Page 7 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Just amazes me that his line score was so high. He avoided the last feature ( said so after) and skied a tame line but was smooth and tricked it .Judging has certainly gone towards favoring tricks over speed and big air. It’ll be interesting to see how it works out on the Bec as traditionally that’s more speed and big air, and what I associate with big mountain comps, hope the top gate is the starting gate and central is good to go. I really wish Navarro would’ve pulled it off. That would’ve really pressured the judges. Glad he qualified for the Bec. He’s going to be one to watch, although I might be actual scared to watch him.
    The Bec is plastered. 1m of fresh this week, cold temps and sun coming for the weekend. Conditions will be all time!

Is the list of qualifiers released? Supposed to be top ten for the men but Tabke announced that he got a wild card.
    Last edited by bobinch; 03-15-2021 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Tabke announced that he got a wild card.
    Yeahhhhhh!!!!

Nice!!

Now let’s get Gorek in there

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Just amazes me that his line score was so high. He avoided the last feature ( said so after) and skied a tame line but was smooth and tricked it .Judging has certainly gone towards favoring tricks over speed and big air. It’ll be interesting to see how it works out on the Bec as traditionally that’s more speed and big air, and what I associate with big mountain comps, hope the top gate is the starting gate and central is good to go. I really wish Navarro would’ve pulled it off. That would’ve really pressured the judges. Glad he qualified for the Bec. He’s going to be one to watch, although I might be actual scared to watch him.
    When I was involved (competing, coaching, judging) in the late 90s, line score created a hard limit on every other category, and wouldn’t have rewarded a run like Tester’s. However the current criteria, which when I read them:

https://www.freerideworldtour.com/si...g_handbook.pdf

.....still seem like voodoo, but I’ll accept that it’s an evolved system, explicitly intended to make it possible for widely varying interpretations of free riding to win, and that they presumably make sense to those that apply them. These guys are all incredible skiers, but it’s Tester that has laid down two perfectly executed runs which put him on top of the podium. Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yeahhhhhh!!!!

Nice!!

Now let’s get Gorek in there
    He’s 10th so in. I think Freeland is injured so maybe Tabke taking his place. Shame Raussis and Renval out given they are Verbier locals.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9161.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	439.6 KB 
ID:	367434

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    When I was involved (competing, coaching, judging) in the late 90s, line score created a hard limit on every other category, and wouldn’t have rewarded a run like Tester’s. However the current criteria, which when I read them:

https://www.freerideworldtour.com/si...g_handbook.pdf

.....still seem like voodoo, but I’ll accept that it’s an evolved system, explicitly intended to make it possible for widely varying interpretations of free riding to win, and that they presumably make sense to those that apply them. These guys are all incredible skiers, but it’s Tester that has laid down two perfectly executed runs which put him on top of the podium. Respect.
    Yeah. Guess in my mind I’m still stuck in the old line score being determinant on all other score system that I was familiar with.

I somewhere still have a copy of linescore
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

It's like they are doing two different sports. I love watching the big mountain chargers (Swedes, Navarro, Bimboes). The jibby stuff is cool, but it doesn't get me fired up like those dudes. I feel like Tabke and Pollard are a good mix of the two. Tester's run didn't get me excited at all. On the other hand, if I had kids doing that stuff, I'd want them to ski like Tester

Tao Kreibich also in Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9162.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	900.6 KB 
ID:	367470

Tester's run was smart. He skied into some tricky snow, tricked off of and into it and made relatively quick work of it. His knock is skipping the bottom air.
    Reine's run was wild. His eagle section was sick, he held on. The air past the photogs and then the one off the roller were great, the roller though doesn't get scored high. They may have also left room on that side for anyone looking to get over to the gap.

