Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Propane fire pit

I'm kinda done with the fire pit smoke show, although I still prefer a real fire. Anyway, anybody got one of those propane ones for their backyard? Thinking about getting one. Prices are all over the place. Cheaper ones are easily moveable, but look like shit in no time? rust etc?

Lower makes more sense to throw heat and I'd think you don't really want a wide rim, again for heat. Beyond that I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Lower is also what I wanted, but when you go low, you get the propane hose along the ground to the tank someplace else. I ended up with one that would fit the tank within the firepit. Ours is on a cement patio, if I had a way to bury the line, or hid it under a carpet, I would have done the remote tank and lower pit.

Also, play careful attention to what is included. Some of the lower ones don't include the tank cover. So you end up paying another $100 for something to cover the tank that looks decent.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking just enough to cover the tank, but some seem quite a bit higher. I should probably just commit to a bigger heavier one. Set it and forget it. idk

Propane fire pit

Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking just enough to cover the tank, but some seem quite a bit higher. I should probably just commit to a bigger heavier one. Set it and forget it. idk
    If it helps, this is what we bought. A little too tall as first to be comfortable with your feet up on it, but I've grown used to it and have worked up to naps with my feet on it. Works well, seems to be decent against the weather (but we cover it if we see rain in the forecast.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Noble-Ho...-_-Product_URL

I bought one of these a couple years ago, works well to chase away the evening chill on the deck.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bond-Bond-S...Table/50037280

My neighbors have one like this and the smoke is never a problem https://images.app.goo.gl/UtR2VNoaY3JkTniQA

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I bought one of these a couple years ago, works well to chase away the evening chill on the deck.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bond-Bond-S...Table/50037280
    Its held up ok?

Its held up ok?
    So far so good, it came with a cover but I never use it. The bottom is fiberglass (I think) and the top is granite. It's a solid piece.

So far so good, it came with a cover but I never use it. The bottom is fiberglass (I think) and the top is granite. It's a solid piece.
    Nice, thanks

I love mine for camping, will be using it this weekend, but I have never left it out for a long time so no idea how well it would last just sitting in the backyard.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Its held up ok?
    We have the same one. Going on 4 years old and holding up well. It a little tall but you get used to it. The cover is just now seeing some cuts/cracking. It sees sun most of the day on the patio. Surprised it’s lasted this long. I just put some duct tape on it and good to go.

just bought this one, $99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Used it last night for the first time and works great- sits low to the ground (but does not heat what it sits on, I checked) and pumps out a ton of heat- more like an artificial campfire than the "box top" ones discussed above

My kids have been bugging me to put in a firepit, ^^ that would be perfect for the maybe 3 days a year they're here and would want to use it. How long do these things go with a tank of propane?

depends on which one and how high you have it set, but I'd saying 8 hours-ish?

yeah, I'd guess 8-10 hours maybe? Had mine going for two nights this weekend, maybe 3 hours each time, and there was still some propane left. Mine is mostly just "on/off", no setting. And it depends whether your tank is an exchange from the store or whether you got it refilled (more propane in the refill tank vs exchange).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I decided to go for a wood one but thanks. And this is something I did not know:

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    (more propane in the refill tank vs exchange).

^^^The trade tanks are the same as what you refill - it's just that places like Blue Rhino are notorious for underfilling the tank you get on trade.

It's much less expensive to refill your own tank than doing the trade. Trading is a good way to get rid of an old expired tank (like the ones with the old overflow protection valves) and get a freshly manufactured one.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Love our propane fire pit. Flip the switch and fire/heat.

Cost about $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^The trade tanks are the same as what you refill - it's just that places like Blue Rhino are notorious for underfilling the tank you get on trade.

It's much less expensive to refill your own tank than doing the trade. Trading is a good way to get rid of an old expired tank (like the ones with the old overflow protection valves) and get a freshly manufactured one.
    It says 15 lbs right on those Blue Rhino tanks. IIRC, that labeling is the result of a class action lawsuit.

Yeah, $15 to fill my tank vs $23ish for a trade.

I also learned that the glass disperses more heat vs the rocks.

We bought one and its convenient for sure, but I think ideally I'd have a piped line natural gas one at ground level. It was chilly the other night and the heat does not get below knee level.

I'm still waffling about a LP fire pit for lot lunch and trailhead beers this winter. Any updates from folks? It has to be easily portable, but can sit in the truck bed for transport.

You after the ambiance or some warmth?

If the latter a Mr. Heater would probably serve you better. They're way more portable when using a 1lb tank.

If the former, then yeah. Go for a propane fire pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I'm still waffling about a LP fire pit for lot lunch and trailhead beers this winter. Any updates from folks? It has to be easily portable, but can sit in the truck bed for transport.
    The camping thread that is posted above would be the better solution. Mine throws a bit of heat, but nothing compared to a real burn.

https://www.campingworld.com/mr.-bar...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I almost bought this one for post-ride beers. Nice and portable. I like the cover.

disclaimer here, EVERYTHING outside holds up better and longer in Utah than it does in New England. Wood, metal, everything. Utah is a desert, New England is not