Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2070
    Already as much snow on the Bec as March last year
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0616.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	403.0 KB 
ID:	434768

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    What kind upstsets me is not his behaviour,but that they reward it.
    No way im against big mountain or technical lines....you just have to make me believe you're in control.
    As has been pointed out many times in here, guys like Aymar are doing the same sort of lines outside of competition too. It's not like he's pushing himself just because it's a competition and he's trying to win. He's doing what he enjoys.

There will always be people that push themselves and take significant risk for personal reward. These people exist in almost every sport and activity. Wanting to ban them from a competition where the entire point is to accomplish difficult feats of athleticism seems like a really weird take on the situation. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    As has been pointed out many times in here, guys like Aymar are doing the same sort of lines outside of competition too. It's not like he's pushing himself just because it's a competition and he's trying to win. He's doing what he enjoys.

There will always be people that push themselves and take significant risk for personal reward. These people exist in almost every sport and activity. Wanting to ban them from a competition where the entire point is to accomplish difficult feats of athleticism seems like a really weird take on the situation. Sit back and enjoy the show.
    This.

I think the extreme comps I'm skiing and mountain biking are athlete driven? Could be wrong here.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I'd like to disagree with this somewhat, having been pretty close to a competitor, hanging with a number of them before and after events including at Verbier, and hearing their chatter first and second hand.

While people who ski at this level do indeed push themselves in their non-competition skiing (especially by the standards of us mortals), the comp day lines and mentality are 180 degrees form a normal ski day, no matter how good they are.

Most acknowledged being gripped standing in the start at all the events I attended. They know they have to push it to win, and they study and calculate their lines carefully and intentionally. Then they go out and take risks (calculated) that wouldn't figure in to a day out there for fun.

I mean, they do stuff for fun most of us couldn't or wouldn't, and they really do ski at a different level than 99% of the skiers on the planet, but a comp run is horse of a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Sit back and enjoy the show.
    Have you seen a competitor die mid run before? I have, and I simply cannot compute “sit back and enjoy it.”

^^^fair enough (edit: directed at oftpiste). But it still seems really weird to me to put together a competition to showcase the most badass skiers, but then have people say "oh, but maybe not Aymar. He's a little too badass."

A guy came in and skied hard in a way that epitomizes the sport, and now people are saying he should dial it back a bit? That's kind of silly.

My criticism is not that he is pushing it, but that he leaves the impression that he is not capable of what he attempts. And i think not really knowing your limit is very dangerous in this Sport. Maybe the others get lucky more often, but they make me believe they could have pulled it off...even if they crash whereas with aymar I think: yeah there he goes again.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Have you seen a competitor die mid run before? I have, and I simply cannot compute “sit back and enjoy it.”
    Yeah. One death. A couple of paralyses. All in races that I was participating in.

All of them were fairly unspectacular crashes. It happens, and clearly it's unfortunate and we should do what we can to avoid it. But ultimately, shit happens. And what's the alternative, stay home on the couch?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I mean, they do stuff for fun most of us couldn't or wouldn't, and they really do ski at a different level than 99% of the skiers on the planet, but a comp run is horse of a different color.
    Yes, and while I was the one that said he skis lines outside the comp like he does in the comp, that really isn't true. The lines outside the comp are equally as dangerous, they're just typically much more billy-goaty in no fall zones. Stuff you can't do in a comp because there's no fluidity to it. And while there's always a good crew involved, there aren't doctors waiting above with helicopters below like in the comp.
    But the competition itself (as well as the knowledge that thousands are watching you) adds something huge, no doubt.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I'd like to disagree with this somewhat, having been pretty close to a competitor, hanging with a number of them before and after events including at Verbier, and hearing their chatter first and second hand.

While people who ski at this level do indeed push themselves in their non-competition skiing (especially by the standards of us mortals), the comp day lines and mentality are 180 degrees form a normal ski day, no matter how good they are.

Most acknowledged being gripped standing in the start at all the events I attended. They know they have to push it to win, and they study and calculate their lines carefully and intentionally. Then they go out and take risks (calculated) that wouldn't figure in to a day out there for fun.

Markus Eder recounted in his Blister podcast how Loic Colomb Patton literally threw up every time before his run at the Bec des Rosses

Freeride World Tour

My criticism is not that he is pushing it, but that he leaves the impression that he is not capable of what he attempts.
    This.

The sport isn’t some choice between risking your life or staying home. There’s not even a belt buckle for those types of antics anymore. It’s just skiing the best line possible within the bounds of your skill, conditions, and terrain. Navarro typically fails at judging some combo of those things.

When he doesn’t though - he does well. Like I believe his best result last year might have been in terrible conditions where he toned it way down. If he did that all the time he’d probably be great at this sport.

