you're eager for them to get to the bottom to see what setup he's using (are those Icelantics?)
    Finn- oh man he had me hooting and hollering in my living room. I could never get to that level in multiple lifetimes but at last there's somebody really committing to the freestyle approach and I feel "represented". I know it's not people's cup of tea over here but perfectly composed cliff drops, styled-out airs, a nosebutter at full speed, a full sw 1 with a full switch inrun-takeoff, a hand drag 3. That is miles above the shitty run of the mill stuff you had in the past and it does take the sport forward, forward in a healthier and more mature way than adding an extra backflip (sorry Chabloz, great run but it's just taste/subjectivity). Style is and should remain important.

You do see how these new kids maybe do scale down the speed and overall aggressiveness but are so fuckin composed in the air, each cliff Goguen hit had a perfectly styled out shifty, those wimpy muscle spasms we used to see hopefully will be gone with time. If you wanna hit it fast and directional just stay composed, if you have to shifty then poke it tf out, that's how i see it at least.

Justine Dufour and Molly Armanino are top notch, filling the space that Lizzie G is leaving. I sure hope she picks up points in the next ones, she must have been jinxed by me buying the bib with her name last month (and feeling like burning it once i heard about the FIS takeover).
    We are old around here. I totally agree though, it's a better direction for these comps than balls out danger skiing.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

My big question of the day is: what happened to the FWT/IFSA joint rule that you couldn't compete as a junior and an adult in the same season? This rule kept Thing #2 from going to junior world championships the year he qualified because he wanted to ski in adult qualifiers the following season.
    Wouldn't it just be because Goguen was in on a wildcard? I kinda just assumed a wildcard meant that they could let whoever they wanted in, regardless of other competitive results (since there are plenty of guys they let in on a wildcard that aren't eligible to compete based on any kind of results).

But I dunno - just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    We are old around here. I totally agree though, it's a better direction for these comps than balls out danger skiing.

i'm not that young either, i just think it's taste. And i kinda feel like it would be cool if that retro Heitz-esque pedal-to-the-metal style came back to the Tour. The only reason I think it's faded away a bit is that it hardly ever pays off, so many good aggressive runs got underscored over the years. It surely depends on venue and conditions.

I would love to have the most diverse range of styles on the tour, regardless of who wins/scores more.

I dont know any of the rules. Marcus can sure light it up. Lots of crazy good skiing from him tge last couple years. I think he comes by it honest. Pretty sure Thomas Grandi is his uncle also Rossi athlete and one of the best

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

You kinda missed my point. No shade being thrown on anyone but the FWT show runners who consistently operate in their own interests in spite of rules (criteria?). While they get to do that because it's their business, operating in that way damages credibility over the whole scope.
    I just don’t know enough about the rules.

But I do see the judges box in “talking” while scoring. I see Lolo breathing down everyone’s back.

/shrug. They’re putting in a hell of a show. And while I generally don’t debate judging, the top three are usually in the right place.

FIS might change this, though. I don’t know if that’s appealing or not.

Vale and Max utube vlog.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Js5mF2YMZo

English subs are good.
    Funny how easy they are!

Subbing to that for sure. Rippers. Young gun level is so high this yr

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Ralph Welponer is not very good.

Maxime wins for sure without that backslap, right?

Bilous had the best freestyle run ever.

Mumma has the best turns in the field.

Sickbird = Jack Nicols
    Last edited by Dantheman; 02-03-2023 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Maxime wins for sure without that backslap, right?
    I don't think so. I'm probably naive but I still don't think the judges will allow a strictly freestyle run to win. I feel he was overscored but also the judges left plenty of room for someone like Palm to push him off the podium.
    The announcers weren't even the slightest bit excited about his cork 7, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I don't think so. I'm probably naive but I still don't think the judges will allow a strictly freestyle run to win. I feel he was overscored but also the judges left plenty of room for someone like Palm to push him off the podium.
    The announcers weren't even the slightest bit excited about his cork 7, as it should be.
    Maxime's line was really built around the wind lip stepup near the beginning, which was one of the more high speed, committed lines in the event. It didn't look like that much with the camera angle they had on it, but that thing looked scary as hell last year.

The rest of his run was just icing on the cake. I think he was underscored, if anything. But he was never gonna win with his backslap.

I certainly wouldn't call his line "strictly freestyle." That stepup is pure charge. It was basically the exact same line he won it with last year except he upped the tricks from a backflip and a 360 to a 720 and a dub, both perfectly executed. No backslap and I bet that scores 93-94.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 02-04-2023 at 08:09 AM.

The step up was nice, but no exposure, and after that he skied down the ridge basically outside the venue until he reentered off a wind lip into a powder field (he was sat down a bit on that one too) and then he traversed to his next freestyle move. Everything between the blue dots was freestyle only.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5977.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	680.7 KB 
ID:	446075

^was a cool run...easy to play armchair quaterback and say his speed was not up to par, but it looked like smart skiing, and a well planned run. Quite a few top skiers got bucked by the snow and lost points.

Either way the comp was really fun to watch...the view of them from the top dropping in looked steep enough to make my palms sweaty from my comfy chair at home.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Wouldn't it just be because Goguen was in on a wildcard? I kinda just assumed a wildcard meant that they could let whoever they wanted in, regardless of other competitive results (since there are plenty of guys they let in on a wildcard that aren't eligible to compete based on any kind of results).

But I dunno - just speculating.
    Could be! The jump from juniors to adults has aways been a pretty firm thing rules wise and was a joint rule between FWT and IFSA. Thing 2 opted out of junior worlds in spite of qualifying (which was very difficult decision to make!) so he could compete as an adult, Thing 3 went to junior worlds because he knew he wasn't going to compete as an adult.

The funny thing about the rule was that junior worlds was not even in the same calendar ski season in which they qualify. They still wouldn't let Thing #2 do both.

Your wildcard theory holds water. I guess I'm just advocating to the same rules for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Your wildcard theory holds water. I guess I'm just advocating to the same rules for everyone.
    Yeah, the whole wildcard thing seems like a thorny issue for about a hundred different reasons. I'm kinda surprised they use the wildcards so frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sickbird = Jack Nicols
    The long transfer was so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, the whole wildcard thing seems like a thorny issue for about a hundred different reasons. I'm kinda surprised they use the wildcards so frequently.
    That Ralph Welponer guy is a wildcard and is frankly embarrassing himself.