Page 38 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Freeride World Tour

I honestly think these events are damn fun to watch and there’s too much bitching in this thread. I showed my 13 year old daughter a few runs this afternoon and she was like “holy fuck” and then looked at me all guilty / embarrassed and I was like, no, that’s okay, I had the same reaction. But I really don’t want to see someone die, either. Has that happened since Flyin’ Ryan Hawks at Kirkwood back around 2010?

In the end who cares about the scores, enjoy the cool / crazy moments.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I honestly think these events are damn fun to watch and there’s too much bitching in this thread. I showed my 13 year old daughter a few runs this afternoon and she was like “holy fuck” and then looked at me all guilty / embarrassed and I was like, no, that’s okay, I had the same reaction. But I really don’t want to see someone die, either. Has that happened since Flyin’ Ryan Hawks at Kirkwood back around 2010?

In the end who cares bout the scores, enjoy the cool / crazy moments.
    ^^^^ Thank you

and to everyone saying that judges are over scoring freestyle and it's no longer a big mountain comp, my question is what else are the judges supposed to do. Dudes are charging, hucking huge cliffs, and pulling pulling off sick freestyle moves in exposure. What kind of 'big mountain skiing' is supposed to beat that?

I agree. This is what the comps are now. These kids are charging. I was amazed and inspired by what went down this year.

I just don’t to see someone maimed or killed.

I don't know jack sh*t about kiteboarding. Super cool concept and it looks totally sick. And now Chabloz is an FWT champ as well as a world class kiteboarder!!! Crazy. Kid is crazy talented.

I like how people don’t seem to understand risk when bringing up the kicking horse comp back when it happened and again now. Everyone equates risk with line score. Chabloz backflip through the trees with inches of margin of error was by far the riskiest single maneuver of that comp. Watch the go pro from his line that day. Inches to either side and his season was over and potentially more than that. Trees don’t move. Besides for watching someone pass away at one back in the day all the biggest injuries I saw at comps were from trees. Broken everything.

Glad aymar is ok and others stopped before they fell further. They need longer weather windows.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good day for Swiss freeriding (and Movement skis!). Groms are stoked!
    Name:  89a4be9c-d5fd-4ed6-ae48-f8669b0a2a74.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  227.2 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    But if Aymar had stomped that run I’d be here declaring him a ski god and calling it a 100 point run. Tough calls all around. I’m glad to be on the sidelines on this one.
    Me too. And I’d be a complete hypocrite in doing so given my previous comments in this thread about his line choice.

I think I was frustrated at him thinking that was possible. He’s injured and I have no desire to say anything about his risk assessment now. He obviously thought that was the thing to do.
    I hope he gets well and keeps at it.

I feel bad for him. That could have been worse. I’m sure he knows that.

And if Maxime had had a crash like that, I probably would have been angry at him, too.

/ArmchairQuarterbackMaster

I love navarros approach more than most, but the point is that you have to know what you're doing and nit just point it and pray.

Same reason I can't watch schirmer or Tof because so many people with that Chamitude have died. You can't ski everything at all speeds all the time.

Im not sure about that French youtube dude stepping down rocks in his vids because I don't know how close he is to slipping. So it could be he is in control.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

In the end who cares about the scores, enjoy the cool / crazy moments.
    Not that I'm aware of. I was doing press for that and have the burst mode of it. In that case noone really saw anyone die. He gave the thumbs up when he was taken away on the sled but died later (two days I think) in the hospital due to the internal injuries. Additonally it didn't look like a terribly bad crash. I'm fairly certain it was a case of fat skis, and a relatively flat landing (despite soft snow) sending his pelvis and/or femurs into his abdomen. Scary thing to think about.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I love navarros approach more than most, but the point is that you have to know what you're doing and nit just point it and pray.

Same reason I can't watch schirmer or Tof because so many people with that Chamitude have died. You can't ski everything at all speeds all the time.

Im not sure about that French youtube dude stepping down rocks in his vids because I don't know how close he is to slipping. So it could be he is in control.
    Navarro totally knows what he is doing. That's why he is still alive. The lines he is taking are super scary and intense but are designed for clean straightlines out, which in general means clean falls out. This fall he spun to skiers left and hit the right facing wall of the big rock which fortunately was a glancing blow and then he had a clean line down (during which he seemed unconscious, anybody could do that)

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Navarro totally knows what he is doing. That's why he is still alive.at)
    That is absolute nonsense. He is just lucky. Especially since you said "rocks are always there" and it's a big difference of you Hit it with your head or your skis.

