Page 20 of 83 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    None of my Things competing these days. Thing #2 competed in the FWT 18/19 and 19/20. Thing #3 was done after junior worlds that year. Miss being a part of that scene!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Are two things competing this year or is that another set of brothers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Dear FWT please don't post "winning run" stuff on YouTube mere hours after the contest ends. Not everyone was able to watch it live.

Maybe I'm in the wrong though? I guess I should unsubscribe from them on YT?

That was a fun comp (at least from the ski men). Going into it I wasn't sure about the venue, but I actually like it. Sure, it could be longer, but there was a ton of variation in the lines which makes it way more fun to watch. Hopefully they'll come back to this venue sometime with a bit more snow - aside from sharks catching a couple guys, it seems like more snow would really open a few options.

More snow is not very likely because the pyrenees had a massive early season. Maybe less wind though. Things Seemed ripped.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

The level of skiing right now from the men is absolutely ridiculous. It was a solid venue for them and really provided some great moments... the others not so much. With the women I kept wondering why they didn't even do anything at all on the lower runout part with such an obvious little diving board to hit.

Thought both Turdell and Freeland were scored a little low but the podium was a no-brainer. Nichols' lincoln loop with the tight landing between the rocks was pretty cool too.

So Max Palm was an event wild card invite. After that they have to keep extending him the same courtesy at the following events, right?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Dear FWT please don't post "winning run" stuff on YouTube mere hours after the contest ends. Not everyone was able to watch it live.

Maybe I'm in the wrong though? I guess I should unsubscribe from them on YT?
    They've gotten better about not posting it on the homepage before you can get to the replay.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Are these replayed on Redbull TV?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On the FWT website.

You can skip straight to each run and stuff. Have to say, it's done very well. Kudos to them...

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    They've gotten better about not posting it on the homepage before you can get to the replay.
    Their player sucks balls so I left their page and went to YT to watch the replay. Oops. Yeah don't do that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    More snow is not very likely because the pyrenees had a massive early season. Maybe less wind though. Things Seemed ripped.
    It's been a very windy early season. I've skied the couloir Navarro dropped in December with way better coverage. Some parts of the mountains are loaded, with lifts being dug out, but some aspects, especially northwest, have been absolutely hammered. Besides, there really is no reason for the event to take place in the middle of January, it could easily be February and still have time for the rest.

Here is a pic, december 6 or 9 a couple seasons ago. You can see in the background actual snowlevels were still pretty low, but the couloirs on the north face all went, and none of them went today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 early dec.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	402347

Here is Navarro himself scoping his line (yes the same entry he tried today) december 21st 2019

Name:	859183.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	402348

My brother dropping the double where Navarro crashed (same day)

Name:	859186.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	402349

And here I was 3pm January 26th? 2020. Crashed the cliff at the end of the couloir and tore my ligaments. This couloir wasn't even in yet today. All about that wind...

Name:  2aa04bd360e9ea9d1d002f44985bcd19_f8881ab74d2bea30de4527376734ea73_whatsapp_20image_202020_01_25.jpeg
Views: 515
Size:  197.5 KB
    Name:  9ccc7b0b823207e1751bb3e392c3c0b0_c735d58b7e5688fe8d083c6aeb507e37_whatsapp_20image_202020_01_25.jpeg
Views: 522
Size:  161.2 KB

Oh and yes, all of this terrain is accessible from the lift. Just a traverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirene View Post
    Pretty happy to see how judging was consistent with Carl's run scoring higher than Turdell because throwing a flat3 is harder than a backflip, was kind of expecting them to score Turdell higher just because of who he is.
    Agreed on that except for the fact that they then scored Gorak's backflip run higher than Jack Nichols' lincoln loop run which should have been the other way around IMO - Nichols' trick into that little pocket above more rock/cliff was way more unique, interesting and technical than another big backflip sender into a clean run out. One of my favourite moments from the comp.

Overall I really enjoyed seeing a new venue. It's a lot more exciting when it's not just slight variations on lines and zones we've seen before in previous years. The level of skiing in such shitty conditions blew my mind, as usual.

