Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    really good interview with the winner
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Was that Aurélien that was in the finish to meet Reine when he came in? Crazy how Reine ist still competing at top level. Xavier was pretty good as co host. Funny to hear him talk about his little brother.

Turdell is just a great skier. Reine and Aymar were clearly the riders favorites. Awesome run and result from Elisabeth Gerritzen. If only Reine had held on to the backflip at the bottom...

You can see the old Sahara sand/ice patches around the cliffs. It seems they thought it’s was just too dangerous to have the riders launching onto those landings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9715.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	368623

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This double was pure insanity. Very happy to see Navarro on the podium. How the f.ck can Bec be skied so smoothly like by Turdell? What a crazy show!

Unofficial Sickbird:

Imo has to be either Aymar or Reine.
    Flip a coin

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Unofficial Sickbird:

Imo has to be either Aymar or Reine.
    Flip a coin
    Has to be Aymar. Harder to open this line than to do it second.

Heartbreaking that Reine couldn't stick that backie.

But Navarro's double (and Reine's), and Turdell's otherworldly control and smoothness, were something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Heartbreaking that Reine couldn't stick that backie.

But Navarro's double (and Reine's), and Turdell's otherworldly control and smoothness, were something else.
    Yeah, all three of those were awesome. Would have been really interesting to see how the judging shook out of Reine had stuck the backflip. He was cleaner through the double than Aymar, but didn't look like he was going 8,000 mph in quite the same way that Aymar did.

Or if Leo had stuck his line.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Not that anybody from FWT is going to read this, but I really, really wish that FWT would make the judging of ski woman more consistent. It is all over the place as is, much more so than in ski men.

The ski woman field is getting really strong and quite competetive, yet both individual results as well as the overall are massively influenced by inconsistent judging wrt what constitutes a hand drag, a back slap and so on and the ensuing scoring, with the added bonus of low risk low tech freestyle moves (aka tiny, whipped around 360s) scoring big. Sure, it is easy to criticize from afar, but I just don't get some of the judging over the last two seasons in this field. Like at all.

Judging from how some of the competitors react when they get their scores it kinda seems like they do not either.

I dunno - it really, really detracts from what in all other ways is a very well run competition.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Or if Leo had stuck his line.
    Yeah, I think that was likely the winning run if he'd been able to hold on

If anyone from the FWT is reading this, i would love to have camera viewing options for each rider, ie be able to switch cameras on the fly when watching a stream. switch between a wide shot where we can see most of the face in frame, what's below them, where they're going, etc.. or just watch the helicopter close ups, or just watch the follow drone, or watch their gopro. click and switch view

personally i really really dislike the way the FWT edits their shots, it's almost always a bunch of close up helicopter shots that are way too tight, and often at some weird angle that makes the whole thing look like a blue cruiser. park a tripod at the top of gentianes and give us a nice wide shot of these crazy lines that show them for what they really are.

If only Reine hadn't blown that backflip at the end!!!

He and Aymar were just nuts. Lots of great skiing though.

I sometimes think Turdell suffers from the same thing Joel Parkinson sometimes suffered from in surfing, in that he makes things which are very difficult look easy and casual.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Totally agree on the Joel Parko comparison. When someones technique is perfect, it can look too easy.

Finally watched some more runs. Agree on Leo Slemett being a contender for the win had he stuck it. Very impressive coming back from a serious injury that quickly.

And how fcuken ridiculous was Blake Marshall's 720?!?

Still, my faves were Reine and Aymar. Those doubles...

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Replay was available this AM

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

holy hell those were some awesome lines all around.

can't believe reine is still getting it done.
    swing your fucking sword.

Aymer had me yelling at my screen (again). So sick. Turdell is just too damn smooth.

Thought that Gorek was over scored. Great run, but seemed a bit more out of control through most of his run. I would've dropped him down a spot or two. Which potentially would've affected the overall standings. But whatever. Still a super fun comp to watch.

Baby Bec was a bit of a disappointment to me. 30 second venue. Thing #2 called it a junior venue with bigger airs. That entrance off the real top - which I watched in person in 2018 - is such a test of real big mt. skiing.

Watched yesterday with Thing #2 and there was some head-shaking about the judging. Still appears to be pretty much about who they want to keep around, and social media presence. Of course you have to ski to stay, but everyone there knows the FWT game is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Baby Bec was a bit of a disappointment to me. 30 second venue. Thing #2 called it a junior venue with bigger airs. That entrance off the real top - which I watched in person in 2018 - is such a test of real big mt. skiing.

Watched yesterday with Thing #2 and there was some head-shaking about the judging. Still appears to be pretty much about who they want to keep around, and social media presence. Of course you have to ski to stay, but everyone there knows the FWT game is what it is.
    Curious to hear who you'd bump up/down, having more than an average punter's insight.

Sometimes it seems like freestyle moves are the big deal and required, then all of a sudden not. Given up guessing, and will just enjoy watching.

YEWWWW!

Aymar opening up that double was the ski stoke of the year imho. YES! Reine too of course, but like someone said earlier, Aymar opened it up and went a bit bigger. Loved Turdell's flowing steep skiing and shows when you compare to some of the other competitors. Drew's lap was again different and fun to watch. All in all, I was pleasantly entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Aymer had me yelling at my screen (again)
    I was hollering at the screen for him to hold it together and just get through the gate after he landed that double!

I'll post this here if anyone is interested in some behind the scenes stuff of the riders. It's kind of cool seeing how the riders interact around the comps, esp in this crazy year. FWT comps stuff starts ep 11
    https://www.youtube.com/c/CrustyLips/videos

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post

Hey Oftpiste, hope you’re well! Interested in your podium selections? Yep shame about not going from the top but it looked truly horrible up there after the wind. If they’d bombed it and gone Friday it would have been all time...

Reine definitely wins if he sticks that backflip. He went nearly as big on the double he was just more in control.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.