Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2058
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    This is just stupid.

As an extreme example, do you see any difference between Jamie Pierre and Chris Davenport?

Both are/were big mountain skiers who accomplished incredible things and were able to make a living off of the sport...One of them I see as a fantastic ambassador for our sport and role model for my kids. The other, not so much.
    Refer to Charles Barkley if you want to talk about athletes being roles models. These guys are trying to win a ski competition where difficulty of line is a major component of the score, and pretty much the goal.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    You mean the same Reine who also crashed and hit his head on a rock?

Here is the Dr. Gaffney you're talking about.

Some real nice stomps in there even by modern standards let alone late '90s standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Refer to Charles Barkley if you want to talk about athletes being roles models. These guys are trying to win a ski competition where difficulty of line is a major component of the score, and pretty much the goal.
    Also, let's keep in mind that Jamie died skiing a fairly mellow line during an early season ski tour.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    wow the discussion is on. and yes, this is hard to channel.
    many times before it was pointed out that malakov´s style was not very sustainable.

the fwt gave aymar and reine a wildcard for one reason.

reines 3 was stupid too, he was lucky, but he did not look confident like spinning it.
    it looked to me like a 3 in an olympic mogul competition in the 90´s.
    Back when we called them helicopters instead of 360s.

But were Turdell's and Regner-Eriksson's 3s also stupid? Cause they were in the same place and Eriksson ended up on the podium. Turdell may have if he didn't fall further down.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Also, let's keep in mind that Jamie died skiing a fairly mellow line during an early season ski tour.
    He's also the originator of skiing switch to the road. There will be no Jaime Pierre blasphemy around here!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

There’s a good conversation here amidst the intermittent trolling. I don’t claim to have the answers

I’m a 25 year full time ski and bike patroller. I’m the first one to sign up to work these big ski and bike events. I wish we still hosted these big time ski events at my mountain. I’ve also worked a lot of Crankworx slope style events. I love seeing the kids push the limits. Carnage is part of the game. No doubt. I’m happy to be part of the team on standby. I’ll cheer loud when they stomp and roll in to pick up the pieces when they don’t.

The question is where is the line? I think the current judging criteria does a good job. You must stomp your airs. Back slaps or wheelie bars are generally heavily deducted, which I think is totally appropriate. I’d be happy to patrol this event in its current format

Edit for grammar
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 03-28-2022 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    He's also the originator of skiing switch to the road. There will be no Jaime Pierre blasphemy around here!
    He had also stepped away from the huge risks he took earlier in his career. And i didn't remember this detail but he was snowboarding when he died.
    https://archive.sltrib.com/article.p...97&itype=CMSID

Finally got a chance to watch the comp. Not the best Bec Des Rosses comp I've seen, but still some great skiing to watch.

The whole debate about Aymar is dumb. Aymar did what Aymar does. He does it on the FWT, he does it on his insta feed, and I'd bet a handful of nickels that he does it when no one's watching. Glad he came away from this one more or less alright.

Was his line a rationale and conservative choice given the conditions? No. Of course not. I can't think of a single memorable FWT line that was the rationale, conservative choice. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. No one remembers the guy that hits the same 5 airs as 70% of the field and throws a slightly cleaner 360.

Been wondering but want to put no effort into the answer:
    Is this year the lowest tide for the comp on the Bec?
    If not its gotta be close.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    To get this thread back to the common ground of gear whoring:
    Interesting ski choice by Ross Tester. Either a Katana 108 mounted like +10 from recommended or the new Revolt 11x???
    I zoomed in a pic from kickinghorse? And could barely read Katana 108.

Just finished watching-Great skiing on tough conditions! Kudos to all!

As far as Navarro- no need to judge, guy tees up a world champ line with a clean run out in the event he fell...unfortunately he fell and in the fall veered off course and clipped some rocks but his line and consequences were clearly calculated! Navarro is doing good and vowing to be back next season stronger!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/unoffici...er-xtreme/amp/

Freeride World Tour

Clean runout? Lol… what? Hey he went for it and good for him if that’s his level of risk, but let’s not bullshit about it.

Clean runout? Lol… what? Hey he went for it and good for him if that’s his level of risk, but let’s not bullshit about it.
    From Navarro’s previous history same risk as the Spain event...hero or zero but low risk of likely being dead.

As clean as it gets on the bec

Wasn’t death defying exposure..he knew he was getting thru the 3rd air no matter the situation with the right trajectory...

But opinions are like assholes we all have them including myself...

You said clean runout. That was not a clean runout by any measure.
    It was by his (Aymar's) measure. Aymars lines are straightlines pure and simple. You can see him pause before dropping in to each one to make he has it lined up. This one involved one slight right that also followed the fall line (which is the definition of 'thats the way you should fall'). As teamdirt said he veered a little skiers left during the fall which is why he glanced the wall. I said the exact same thing 2 days ago
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Navarro totally knows what he is doing. That's why he is still alive. The lines he is taking are super scary and intense but are designed for clean straightlines out, which in general means clean falls out. This fall he spun to skiers left and hit the right facing wall of the big rock which fortunately was a glancing blow and then he had a clean line down (during which he seemed unconscious, anybody could do that)
    His line
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aymar.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	411307
    Last edited by powdork; 03-29-2022 at 09:17 AM.

I remember when Aymar would do regular lines with something crazy thrown into them. I think over the last two seasons he's been looking for lines that suit the image people have of him now. How many of you knew he's doing first descents and historical repeats of some of the finer lines in his (our) region of the Pyrenees?