While a totally agree, these athletes have much more of a comfort zone in familiar terrain they ski more often.
    Allows them to bring the comfort lvl from their home turf to a comp.
    Just because some have a comfort zone that makes others uncomfortable does not necessarily make their zone off limits.
    ***It probably is their friends and mentors place to guide them on how far things can be pushed***not public opinion
    Either way no one wants to see anyone get hurt pushing it. I prefer to just wish 'em good luck. Thoroughly enjoy watching these bad-asses.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Markus Eder recounted in his Blister podcast how Loic Colomb Patton literally threw up every time before his run at the Bec des Rosses
    Hey bob! Yeah, but there might have been other contributing factors such as what he did the night before. But yes, especially there I heard many of them (including mine) talk about how crazy scary it was to drop in.

I take your point, and you're talking about skiing you've seen. So it's a film shoot and again, they're going to push for the camera. That too is a horse of a different color than what they do when out ripping around without cameras or spectators. Still way out of most of our leagues, but not the same as a comp or a shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Yes, and while I was the one that said he skis lines outside the comp like he does in the comp, that really isn't true. The lines outside the comp are equally as dangerous, they're just typically much more billy-goaty in no fall zones. Stuff you can't do in a comp because there's no fluidity to it. And while there's always a good crew involved, there aren't doctors waiting above with helicopters below like in the comp.
    But the competition itself (as well as the knowledge that thousands are watching you) adds something huge, no doubt.
    Last edited by oftpiste; 11-20-2022 at 04:27 PM.

When does the 22-23 thread start?

Or are we boycotting fwt this year because it is too dangerous and no one should be allowed to earn a living this way?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    This.

The sport isn’t some choice between risking your life or staying home. There’s not even a belt buckle for those types of antics anymore. It’s just skiing the best line possible within the bounds of your skill, conditions, and terrain. Navarro typically fails at judging some combo of those things.

When he doesn’t though - he does well. Like I believe his best result last year might have been in terrible conditions where he toned it way down. If he did that all the time he’d probably be great at this sport.
    You guys are acting like Aymar is the only one who ever crashes in these comps.

And for whatever it's worth, of the few competitions I regularly watch, FWT actually isn't too bad in terms of serious injuries. DH mountain biking is considerably worse, and redbull rampage is way, way worse than that.

You guys are acting like Aymar is the only one who ever crashes in these comps.

And for whatever it's worth, of the few competitions I regularly watch, FWT actually isn't too bad in terms of serious injuries. DH mountain biking is considerably worse, and redbull rampage is way, way worse than that.
    yea, don't wanna neuter it like pro football

if we're not careful the only show on TV will be "Ow, My Balls" ie>movie> Idiocracy
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

I take your point, and you're talking about skiing you've seen. So it's a film shoot and again, they're going to push for the camera. That too is a horse of a different color than what they do when out ripping around without cameras or spectators. Still way out of most of our leagues, but not the same as a comp or a shoot.
    I don't think he was necessarily pushing for the camera. Those movies are his dreams of what he wanted to ski, and then got someone to film it. The stuff he posts on his insta I think are the most representative of what he does regularly and those scare the crap out of me too.

Holy pearl clutching
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Interestingly the people here saying "yeah go all in on camera" were the same people who seemed to be deeply shocked when we tragically and totally surprisingly lost fransson, Nelson, Auclair. .....

It happens. All the time. I don't care about that. I just don't want to see it live.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

As others have suggested, you shouldn't watch live broadcasts. Of literally any sporting event. Except maybe tennis is ok.

Interestingly the people here saying "yeah go all in on camera" were the same people who seemed to be deeply shocked when we tragically and totally surprisingly lost fransson, Nelson, Auclair. .....

It happens. All the time. I don't care about that. I just don't want to see it live.
    For someone who doesn't care about it you sure mention it alot.

Also, literally noone here said "yeah go all in on camera", or even anything to that effect.

Also also, it's weird you seem to know who was shocked about the deaths mentioned above and I highly doubt your data. You made that BS up.

So, as someone also a bit worried about Aymar's wildcard, I still think some things said here don't take into consideration how some of these guys and gals are wired. Yes, there are a lot that seem to be playing russian roulette each time they ski, whether it's for a movie or for a comp. I suggest you guys check out the movie Drop in a Life, especially the bit between 09.50 and 19 something. The guy only started freeriding when he was 22, and since the get-go he was going for the same type of high risk high reward lines.

And on the topic of doing it only for films, it's obviously hard to show what you don't do for the camera nowadays (if there's no camera, how can you? ) But i'll throw this in anyways:

Here is aymar with a buddy in december 2019, checking out the line he did on the Baciver last year. This is actually an entrance right before it (me and my brother went in here, dropping the same cliff he crashed on) and he proceeded to go to the needle entrance he took on the comp. No cameras there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	434857

Boss is back