Both really fun to watch for me. I can see preferring the hard charging style, but Tester's run was a good mix of big mountain and style, which is where the sport is right now. I honestly think the pendulum swung a little too far to the freestyle there for a few years and it seems to be coming back right now.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I might be the only one saying this anywhere but I actually thought Carl regner eriksson deserved the win. Exact same line as reine’s with a big 360 added hit. Zero errors. Aymar was obvious winner if he stuck bottom air.

Navarro stepped up and I told my son he's one of my favorites...and then he hit Mach 2 over cliffs in variable snow...phew! Then that damn gap thing...ugh! Was such a bummer as a spectator rooting for that guy.

Tabke's run was again so damn fun to watch. Reine's most impressive thing was that bottom boost into chunder imho...I agree that he should have won but maybe just barely. Ross's run was pretty rad especially if you compare his fluidity, speed & aggressive/solid upper body.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    I might be the only one saying this anywhere but I actually thought Carl regner eriksson deserved the win. Exact same line as reine’s with a big 360 added hit. Zero errors. Aymar was obvious winner if he stuck bottom air.
    Yeah, great run from Regner Eriksson. It's only a matter of time until he's at the top of the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    So true. He's incredibly talented, but a lot of times he skis like he's willing to die to win. Which is really hard to watch when it's for a sport that barely supports its riders/doesn't even remotely reward the risk they're taking.
    Kind of agreed, but he's skiing similar lines almost year round. His instagram is filled with clips of him doing gnarly shit that's easily on par with that line. There (historically) have been guys on the tour that seemed like they were pushed outside of their comfort zone in search of a result, but Navarro seems pretty comfortable on those sort of big technical lines. I actually think the FWT has done a pretty good job of heavily penalizing mistakes in a way that makes the riders stay within their abilities. These days, it's usually the qualifier events that have some scarier skiing in them - young guys pushing hard to make a name for themselves.

Got me. I deleted that post as I don't really want to crap on the guy. I'm def not saying he's not a good skier. He crushes. It's just that his comp style is sometimes a few inches from disaster, or just out of control. Fieberbrunn showed both sides of that pretty well.

The kids and I always score the runs for fun. I can usually get within a point or two of the judges. I had Carl at a 91 and a win with the added 360 but in my heart I didn’t think he had won. He seems just a little out of control still like I’m a bit scared watching him whereas Reine is full on stomptown and a total thrill to see.

Navarro made a strategic error going for the gap. It was in rough shape, had been hit a couple of times, and guys weren't getting rewarded that well for it. He could have hit something mellower down low and still would have won. That top section was absolutely bonkers.

I wonder if the judges docked Reine a bit because he landed the rollover air into big rollers balls/debris. Kind of like how they'll dock points for landing on a rock even if you stomp it.

If Navarro's ski stayed on he would have been fine I feel. Also, if you advance this a frame at a time (sort of) it defintely looks like he clipped a rock on his landing up top with the tail of his left ski.

^^^
    I’ve definitely screamed at salomon bindings like that before.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    If Navarro's ski stayed on he would have been fine I feel.
    He would have gotten a score, but would not have been "fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    He would have gotten a score, but would not have been "fine."
    He crashed because his ski came off.

I've really like lots of the clips I've seen of Navarro, but that was on another level. It sucks to see him lose it on something trivial after doing something nuts.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I've really like lots of the clips I've seen of Navarro, but that was on another level. It sucks to see him lose it on something trivial after doing something nuts.
    WTF are you talking about? If you think doing the canyon gap is trivial you know shit about this kinda things.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    WTF are you talking about? If you think doing the canyon gap is trivial you know shit about this kinda things.
    It's not trivial but it definitely seemed easier than in years past. Probably because with the low snow level there was more of a lip this year. It was one of the more common hits this year.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    He crashed because his ski came off.
    I'm not seeing that in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm not seeing that in the video.
    He got bucked on the landing, I agree with DtM... but he fell either way and had equipment come off, so it's moot.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    He got bucked on the landing
    Yeah, he was going to crater into that drift whether his skis were on or off