Page 57 of 83 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2070

Freeride World Tour

It’s crazy how Pehota’s line was a mind-blowing, winning run several years ago… and now it probably would be top 5-10 since it doesn’t include a backflip…

I skied the Ozone face last spring in haggard conditions, and damn it was a humbling experience.

As an aside, I believe one of the announcers (Foose) on the FWT podcast alluded to the lack of grit and attitude on the tour these days.. he obviously didn’t want to get into the topic with host Mark Warner.

I can certainly sympathize with losing a friend in a slide, and shedding a tear is human nature.

However, in a move that no doubt showcases my poor taste and inflammatory Internet forum behavior, I think these kids are a going soft, and the copious hugs and flashing all these “heart shaped” hand signs at the finish corral is a goddamn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    However, in a move that no doubt showcases my poor taste and inflammatory Internet forum behavior, I think these kids are a going soft, and the copious hugs and flashing all these “heart shaped” hand signs at the finish corral is a goddamn shame.
    I can't tell if you're serious; but if so, "okay, Boomer". The fact that there are so many competitors supporting each other to up their game is one of the biggest reason we're seeing the insane progression you allude to in your post.

As I said before, I actually really liked Finn's line.

I particularly liked the first, technical section. I also liked his tricks. I would have preferred the rest of his line to be a bit rowdier, less trick oriented.

If you could meld Barkered's line and Finn's, the technical early section of Finn's maybe a couple of his tricks, but then railing turns and dropping cliffs like Barkered, that would be really fun.

I loved Finn's line, but I wouldn't say he should have won. It was cool to watch though. He didn't tear the venue apart the way Ross did from my perspective.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by HalfNelson99 View Post
    I can't tell if you're serious; but if so, "okay, Boomer". The fact that there are so many competitors supporting each other to up their game is one of the biggest reason we're seeing the insane progression you allude to in your post.
    But… is it progression, or just pandering to corporate interests and a judging style that has been decided by a quasi-governmental committee recently sold to the FIS?

Instagrammable content snippets

Lifestyle sponsors

Mandatory Backflips for the win

And yet… women’s snowboarding is still unwatchable

These kids are so fun and impressive to watch, no matter who wins. At some point I thought Ross tester was above and beyond anyone - and a few comps later we have a bunch of Maxs doing even better or just as good, it's crazy. I'm just blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    As I said before, I actually really liked Finn's line.

I particularly liked the first, technical section. I also liked his tricks. I would have preferred the rest of his line to be a bit rowdier, less trick oriented.

If you could meld Barkered's line and Finn's, the technical early section of Finn's maybe a couple of his tricks, but then railing turns and dropping cliffs like Barkered, that would be really fun.

I loved Finn's line, but I wouldn't say he should have won. It was cool to watch though. He didn't tear the venue apart the way Ross did from my perspective.
    Sounds like you're talking about Hank, Finn's brother.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about Hank, Finn's brother.
    Hank's run in Japan a couple years ago was super entertaining to watch. Flung cat for the win. (edit: starts at 1:04:30-ish. My attempts at making the video start in the right spot appear to have failed)

It’s not exactly my cup of tea but Finn (and his bro) bring something different to the table which is great as far as I am concerned. They seem perpetually stoked which is pretty cool as well.

Re: Pehota at Kicking Horse … “He goes big!!! Holy macaroni!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    These kids are so fun and impressive to watch, no matter who wins. At some point I thought Ross tester was above and beyond anyone - and a few comps later we have a bunch of Maxs doing even better or just as good, it's crazy. I'm just blown away.
    I know what you mean. First it was Markus Eder, then Tester arrived with a bang, then Max Palm and Maxime Chabloz. And this Whistler 18yo looks crazy good too. And you’ve still got a 40yo Reine Barkered holding his own. This is the beauty of the FWT.

Yeah, that's why I don't try to debate judging. It's all fun to watch. I love the camaraderie, the families, the work everyone puts in to pull it off. And then it's all live-streamed in HD on my huge flat screen via my phone & apple TV. It's nuts. And then we have commentators who have invested research into the athletes.

