Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Nah; Big Trouble in Little China.
    We were obsessed with this movie as kids, haven't seen it in 20+ years though. Might have to look it up.

We just watched the Outpost.
    We both really enjoyed it, but my wife had just watched Medal of Honor, and two of the episodes of it had actually dealt with that attack, so she knew the whole story already.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Utah, get me 2
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 2.54.03 PM.png
Views: 482
Size:  97.8 KB

Yes, BTILC and CR are in the Top 10.

But no discussion of KR can be had without mentioning:

The Barefoot Executive
    The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
    The Strongest Man In The World
    Escape From New York
    The Thing

Bottomline: if you hain't seen his seminal Disney stuff, then you don't know (or fully appreciate) the man...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

But ..... we're not really talking about serious acting chops now, are we??

I mean, consider the early, early years. .......
    And I mistakenly thought he was in Spin and Marty.......
    Well, he should have been,

808 movie, as recommended by the Amazon thread.
    Watch it if you like music

Definitely sit through the ending, because it is worth it. I've heard a lot of these stories over the years about the 808 but never really knew what it was all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    808 movie, as recommended by the Amazon thread.
    Watch it if you like music

Definitely sit through the ending, because it is worth it. I've heard a lot of these stories over the years about the 808 but never really knew what it was all about.

You're the second person to give this doc a thumbs up (Legoskier big upped it a few months back in the Amazon Prime thread).
    I should def watch it as I was a radio DJ during that period and then was a journalist writing about rap music and hip-hop culture.

Thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    You're the second person to give this doc a thumbs up (Legoskier big upped it a few months back in the Amazon Prime thread).
    I should def watch it as I was a radio DJ during that period and then was a journalist writing about rap music and hip-hop culture.

Thanks for the reminder!

Haha!
    After 808 I watched "Get Duked" and there was some serious bumping going on from that sounds track too.
    Wife's outta town so maybe I'm just not used to getting to watch and listen to movies and music at a proper volume.

I am at the end of Malone right now. It's just on You
    tube. Background noise.

Earlier today I watch Battle of LA ? Nothing like some Aliens versus Marines violence to round out a lazy afternoon.

Oh yea talked to a recruiter today "Body Shop" What are the chances I end up at the same company I have worked for on and off the past 15 years?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Last night I re-watched Total Recall. Verhoeven's version from 1990 w/ Arnie. It's on Netflix right now.. WOW, what an absolutely bonkers fun sci-fi ramp. Although I kinda enjoyed the 2012 remake, I vastly prefer Verhoeven's campy, over the top style. The effects were ground breaking at the time and still actually hold up surprisingly well. ESPECIALLY the Mars scenes where they used real life miniatures like the good old days of film making. A good time, so go watch it.

Tenet

Last weekend I re-watched the Matrix. Wow. Even though it's 22 years old now, it holds up so well. Watching it after all these years made me realize just how monumentally transformational that film was in regard to Hollywood big budget action flicks. You could almost divide movies into two eras: pre-Matrix and post-Matrix. It was so ground breaking at the time, and it's interesting to see just how many filming techniques, action shots, and more have come from this one movie. Sure, even it was derivative of other things the Wachowskis drew inspiration from (namely anime and kung fu movies), BUT they were certainly a major factor in bringing it all to the forefront of Hollywood film production.

It was really a ton of fun to watch. Effects surprisingly hold up great, even if some of the CGI seems a bid dated, a lot of the sequences are still pretty jaw-dropping. And even though the 90s-era components could have dated it, they didn't due to the convenient plot device of the Matrix being a re-creation of a particular time in human history, ie the 90s.

Was hilarious going from Bill & Ted's Great Adventure right before spinning up the Matrix. Keanu was SO young back then I sometimes forget. Anyway, if you haven't checked it out in ages like me, you owe it to yourself to rewatch it. And if you HAVEN'T seen it, then WTF are you doing? Go watch it!!!

^^^ Agreed. The Matrix was pretty mind blowing when it came out. And it's not just the action sequences - it was the tone of the whole movie. It had the confidence to be moody, kind of dark, and fairly self serious, which was something you didn't really see in most of the big budget actions movies from that era.

Watched No Sudden Move last night. Pretty good. Requires some attention to follow the twists and turns. Which made it interesting, but ultimately it felt like a bunch of the twists lacked a foundation. A somewhat unexpected thing happens, but many times there isn't really a satisfying explanation of why the thing happened like it did. But regardless, it was enjoyable.

I bought a new budget surround sound system yesterday (finally upgraded from the monitor speakers) and watched Gunpowder Milkshake. Not as bone rattling as I would have hoped so I might need to watch a sci-fi space odyssey type film tonight.

If you want to test that new sound system I would recommend the best movie of the last 15 years, Mad Max: Fury Road.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I bought a new budget surround sound system yesterday (finally upgraded from the monitor speakers) and watched Gunpowder Milkshake. Not as bone rattling as I would have hoped so I might need to watch a sci-fi space odyssey type film tonight.
    Not sure how much of a genre junky you are, but these films all have killer sound design:
    Drive
    Only God Forgives
    Beyond The Black Rainbow
    Mandy
    Hereditary
    Baby Driver
    Atomic Blonde
    Arrival

fwiw, I turned GPMS off after 30-minutes...

Oh, the last film I watched was In The Earth. Watched it last night. Yammered about it here:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...65#post6369065

The opening scene of swordfish was always my favorite for putting a surround sound system to the test. Mediocre movie, but some great sound design.

The Full Monty

One of the living is such a badass tune. one of the great lost songs of the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    If you want to test that new sound system I would recommend the best movie of the last 15 years, Mad Max: Fury Road.
    Oh, Lord, yes. With Dolby Atmos? Woo wee! Also a fun version is the Black & Chrome edition. A HIGHLY recommended purchase for a very surreal Mad Max experience like no other.

Thumbs up

Yesterday I saw the movie Solstice. I don't want to comment on anything, but if you are tired of classic thrillers, I highly recommend it.

Moderator Edit: this ^^^ is a spambot. We should all ask ourselves why a spambot is promoting this movie.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 08-03-2021 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Thanks for reporting spambots!!

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Oh, Lord, yes. With Dolby Atmos? Woo wee! Also a fun version is the Black & Chrome edition. A HIGHLY recommended purchase for a very surreal Mad Max experience like no other.
    Thanks for the heads up on the B&C version, I didn’t know about this. Will be watching soon
    crab in my shoe mouth

Hi there! I’m a stupid algorithm designed to spam forums, but this forum reported me and now I’m banned. Also Blurred11s has been dispatched to pour Mountain Dew on my circuit board.
    Go Humans!
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 08-03-2021 at 08:21 AM.

What's the last movie you watched?

Gunpowder Milkshake should have been named Garbage Milkshake, just awful. However this was a pretty fun summer/popcorn movie, I actually thought Chris Evans was good in this, first time I can recall thinking that about him, guy is funny for real. Whoever played the super villain was funny as hell also. It’s on Netflix
    The Losers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSEM-hJF_vM
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the B&C version, I didn’t know about this. Will be watching soon
    Awesome! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Def gives the film a different vibe. They did a masterful job creating this version. You can tell a lot of TLC went into making it. Buy the Blu-Ray if you can still score a copy. Well worth it.