Page 25 of 83 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Part of the story telling is getting people to relate. Instead of Sniper Landing when the land on the rock with one of two skis, say, man, you can be off by a millimeter and it can make a bad day, glad they skied away from that.
    An excellent point! (I'm totally stealing this line for the next comp). Thanks gr

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    I do a bit of announcing for junior freeride comps around here.

It’s a tough balance for the announcers to keep the viewers informed, hype all the riders up, and find the line between calling the run in a generally positive manner but also “keeping it real”.

The viewers can see when someone takes a conservative line, blows a turn, eats shit, etc. The announcer doesn’t need to bury the athletes at the same time.

For the top riders who throw down and stand out it’s easy to call. Everyone watching can see they’re killing it. The stoke is real. For the middle of the pack and lower riders, it’s can be hard to call. After 20-30 athletes drop the same 10 foot cliff, it’s tough to find new ways to talk about it

“Jimmy Smith is slowly skiing around the big airs, taking the easy way down. That was likely a bottom 5 run.” is never appropriate for the announcer to say, even if it’s true and everyone knows it.

Definitely in the junior comps we hype the kids up regardless of how they’re doing because you’d have to be a heartless prick to blow the kids up on the mic.

But I’d say even in the top level comps the announcer is trying to be a hype man at the same time as calling the action. Maybe there’s a portion of the viewers that would prefer brutally honest commentary without the fluff but that’s generally not what the sponsors/organizers want. It’s a bit of a buzz kill to the event if the announcer is being a downer and crushing the athletes on the mic.

Plus on the FWT, the announcers are on the road with the athletes, probably friends with most of them, skiing with them and likely staying in the same hotels. I don’t think the announcers would last long if they aren’t hyping up everyone.
    Trying to announce the mild run…seems like the trick of the trade there is having a few preconceived sidebars in your pocket…talk about the skier (not the run they’re taking), talk about the venue, equipment, history of the event, whatever…while the unimpressive run is going on, working in observations here and there as it unfolds.
    Easier said than done, I guess.

….and it looks like ias is bringing this post to an end, a longtime poster here, posting out of Utah for many years and known as the inventor of The Ogden, always a crowd favorite going back to his days as the yetiman….great to see him back on tour, putting some posts up with that distinctive Lake Superior avatar…as he wheels it through the end of this final paragraph looking relieved… with the season he’s had I think he’ll be pleased to just get this one posted up without any injuries, Clownshoe

Also, for whatever it’s worth, I find this pairing of Derek Foose and Anna Smoothy almost perfect. They’re as good (for my taste, I guess) as Frankie and Dak, and after the last few years I didn’t think that was possible.

And I miss Tabke…you always knew he would have an interesting take on any venue.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    ….and it looks like ias is bringing this post to an end, a longtime poster here, posting out of Utah for many years and known as the inventor of The Ogden, always a crowd favorite going back to his days as the yetiman….great to see him back on tour, putting some posts up with that distinctive Lake Superior avatar…as he wheels it through the end of this final paragraph looking relieved… with the season he’s had I think he’ll be pleased to just get this one posted up without any injuries, Clownshoe
    Stuff like this is why I love this board.

My wife is in the other room asking me "What are you laughing at in there?"

Trying to announce the mild run…seems like the trick of the trade there is having a few preconceived sidebars in your pocket…talk about the skier (not the run they’re taking), talk about the venue, equipment, history of the event, whatever…while the unimpressive run is going on, working in observations here and there as it unfolds.
    Easier said than done, I guess.

🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The winning run...

Im always amazed how they know where they are...
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

That blind takeoff backflip is incredible. Just throwing that after a visual inspection having never hit it before. What the fuck…bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Im always amazed how they know where they are...
    They had walked all up and down that ridge. The footsteps going up to where he dropped the backflip were most likely his. For Chabloz the bottom 3 was the only air that he couldn't know exactly where his landing was going to be and it looked pretty simple from that standpoint
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Getting to be tiresome, Bunny.

Pretty sure Chicherit had some pretty positive comments about the comp scene there.
    I thought I'd establish a running gag for 21/22. I'll stop

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I thought I'd establish a running gag for 21/22. I'll stop
    I like the constant comparison to what is obviously the gold standard of freeride venues...mammoth

Anyone on the ground in Kicking Horse have any guesses what day the comp is going to run? I’m thinking about making the road trip if it lines up with my days off.

I don't think Kicking Horse is supposed to happen until Feb 10th at the earliest, but I could be wrong. Thought I had heard or read the window was Feb 10 - 15.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Anyone on the ground in Kicking Horse have any guesses what day the comp is going to run? I’m thinking about making the road trip if it lines up with my days off.
    All the signs say Feb 12 with KH website 12-17 so earliest 12th but not sure if 12th is setup etc , I can ask if I run into the right person
    Last edited by DougW; 02-03-2022 at 06:33 AM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Hot lineup for the Nendaz invitational on Saturday - Eder vs Chabloz vs Remco Kayser should be a treat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0940.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	654.1 KB 
ID:	404281

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Freeride World Tour

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0940.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	654.1 KB 
ID:	404282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0938.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	548.0 KB 
ID:	404283  
    Last edited by bobinch; 02-03-2022 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Delete

is that going to be shown live?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    I like the constant comparison to what is obviously the gold standard of freeride venues...mammoth
    I'm slowly catching on to this but curious if there's a conversion chart for Ogdens and free ride venues? It would really help clear thing up for me.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

From KH FB post
    Ozone is looking prime and just in time for the Freeride World Tour. T-minus 7 days ��
    Weather window February 12-17.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Thanks Doug!

detailed from KH

The competition is scheduled for February 12 with an additional weather window from February 13-17. The competition will be live broadcasted here.

https://www.freerideworldtour.com/?u...eid=a765c7c644

(So long as the weather is good the 12th is the date.)

Do have some discount tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I'm slowly catching on to this but curious if there's a conversion chart for Ogdens and free ride venues? It would really help clear thing up for me.
    Difficult. Mammoth is so far ahead regarding most things that it's hard to compare it to anything.

It's its own category.

The key to a good reoccurring joke is it’s actually supposed to be funny. But you do you and keep on beating that dead straw man.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The key to a good reoccurring joke is it’s actually supposed to be funny. But you do you and keep on beating that dead straw man.
    Totally agree. PD made a comment years ago that SP didn’t get or doesn’t get. I’m guessing SP has never stood in the Owens Valley and realized that us California flatlanders have huge mountains within a 3 hour drive, with snow, from any corner of the state,

Quote Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
    Totally agree. PD made a comment years ago that SP didn’t get or doesn’t get. I’m guessing SP has never stood in the Owens Valley and realized that us California flatlanders have huge mountains within a 3 hour drive, with snow, from any corner of the state,
    Big sur.

Woah. This is getting out of hand. I'm passing the torch to total immortal. But One day I'm going to stand in the owens valley and tell my son: someday, this California resort will all be yours!

P.s. Judging from powdorks comments in the tahoe thread I'm not 100% convinced that it's me that doesn't get things