Talking to friends/ski buddies (some of which know Aymar personally), we mostly agree he should stop competing. He's been saying it in interviews for the last two seasons already, he has nothing left to prove. In his free time he goes to the gym, bikes and runs through his home mountains to keep fit. But what he's mostly doing is pushing it with steep skiing. Sure he's dropping some cliffs at Baqueira, but not any more than the rest of the locals -Abel was actually the one dropping the biggest inbounds cliffs recently-.

Personally, I hope he just keeps doing steep skiing. No need to go Tof or Heitz style either, jump turns are just as nice if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Been wondering but want to put no effort into the answer:
    Is this year the lowest tide for the comp on the Bec?
    If not its gotta be close.
    Lowest I can remember.

Here’s the stats for the last 30 years in the nearby Lac des Vaux measuring station and it’s close to the historical low

Name:	IMG_3708.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	511.4 KB 
ID:	411268

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

oh my, lots of posts since I last checked in.

For reference: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbnaRRdo...dium=copy_link

He basically said what some of us have been saying - too difficult to check your speed in those conditions.
    I'll post this in full - I came back here to post it as I found it to be really well thought out and a good approach to skiing in general, especially to racing. # racecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Reine Barkered on IntaJWell that didn't exactly go according to plan and i ended up with a tumble after trying to stick with the times 😁

However that was not the plan, I had a pretty big line that really suits me and I came in to the comp with confidence that I could pull it off (I've landed it before) However, when reaching the start ridge I saw that the snow condition and take off on my big top air was under the limit on what is acceptable for a air of that size with serious exposure under if you would fall.
    There where also big question marks on the ability to slow down under that air in these conditions.
    ➡️check out pic 4 for the lines⬅️

There are days to send it, when the conditions are right and the risk reward scale tipping on the right side. This was not one off those days, even if I felt pretty confident that I could land it, the odds on getting seriously hurt or worse was to high.

I was however already prepared that this could be the situation so I had scoped a plan B, but maybe not as well as I should as I was so committed in the morning of my A line.
    So it got semi improvised, especially the 360 😁 I was thinking that it would be a really short one so it wouldn't put me over the cliffs that I ended up hitting so that was not the best idea. Turdells backflip was the next move.

Now after the fact, I'm really pleased that I skipped the A line, the snow was extremely difficult even though I noticed that you couldn't really see that on the live feed. Very variable and hard to read with some good patches mixed with breakable crust and cold sugar. Very easy to go over the bars. But that's not why I fell, I just suck suck at 360😂

Anyway, I had a blast joining my friends for the [URL="https://www.instagram.com/freerideworldtour/"
    @freerideworldtour[/URL] Xtreme Verbier and congratulations to all the winners and participants alike, just to stand in the start gate is a battle of its own and anyone that goes through that deserves one thousand high fives 🙌🙌

Until next time! 👊

Name:	Skjermbilde 2022-03-29 kl. 13.09.47.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	411270

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Interesting ski choice by Ross Tester. Either a Katana 108 mounted like +10 from recommended or the new Revolt 11x???
    He is on K108s, doing stuff on them that he has no business doing on them. Like 3ing off massive cliffs. Super impressive skiing imho.

Though, to be fair - it is equally impressive how hard the Völkl athletes ski R121s imho

I am not sure how far forward he is, though he seems to be + a fair bit re the second photo.

Name:	Skjermbilde 2022-03-29 kl. 13.25.31.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	372.9 KB 
ID:	411282

Name:	FWT22_VERBIER_JBERNARD_Tester.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	411283

I've been meaning to ask FWT to do some athlete gear profiles where the diferrent pros can list their height/weight, what skis they are on (length, mount point) and so on, but haven't gotten around to it. One would think that the sponsors would approve, and the gear sleuth in me would love to get more info on specific setups.

Freeride World Tour

Honestly I kinda like the mystery. I don’t know if I would like a full breakdown of all athletes’ gear and mounts. I would hate for this level of competition to become any more focused on gear.

I like that we study athlete and style more than the secret gear.

Maybe it’s all the same thing.

/I am captain ArmchairQuarterback and King of Hypocrisy.

AKA- I’m really happy that we talk about athletes more than we talk about skis.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    AKA- I’m really happy that we talk about athletes more than we talk about skis.
    yeah, the setup talk is more for tech talk than the comp thread, but then again - there is only so much to say about any given run or judging calamity.

I think that merging the setups from the pros with marketing speak / designer inputs and mags experiences could yield some interesting insights. Then again all the pros could have + mounts that the companies do not want most people to be on - cue one million fan boys mounting stuff all over the place without any understanding what the mount will do to how the ski skis - so perhaps it is a can of worms they prefer for them not to open. But skier height and ski lenght would be interesting.

I found out this morning that Snowbird local Dillon Flinders won the Kirkwood FWQ 4* and qualified for the FWT next season. So stoked! Dillon's IG is bananas. Look out Maxime!

We have some more Squaw / North Tahoe representation next year as well, with Jed Kravitz qualifying.

We have some more Squaw / North Tahoe representation next year as well, with Jed Kravitz qualifying.
    He's no spring chicken, right? I think i used to see him on the NS forums back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    He's no spring chicken, right? I think i used to see him on the NS forums back in the day.
    I don’t really know him but we have some mutual friends and I’ve seen him skiing the resort. Yeah he’s been around the block, not sure how old he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I found out this morning that Snowbird local Dillon Flinders won the Kirkwood FWQ 4* and qualified for the FWT next season. So stoked! Dillon's IG is bananas. Look out Maxime!
    I was wondering where he was from. There were more than a few previous tour riders on there. Hope there's some vids but haven't checked since this morning.

Also Xander Guldman (formerly Sugar Bowl Academy). Super nice guy, great skier, stoked to see him make it.