Page 8 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm not seeing that in the video.
    It definitely came off about 15-20’ before he cratered the wall. He may still have crashed but I’ve seen him pull off crazy shit
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7417.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	367606

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7418.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	367607

edit- although best case scenario it was still going to be a control issue of some sort
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Except he fell/his run was doomed about a millisecond after he landed. The POV clip shows it well - he landed wrong/sat down on his tails on impact. Then his ski came off. Then your screengrabs happened.

I suspect it was one of those scenarios where something goes wrong (in this case line/trajectory of the gap air, janky landing maybe) and you see ahead it’s not make-able so everything that happens after is just trying to ditch safely... like throwing a shoe may have been more because he knew he was nuking right at that wall and needed to try something to dump speed before he cratered into it.

Or not... you know... hard to say definitively.

As someone who has made that high speed bucked on impact landing more times than I'd like to admit, he was going not going to make that....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    It definitely came off about 15-20’ before he cratered the wall. He may still have crashed but I’ve seen him pull off crazy shit

edit- although best case scenario it was still going to be a control issue of some sort
    Those screen grabs are a lot more obvious than the POV clip. Still, I'm with total_immortal, he was going to crater regardless. If you look at how his skis got crossed up mid-air pre-auger in the POV I'm calling that a reasonable binding release, not a pre-release.

Marcel Hirscher with the biggest and cleanest canyon gap. Why wasn't he in the comp?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMb_UZ2D..._web_copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Those screen grabs are a lot more obvious than the POV clip. Still, I'm with total_immortal, he was going to crater regardless. If you look at how his skis got crossed up mid-air pre-auger in the POV I'm calling that a reasonable binding release, not a pre-release.
    Yeah seems like he was trying to turn uphill to avoid the wall while he was bucked in the back seat which is when they're designed to come off even at whatever his are set at.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Marcel Hirscher with the biggest and cleanest canyon gap. Why wasn't he in the comp?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMb_UZ2D..._web_copy_link
    I dunno. He kinda flailed his arms a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I dunno. He kinda flailed his arms a little bit.
    Right? Like Candide. Gross.

What’s really missing from the tour is the sickbird award. When I completed lots of guys were as interested in that as they were winning. I’m guessing the fwt doesn’t do that so as to not encourage more craziness

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    What’s really missing from the tour is the sickbird award. When I completed lots of guys were as interested in that as they were winning. I’m guessing the fwt doesn’t do that so as to not encourage more craziness
    Tgr forumz unofficial sickbird belt buckle
    Clearly this last round goes to Aymar.

Last year... Yu Sasaki?

Freeride World Tour - 2021

I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

Last year... Yu Sasaki?
    Yes. Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

Last year... Yu Sasaki?
    For sure.

2020 Sick Bird - How about Hank Bilous and the Japan transfer air? So cool. Then if you combine the air he sent next to the canyon gap in Fieberbrunn with the Japan transfer air he might take it over Yu. That was fun going back and watching the highlights, I'd forgotten about his run at Fieberbrunn. That....was......awesome!!!

Yeah, Hank’s ability to look totally flung cat messed-up and fighting for balance in the air and just casually suck it all back together for a tidy stomped landing is just mind blowing to me. That’s somebody with a different kind of wiring and a crazy skill set for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    WTF are you talking about? If you think doing the canyon gap is trivial you know shit about this kinda things.
    I don't think it is as serious as what he was doing before. I would not call it trivial in general, but it is trivial in comparison to that crazy straightline. I would call it far less serious than what he was doing before. So trivial in comparison to that straightline. What he did up above made that gap seem trivial in comparison. The commentators were blown away by what he did up top and seemed bummed when he crashed. I echo their sentiments. Get over yourself.

I respect Navarro for not resting on his laurels so to speak, he probably could have taken it easy the rest of the run. In some sense I wish he had. That upper section was just so sick, it impressed me more than anything else anyone did. It's a shame he didn't at least get closer to the podium after that. I like Ross Tester's run, I like what Reine did particularly, but I have re-watched what Navarro did more than any of the other runs. It was the moment of the comp, at least for me. It's a shame he couldn't finish the rest of his line clean. In fact, that was the coolest thing I have seen on the FWT this year. Not a scientific opinion, just calling it as I see it.

I'm both excited and scared to see what Navarro is going to do on the bec.

That run actually vaguely reminded me of the feeling I got watching the 2000 Gravity Games with Guerlain Chicherit. That line, I think it's now called Frenchie's at Mammoth, was simply far and away crazier than anything anyone else did at that comp. I was actually looking up at that area on Sunday and thinking 'how the fuck did Guerlain see a line there?' He saw a line the others simply did not see. And that comp had some great names skiing very well. When I watched Guerlain I couldn't believe just how different his view of the mountain was. I think McConkey won that contest, but I will always remember what Chicherit did that day.

I can't seem to quickly find a video of Chcherit's line. I'm sure it is somewhere on this site. Watching Navarro made me feel like that.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 03-17-2021 at 01:36 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Comp on for Sunday or Monday. Riders scoping. The Bec looks magnificent Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2c2519db-34ba-4792-9bc0-c3db0d18a290.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	469.8 KB 
ID:	367805

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone else going to watch? We're on our way down there now. Any idea on which day for the comp? Wife is gonna take a day off from skiing one of the days and she doesn't one to skip the wrong day (can't watch it).

I was under the impression it's difficult to watch live

We were expecting Sunday but they posted this earlier so looks like Monday Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9427.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	724.8 KB 
ID:	368008

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I was under the impression it's difficult to watch live
    Doesn't look difficult to me?

Leo Slemett is back to Verbier with a wildcard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Doesn't look difficult to me?
    It’s not difficult. Everyone watches it from Col des Gentianes where they also put up a big screen so you can watch the replays up close. Question is whether they are allowed to do it this year with COVID regs. There is already a load of filming gear up there but no info on watching regs.