Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2058
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    There is zero... and I mean zero... chance the IOC would base their location decision for an entire Olympics based on the venue being appropriate for Freeride skiing.
    Heh. I liked his enthusiastic naivité about that.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 01-29-2023 at 12:36 PM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Palm's run was impressive. He was one of the very few that both skied a rowdy line and also made it look easy. And Mandin was a solid 2nd place. Looking forward to watching him this season.

Thought moga should've scored a little higher. His line was gnarly. And thought Xander Guldman and Valentin Rainer were significantly underscored. Those guys should've been in the top 10. They did a better job at working the terrain than most of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Really like Palms’ poppy style, especially that bounce turn landing in the coolie.
    Palm's bounce turn was so cool.

Entertaining competition overall. The crowd reactions added a lot to the event.

I wish runs like Moga’s were rewarded more on the score sheet.

Just got done watching the show. Moga’s run was so much better any other run. Not even close. The front flip was nothing, the air before was next level one of the best airs I’ve seen in competition in a long time. Has FIS already ruined freeride?

Max hitzig starting for germany this year. Funny how one can change his nationality from one year to the next : )
    But the fwt needs a german rider, important for engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Just got done watching the show. Moga’s run was so much better any other run. Not even close. The front flip was nothing, the air before was next level one of the best airs I’ve seen in competition in a long time. Has FIS already ruined freeride?
    Are you drunk? You talk like you've been watching for a while but have zero idea how scoring works or what constitues a good air. It wasn't fluid leading up to it. It wasn't that large. It was a backslap leading to an automatic deduction. same with the frontflip.

The drone follow shot of the air is at 2:00. The 'running man' is not a trick that scores well.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by twat View Post
    Max hitzig starting for germany this year. Funny how one can change his nationality from one year to the next : )
    But the fwt needs a german rider, important for engagement.
    Max Hitzig is German by nationality living in Austria. He has also a German pass. No way he could start under FIS regulations for Austria.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Are you drunk? You talk like you've been watching for a while but have zero idea how scoring works or what constitues a good air. It wasn't fluid leading up to it. It wasn't that large. It was a backslap leading to an automatic deduction. same with the frontflip.
    The drone follow shot of the air is at 2:00. The 'running man' is not a trick that scores well.
    Ha, ha, thought exactly the same. Drunk or stoned. Moga had significant control and fluidity issues as well as two backslap landings (two out of three). No way such run gonna podium him. Placing him under the first 10 in this stacked field was probably more of a courtesy to local spectators from the judges anyway.
    Otherwise really impressive performance on this short face down to place 15 or so. As always some guys got underscored (Rainer), some guys got overscored (Moga). I'm really looking forward what we gonna see on a proper face like in Fieberbrunn or Verbier. To bad no more Alaska or Chamonix. I was watching recently by accident the replay of the last Alaska event in a bar - what an epic venue where the athletes actually did some real nice looking powder skiing between their hits.

I really liked the creativity of the two Spanish lines. I'm guessing that's mostly a home court thing, but still. Like someone said above, it got old seeing folks trick the same wind lip to flat.

Is it me or do the judges really seem to reward/weight the trick elements WAY too much.
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

For my taste I think they're over scoring freestyle moves.
    It kind of reminds me of Red Bull Rampage where the only way to win is with big freestyle tricks with less emphasis on the actual skiing.
    I do like that the judges are being harsh on non-stomped landings.
    But I'm an old man so what do I know about what the kids like these days.

I personally enjoyed watching Mumma's line the most and think he should have won.

True freeride run. I am bummed that lesser lines score higher because of 3's and backflips. Go watch a freestyle or big air competition if that is what you want to see.

It is a strange dichotomy. Because then when Finn did by far the hardest “freestyle” move, a 540 into what was essentially a pepper field they had him way down. Where if you had a 3 and a backflip they rewarded the hell out of it.
    I too think the pure freeride is under valued but if you are going to reward tricks at least understand when something is an order of magnitude more difficult than anything else done.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Freeride World Tour

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    I personally enjoyed watching Mumma's line the most and think he should have won.

True freeride run. I am bummed that lesser lines score higher because of 3's and backflips. Go watch a freestyle or big air competition if that is what you want to see.
    I’m 100% with you on Mumma’s pure ripping being the most impressive. To me, most flippy spinny shit is just showboating, that can add “style” to otherwise similar runs, but it’s become the core what’s being judged. What next, perhaps advanced pole juggling or ski ballet moves would also add a very technical element? Since abandoning the line score limitation FWT judging has become impossibly subjective. Still a great spectacle.