That alive line of argument is even worse.

Tof and Tschirmer are also still alive, but they definitely don't "know what they're doing " in regard to reaching their 50th birthday.

If you're going to quote me using quotations, please cut and paste otherwise you just come off as a lying piece of Trump. Go fuck yourself

Tof and Schirmer could die tomorrow and still live twice the life you type.
    Last edited by powdork; 03-27-2022 at 02:45 AM.

You really don't get it. Alright. And Considering those rocks? Ahm what? So they can be hard without being there? Uh huh. And you can Hit them in good conditions as easily as in Bad conditions. ( to QUOTE your line of Argumentation). But it doesn't matter how you Hit them?
    Oh and I'll gladly fuck myself and surrender to your closing Statement of: But they live their lives so much so much fuller than you, so you are a wrong. And an asshole! And mammoth!
    Well ok. But I'm not an intellectual 4 year old. At least I got that going for me

Edit: nice, editing you post after I wrote the Response. Classy.

Spoiler: leaving out your childish mammoth tantrum doesn't make you Sound much more coherent.
    Maybe I should quote you next time, especially since you insist on it and then change your post. But I thought adults stand by the things they write.

You two are more wasted than me at this point. That's something considering how open I am about my alcoholism on this board.

Take a lap, boys. And then admit that this sport is completely out of control. And then there are half-a-dozen different dudes trying to take it to half-a-dozen different directions.

All of them are dreamers, too. And all of them have been pushing harder than you.

Pussy.

LMAO. FWT is about pushing the limits,,, they are not there to ski lines average humans think they can emulate.

And, if they are going to push their limits, this is the place to do it...a place where emergency personnel are there to help. If they did those 'crazy' lines solo in the backcountry >that would be reckless.

Carry on
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

This "sporting event" is fkn stupid. The second I saw the conditions I could barely even watch, just waiting for the inevitable car crash to happen. Introducing profit motive and competition to this activity is throwing gas on the fire. More deaths will happen and eventually sponsors will pull out. Free riding will be relegated back to far off mountains in good conditions by elite bands of soul skiers far away from cameras, money, and faux fame. As it was, is, and should have always been.

The ski industrial complex should promote carving instead of this dumb ass carcass hucking stupidity. The list of severally injured riders from this shit is horrifying. And for what? to promote brands, corporate ski hills, and red bull? While these riders faux "career" lasts months, pays nothing, and is more likely to kill you then provide any meaningful compensation. Fuck this stupid shit, a guy like Aymar is a junky and all this does is feed his addiction.

^^ A bit dramatic. All of these competitors are doing this and pushing harder because they love it. It's not like there's a wealth of riches at the end of the FWT rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    You two are more wasted than me at this point. That's something considering how open I am about my alcoholism on this board.
    lol... often the case when you see a late hours argument on TGR.

I get the email and try and watch the replays but the vid just keeps loading and never loads to play
    Anyone else get that result?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Guys, I want to point out that none of this freestyle vs. big mountain debate matters. What matters is that I won the Fun Bet league.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 9.46.08 AM.png
Views: 497
Size:  218.9 KB

Guys, I want to point out that none of this freestyle vs. big mountain debate matters. What matters is that I won the Fun Bet league.

Congratulations!

And don't think im really all that invested in the topic to be daydrinking

Professionals And amateurs can do everything they want. It's just that the people in control went onto the Podium whereas navarro went to the Hospital. Just saying.

That response was a little out of control, how do I deduct points from your score?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Tof and Schirmer could die tomorrow and still live twice the life you type.
    Try skiing with subtle sometime, you might change your opinion.
    A great skier and class act.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I get the email and try and watch the replays but the vid just keeps loading and never loads to play
    Anyone else get that result?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

that's probably adblock..my work computer does that
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

^^ A bit dramatic. All of these competitors are doing this and pushing harder because they love it. It's not like there's a wealth of riches at the end of the FWT rainbow.

lol... often the case when you see a late hours argument on TGR.
    So true

FWT is one of the few competitions you usually see the riders cheering and smiling at the finish line>no matter what they scored

I really liked Reine's post on IG. Good way to sum up what was going on in-field.