Max Palm given a season wildcard after his performance today

Really great stuff Pirene, glad to have your perspective. I enjoyed the comp, biggest surprise to me was Mael's run being scored a 66. Guess they really didn't like the backslap, but I thought that was about as clean as you could land a 50+ footer to hardpack.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

That double backie into the 360 was nuts. Props to the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Agreed on that except for the fact that they then scored Gorak's backflip run higher than Jack Nichols' lincoln loop run which should have been the other way around IMO - Nichols' trick into that little pocket above more rock/cliff was way more unique, interesting and technical than another big backflip sender into a clean run out. One of my favourite moments from the comp.

Overall I really enjoyed seeing a new venue. It's a lot more exciting when it's not just slight variations on lines and zones we've seen before in previous years. The level of skiing in such shitty conditions blew my mind, as usual.
    A bit harder to compare since the lines were different. The swedes had exactly the same run but exchanging a backflip for a flat 3. I loved Nichols' Lincoln, but his line was otherwise low risk with just a couple small hits. Gorak had a medium cliff with a tricky set up and came into the flip with speed into a questionable takeoff vs Nichols on a smooth windlip. His landing was way harder to pull off though. At the end of the day it's about ranking the riders. I think both Erikson and Gorak were slightly overscored, but positions 4-11 were tough to judge. I liked Chabloz, Rainer and Pollard and thought the Turdell/Erikson/Slemet line was a bit too obvious. Would have loved to see it life, would not have liked to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Really great stuff Pirene, glad to have your perspective. I enjoyed the comp, biggest surprise to me was Mael's run being scored a 66. Guess they really didn't like the backslap, but I thought that was about as clean as you could land a 50+ footer to hardpack.
    Thanks!

With current scoring cards it's impossible to win off one big hit if you don't stomp it clean. As big as it is, it's just one feature with a heavy backslap deduction. Half the size stomped clean is worth just as much. I think Navarro's line wouldn't have cracked top 3 for the same reason, no way you're stomping that with no control issues, and the risk was just too high. They get docked for doing stupid things, and jumping off a building to flat is just not very smart line choice. Respect the send though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirene View Post
    A bit harder to compare since the lines were different. The swedes had exactly the same run but exchanging a backflip for a flat 3. I loved Nichols' Lincoln, but his line was otherwise low risk with just a couple small hits. Gorak had a medium cliff with a tricky set up and came into the flip with speed into a questionable takeoff vs Nichols on a smooth windlip. His landing was way harder to pull off though. At the end of the day it's about ranking the riders. I think both Erikson and Gorak were slightly overscored, but positions 4-11 were tough to judge. I liked Chabloz, Rainer and Pollard and thought the Turdell/Erikson/Slemet line was a bit too obvious. Would have loved to see it life, would not have liked to judge.
    Yeah it's hard to argue against that. I rewatched those two runs after I posted and Nichols' was definitely a lot tamer until his final section. I guess the unique line choices and trick combos like that one just really stand out to me when the field is so stacked and so strong. So often there are 6-8 runs in the middle of the rankings that are just a toss up and come down to such finer margins and personal preferences. And agreed, I don't envy the judges - impossible job.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Same - really interesting to see some POV shots in better snow conditions. Gnarly zone.

BAnd yeah, could have been scored higher but backslaps have been penalized hard for a good few years now which always make big cliff line choices like that a risk when it comes to the judging. Sick to see him hit a different zone to the rest though. Must have been so scary trying to line up that take off.

Is the 'live' follow drone thing new? That is brilliant and needs to be in several sports I occasionally watch...

So: who gets the sickbird belt buckle?

Pretty much either Mael or Aymar right?

Moga’s air was pretty close in size to Mael’s. Personally I thought it was the best run, those two turns on the spine were super impressive, and he mixed big air with jibs and smooth fast skiing. I understand that the judges wanted to give extra credit for the first double backflip though. Gorak and Turdell were over scored imo.

Been a pretty casual fwt fan but that ski men’s was super exciting to watch. I’m all in now.

Freeride World Tour

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

No way Aymar gets it. Even in the old school USA days you had to actually have a shot at your line/not just get super lucky you didn’t break yourself to get the sick bird.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 01-23-2022 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

An award for crashing? What's next ? Participation awards for everyone?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    An award for crashing? What's next ? Participation awards for everyone?
    they already do get points for participation. even the no score athletes still got points. What I don't understand is why Jessica Hotter got more points (1340) for her no score than Jackie Pollard (1070). Same thing in the mens too.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.