Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Letís hope they get some decent snow in the Pyrenees this season. 2 rounds over that way and nothing in Chamonix, Japan or the US is a shame but I guess itís hard for them to get resorts to sign up

Pyrenees are really fickle. Even more so than the fickle southern alps. If they get snow it can get warm quickly.

And precip is lower in general than in the alps. It's actually similar to the Sierra latitude wise and snow wise. If it dumps, it dumps. They rarely have those 20/30cm refreshs like the Northern alps.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Pyrenees are really fickle. Even more so than the fickle southern alps. If they get snow it can get warm quickly.

And precip is lower in general than in the alps. It's actually similar to the Sierra latitude wise and snow wise. If it dumps, it dumps. They rarely have those 20/30cm refreshs like the Northern alps.
    Will the vulcano ashes from las palmas have an impact on the european winter? Or is all the dust blown over to south america?
    Last edited by nordekette; 09-26-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Sarcasm Meter broken on my side? I mean I've only seen pictures of mammoth, but honestly......
    And even if you include some remote california wilderness, do you have any idea how Vast and wild AND accessible the pyrenees are?
    Baqueira is one of the few places I've actually considered going to in the pyrenees. Really nice Terrain.
    Yes. Honestly.
    I'd give Mammoth the nod in every category except adjacent sidecountry. Also, you do the know the Sierra is roughly 4 times the size of the vast and wild Pyrenees. And it is also extremely accessible. Also, Mammoth's base is above Baqueira's summit.
    Last edited by powdork; 09-26-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I'd love to ski the Pyrenees. Spent 3 days day hiking around Formigal in Oct 2019. Twas hot but nobody around and beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Yes. Honestly.
    I'd give Mammoth the nod in every category except adjacent sidecountry. Also, you do the know the Sierra is roughly 4 times the size of the vast and wild Pyrenees. And it is also extremely accessible. Also, Mammoth's base is above Baqueira's summit.
    Uh huh. You have seen the video? 80+% is basically inbounds.(as in European reachable by lifts)

And the back country in the val daran alone is well huge. If you start in including all of california I counter with the alps because you know..equal distance. You'll lose

Unless you've been to baqueira and I misjudge the maps I highly doubt mammoth can even remotely compete.

https://www.bergfex.at/baqueira-beret/
    Click on the blue "karte "(or map if bergfex changes to an English version?)and play around with the osm bergfex map. You see really cool stuff right from the lifts.

And concerning the base area altitude: you know that baqueira is basically at the same latitude as Oregon?

so I don't really see the point of comparing them

ignoring me hurts even more than a fucking snobbish yes or no
    LIVE IS NOT A CHAIRLIFT

Uh huh. You have seen the video? 80+% is basically inbounds.(as in European reachable by lifts)

And the back country in the val daran alone is well huge. If you start in including all of california I counter with the alps because you know..equal distance. You'll lose

Unless you've been to baqueira and I misjudge the maps I highly doubt mammoth can even remotely compete.

https://www.bergfex.at/baqueira-beret/
    Click on the blue "karte "(or map if bergfex changes to an English version?)and play around with the osm bergfex map. You see really cool stuff right from the lifts.

And concerning the base area altitude: you know that baqueira is basically at the same latitude as Oregon?

so I don't really see the point of comparing them
    Southern Oregon. Yes I watched the movie. I'm willing to bet from how long the powder lasted on the large faces (2:00) that the best scenes in there were the OB scenes. Do you think there aren't powder day movies from mammoth?
    Baquiera gets the edge in size 4700 vs 3500+ acres.
    Baquiera gets the slight edge in vertical (extra 300')
    Mammoth gets a huge advantage in altitude.
    Mammoth gets more than double the average snowfall.
    Mammoth's season regularly runs from the beginning of November thru memorial Day and often beyond
    Mammoth gets a huge advantage for their parks.
    Can't be sure but the idea I get from the maps is that Mammoth has much more in the way of tree skiing.
    Mammoth has a vastly superior lift system
    So while I'm not gonna say one is better than the other, to say Mammoth isn't in the same league just isn't true.

Mammoth Powder Day (all lower mountain)

Recap of the 9 month 16/17 season

And since this is the FWT thread, this is the precursor to the FWT at Mammoth. Due to huge storms they had to hold the contest on this limited vertical ridge. This one's mine. Sorry about the quality but it was 2008. Alkasquawlik (in purple) won the abbreviated event

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    ignoring me hurts even more than a fucking snobbish yes or no
    i wouldn't think so unless it's still ashing when the storms come. if ash falls on powder it will melt much faster i would assume and could have a similar effect as sandstorms. and snow generally forms more readily when there are tiny particulates in the air. So if the volcano is still erupting it could have an effect but who knows

^^^
    Despite being part of Spain the Canary Islands are very far away from Spain. Especially the Pyrenees and winter storm systems generally come from the northern Atlantic into the Pyrenees. Not from the west coast of Africa. Volcano certainly has the potential to give some hurricanes as almost all Atlantic hurricanes originate near the Canary Islands due to Saharan and blowing off the continent colliding with Atlantic moisture around the islands. Iíd love to see more comps in NA but the fact is the resorts are hesitant to host.

man check this episode out...
    it is a rainy day today and i just watched this : ) super fun
    even better then the verbier episode
    had to share it with you... (i know complete wrong thread) but the video is so worth it

the tent scene is uberfunny

That was different! Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^
    Despite being part of Spain the Canary Islands are very far away from Spain. Especially the Pyrenees and winter storm systems generally come from the northern Atlantic into the Pyrenees. Not from the west coast of Africa. Volcano certainly has the potential to give some hurricanes as almost all Atlantic hurricanes originate near the Canary Islands due to Saharan and blowing off the continent colliding with Atlantic moisture around the islands. I’d love to see more comps in NA but the fact is the resorts are hesitant to host.
    When I was covering the Nissan Quest events it seemed like Hale Woods wanted more than the resorts wanted to give, and had a hard time dealing with the FS to have events outside resorts. And they had a horrible string of luck with storms and some poor decision making that ended up with all events at least moved to lesser venues and abbreviated. I think their experience with US events just left a bad taste in their mouths.