I think the venue and conditions vastly underperformed the talent in the field. pretty meh competition.

those were some shark infested waters.

I'm of the school that you ski a freeride line and try to lace in tricks, vs trying to find the most hits you can 3 and backie off of, but I'm old, bald and grey.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    For my taste I think they're over scoring freestyle moves.
    It kind of reminds me of Red Bull Rampage where the only way to win is with big freestyle tricks with less emphasis on the actual skiing.
    I do like that the judges are being harsh on non-stomped landings.
    But I'm an old man so what do I know about what the kids like these days.
    I sort of agree, but I also appreciate the guys that ski the venue for what it is.

Like, Mumma had that burly double stage air, which was sick. But it was literally the only thing in his line. The venue was just too short to do anything else. And while he skied that line really well, it didn't seem like the best use of the venue. Same goes for Reine, Navarro, and some other guys that went for the more traditional big mountain lines. For this particular venue, I'd rather watch the guys that worked their way through and used the limited terrain to its fullest.

Contrast that with a venue like the bec where I'm not really interested at all in watching some freestyle kid dick around and spend 5 minutes picking his way down the slope doing small 3's on every little feature.

The best guys can do both and adjust their plan of attack for what the venue has to offer.

And on a totally unrelated note, this comp continues to drive the point home that the ski men are in a completely different ballpark than every other category of competitors. The winning men's snowboard line would've barely won the women's ski category. And the women snowboarders look like they're just trying to survive down the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Since abandoning the line score limitation FWT judging has become impossibly subjective. Still a great spectacle.
    I didn't realize this. This is the key driver in the way the competitions play out then.

I know IFSA still has a line score limitation. All other scores are directly related to line score.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I also appreciate the guys that ski the venue for what it is.
    This. Also shoutout to Molly Armanino from South Lake Tahoe going first out of the gate for women's ski at her first event and getting 2nd. She looked like she was about to puke but stuck a solid run.

the one damn thing i was hoping FIS could actually bring to the table was docking points for skid turns but as has been the trend we saw half the field skid their way down the hill at mach nil hitting the same 3 trick jumps
    so lame

bring back big mtn comp skiing please

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And on a totally unrelated note, this comp continues to drive the point home that the ski men are in a completely different ballpark than every other category of competitors. The winning men's snowboard line would've barely won the women's ski category. And the women snowboarders look like they're just trying to survive down the venue.
    Does FWT just not attract top-tier snowboarding talent like it does for skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Does FWT just not attract top-tier snowboarding talent like it does for skiing?
    Or, more provocative: is there top Tier freeriding Talent on a snowboard?
    Even in perfect ak pow in films they look in over their head a lot more often than Skiers. Speed, line choice, Washing out on their tails.... etc.

Maybe we're just too spoiled by the development in the male ski category. If I remember my first freeride vids from the late 90s on VHS and see the stuff in magic hour today, im like: "DAMN!!"

Snowboarders: not so much.

Semi on topic: I'd really like to see the female telemark category
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Rewatched both Palm and Mogas line and I’m sticking with my opinion. Moga’s line was way better, creative and charging and full freeride. Sure he back slapped but I still preferred it. Ad others have mentioned the judging criteria has changed and I’m more of a fan of Moga’s style. Apparently it’s like figure skating and he missed the required elements of throwing a little 3

For my money, I thought Mumma should have maybe scored higher, and had this venue offered him another feature to throw a 3 or backie then he might have gotten on the podium.

But Moga? I don't see it. 2/3 of his landings were on his butt/back. A LOT of skiers could hit those airs and backslap their way out of them. I think him doing that and still scoring as high as he did was pretty fair.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Or, more provocative: is there top Tier freeriding Talent on a snowboard?
    Even in perfect ak pow in films they look in over their head a lot more often than Skiers. Speed, line choice, Washing out on their tails.... etc.
    In their prime Xavier De Le Rue, Jeremey Jones, Terje, Tom Burt, Travis Rice, and others I am forgetting were all pretty top-tier IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Sure he back slapped but I still preferred it.
    Even with the best line of the comp you are never going to do better than mid-pack with a backslapped landing, period. Checking a box with a trick on a small feature isn't going to change that.