No other sport is on par with FWT. That's the most mind-blowing thing of all. So much volume yet so little recognition. And they're in the middle of fucking nowhere... streaming.

My family understands when it's event day. Those European events line up live with my cooking dinner time in Japan. All other events get a delayed play, but my family knows that on Event day, I'm cooking, the TV is blaring, and we're all tuned in watching.

I don't do that with any other sport. Not even any other discipline of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    The best venue they had in North America was the backside of Revelstoke. That face has good vert and a good variety of features.

Sick line, but such conditions were/are rare. Beyond the economics, the weather/visibility in the snowiest parts of BC can be a nightmare for scheduling comps. We just don’t necessarily have the pattern of intense storms followed by extended periods of stable weather with good visibility more common in other places. When the jet stream is lined up, it’ll often just snow a little everyday and remain socked in for weeks.
    This, and that resorts were located as amenities for communities, in the foothills rather than the big mountains, so we don’t have lifts in the heart of the mountains (and access to huge faces) as is the case in the Alps.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    No other sport is on par with FWT. That's the most mind-blowing thing of all. So much volume yet so little recognition. And they're in the middle of fucking nowhere... streaming.
    I don't know about "no other sport" but I will say FWT is highly underrated. I've turned a few people on to it in recent years and they were like, "This is awesome, how have I never even heard of this?"
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    As an aside, I believe one of the announcers (Foose) on the FWT podcast alluded to the lack of grit and attitude on the tour these days.. he obviously didn’t want to get into the topic with host Mark Warner.

I can certainly sympathize with losing a friend in a slide, and shedding a tear is human nature.

Nah fuck that. Grit and attitude is throwing down a badass run the day after your friend dies and facing your feelings. Not hiding them like some caricature of a ‘strong and silent’ macho cowboy hardman from an old western film.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkleberryFinn View Post
    Nah fuck that. Grit and attitude is throwing down a badass run the day after your friend dies and facing your feelings. Not hiding them like some caricature of a ‘strong and silent’ macho cowboy hardman from an old western film.
    So tanner is really dead?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    So tanner is really dead?
    Yeah but he’s still got like 3 lives left so it’s ok

I can only imagine what the top riders would be doing on a revy event now. Perfect terrian for them. Revy just need go put some more lifts in to get the public on it . That might give them a little leeway for stability to have a better chance to not have the event cancelled

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I can only imagine what the top riders would be doing on a revy event now. Perfect terrian for them. Revy just need go put some more lifts in to get the public on it . That might give them a little leeway for stability to have a better chance to not have the event cancelled

The venue slid in Revy because it was pissing rain and super warm. I don’t see skier traffic solving that necessarily. Also, funding is the big hurdle for hosting the FWT. We will see though..

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    The venue slid in Revy because it was pissing rain and super warm. I don’t see skier traffic solving that necessarily. Also, funding is the big hurdle for hosting the FWT. We will see though..
    I wasnt refering go that specific day it was cancelled. Overall skier compaction would help. Golden sees its worth. Gets their name out there for a few years

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CogLu...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Marcus Goguen in the Whistler slackcountry

Major deduction for back slappage.

......... The 'running man' is not a trick that scores well.
    i stand corrected
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IhntdhDHsTk
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cobi8...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I guess that is cool new way to hit it?

Took a lap with Pollard and Moga today. They said conditions look like shit for the next comp. Also the conditions in Spain/Andorra were generally scary as the thin covering of new snow over a really thin snowpack had riders worried about what was lingering underneath. Both are close to the cut line and were apprehensive about having to score well to make the cut in what looks like will be subpar conditions. I’ve know Pollard since he was a little grom and he’s always who I’m cheering for. I’ve been a fan of Moga’s style and after meeting him today, I’m a big fan, super nice kid and watching him ski in person he’s strong and smooth. Hope they both make the cut

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Anyone else nauseated by the drone cam? I admittedly have been ruined by teacup rides and the like but I absolutely cannot watch the drone footage. When the drone follows the riders it's fine, but they always want to spin around and give the same view as the chopper.

Travis Rice had it right with his vision for Natural Selection. Video Game-like follow cam also shows the rider's perspective better.

Watch the Red Bull Kings and Queens for an alternative type of production value