Old school (poor quality) from some of their other freeskiing comp venues There are 4 different venues on the mountain, the one I posted earlier is on the mountain in a permanently closed area, 'Oh Shit Ridge'.
    Kiwi Flats. First run is Guerlain Chicherit, second two are Shane. The Gravity Games

'Top of the World' from I don't know

But the best freeskiing face inbounds in California is at Kirkwood, and that's Vail.

Chicherit that dude was a beast. Had the pleasure of skiing some laps with him @ Alta years ago before one of the old Bird comps. Dude opened my eyes as to what was possible in less than ideal conditions.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Southern Oregon. Yes I watched the movie. I'm willing to bet from how long the powder lasted on the large faces (2:00) that the best scenes in there were the OB scenes. Do you
    I can't find the other vids, but the big cliff faces are lift served cap de vaqueira north face. (Pretty scary because some lines end in big cliffs) I did my research some years ago because I considered going. Pyrenees 7 years ago means pow for ages....hell I still know a spot or two in the alps that do last a while.

Cap and tuc du vaciver also have pretty Intimidating terrain right of the lift.

Snowfall is an issue. That's why I've never gone.

I don't know how you measure this acres thing ( no Euro resort gives you that number?), but did you include all terrain or just groomers? I mean the distance from one furthest lift in the North to the one in the south is about 10km and east to west is about 3 to 4km. So that corridor is a conservative 30-40km2 so roughly 6000-8000acres.

I still wonder whether the fwt will change the crowds there. I know it hasn't for arcalis because arcalis' terrain sux. (even the contest face is meh)

Freeride World Tour - 2021

I didnít really want to start a pissing match but the idea of just dismissing Mammoth and, uh, the entire Eastern Sierra like that didnít really sit right with me. Anyone who dismisses those mountains has no idea what theyíre talking about. I guarantee no one on the tour would do that.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

i wouldn't think so unless it's still ashing when the storms come. if ash falls on powder it will melt much faster i would assume and could have a similar effect as sandstorms. and snow generally forms more readily when there are tiny particulates in the air. So if the volcano is still erupting it could have an effect but who knows
    ; ) thanks it is more about subtle never gives me longterm forcasts. But guys i dont want to interupt you with what skiarea has a bigger.... face.... or what....
    I will never find out. But isnt rod93xx our local down there?

He likes it.... and he could compare as he knows both i guess....

Paging rod!

I thought he was in chamonix when he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I didnít really want to start a pissing match but the idea of just dismissing Mammoth and, uh, the entire Eastern Sierra like that didnít really sit right with me. Anyone who dismisses those mountains has no idea what theyíre talking about. I guarantee no one on the tour would do that.
    I have absolutely no clue about the eastern Sierra so I didn't want to wade into that battle, but I'm fairly set on the resort battle front

My wild Pyrenees comment was more in the direction that the back country options are also pretty big there.

; ) thanks it is more about subtle never gives me longterm forcasts. But guys i dont want to interupt you with what skiarea has a bigger.... face.... or what....
    I will never find out. But isnt rod93xx our local down there?

He likes it.... and he could compare as he knows both i guess....

Paging rod!
    Long term snow forecasts?Am I from the Netherlands?

Volcano eruptions don't have any effect on the weather, except when they're so huge that they cool the climate.

But since the canaries are hot spot volcanos you don't have huge explosive eruptions.

But since the canaries are hot spot volcanos you don't have huge explosive eruptions.
    ummmm, yellowstone is a hot spot.

I think the point is Canary Islands are like Hawaii, constant small eruptions, versus Mt. St. Helens, blowing the top 3,000 ft off the mountain and changing world wide weather patterns for months.

I don't know what makes a better venue, Mammoth vs. Pyranees, but avoiding CA personally injury attorneys and US liability laws is enough to give Euro venues the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I think the point is Canary Islands are like Hawaii, constant small eruptions, versus Mt. St. Helens, blowing the top 3,000 ft off the mountain and changing world wide weather patterns for months.

I don't know what makes a better venue, Mammoth vs. Pyranees, but avoiding CA personally injury attorneys and US liability laws is enough to give Euro venues the edge.
    yeah i got that, but hotspot eruptions can be huge. FWIW I don't think Mammoth is all that good as a venue, and I'm not recommending it as that. There are plenty of other spots in the Sierra much better suited.

The whole Mammoth vs Pyrenees argument sounds like "tell me you haven't skied in Europe, without telling me you haven't skied in Europe". I'd argue there isn't a ski area in the U.S. that could compare to most European resorts in terms of size and access.

Hereís a venue lineup:
    January:
    1) Hakuba
    2) Jackson Hole
    February
    3) Kicking Horse/Revelstoke
    4) St Anton
    March
    5) Monterosa (Alagna)
    6) La Grave
    April
    7) Chamonix