Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Seems like staged bullshit to me on that one.
    Yep, even in the video OP posted, he drops in with two poles but then suddenly is able to self-arrest with an ice axe and dangle from it. Seems he uses some creative editing to make it seem sketchier than it actually is, still pretty sick skiing though.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Yep, even in the video OP posted, he drops in with two poles but then suddenly is able to self-arrest with an ice axe and dangle from it. Seems he uses some creative editing to make it seem sketchier than it actually is, still pretty sick skiing though.
    Yeah I noticed that too. There's no staging his sketchy slide into that cooley. But they must've edited out him pulling out his ax to dig in.
    That said, he was incredibly comfortable after dropping the ski and getting one boot on the "ground". And then climbed up sans crampons or rope. I wouldve been frozen

dude is totally bonkers, but does have big balls. I agree with him putting himself at greater risk mostly for "instaviews", still sick to watch...

Gripped in a cooley

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    He also seems to get his pro ready just before he drops by unclicking a carabiner from his harness. Also why let one ski go and not the other or why not grab the first ski as it was being removed (besides being on a sickly steep slope).

I expect he was on a rope and it was partially staged.

What not to do.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Even staged, that entry and the absolutely necessity of his axe arrest certainly make me think that, if done enough times, at some point, that axe gonna hit a rock and the death slide is on.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Even staged, that entry and the absolutely necessity of his axe arrest certainly make me think that, if done enough times, at some point, that axe gonna hit a rock and the death slide is on.
    Not if he’s already anchored to a rope on top. That editing right as he drops is making me very suspicious.

Rewatching the video, and reading the Youtube comments and his replies about the slide and "arrest" at the top, it does seem like some of this was staged/scripted and certainly edited for dramatic effect.

Regardless, there's some pretty poor judgement portrayed by jumping into the couloir without checking it out first (by climbing up, or rapping down, or even flying the drone over it).

If I was a potential sponsor, I would not touch him with a 10 foot pole (or 2 foot stick). Don't want to promote this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Anyone else find the danger driven clickbait of that guys videos pretty gross? Honestly, looking at his vids/how blatantly dumb this mistake was I wouldn’t be shocked if that dude put himself in that situation on purpose.
    Isn't this just a skiing-focused extension of the issue with any clickbait? It has to be more and more extreme to get people to even open it up and watch it. Who's going to watch someone safely ski a big line with no drama when they can watch someone appear to almost die?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Rewatching the video, and reading the Youtube comments and his replies about the slide and "arrest" at the top, it does seem like some of this was staged/scripted and certainly edited for dramatic effect.

Regardless, there's some pretty poor judgement portrayed by jumping into the couloir without checking it out first (by climbing up, or rapping down, or even flying the drone over it).

If I was a potential sponsor, I would not touch him with a 10 foot pole (or 2 foot stick). Don't want to promote this kind of stuff.
    If that's the case, fuck that guy.

Staged. My money is firmly on:

1) He knew the snow conditions before dropping in.

2) No way in hell did they rap off of those twigs.

3) Etc.

Nobody's THAT fucking stupid!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    There is no way he dropped in with 2 poles > .00003 seconds instant death slide on ice > got his axe out to arrest > suddenly able to calmly stand there with one ski, no hand on the axe, no crampons.

Edit: Yeah just watched again. He is like an X-man character that has an ice-ax built into his arm that can deploy instantly while also transferring his left pole to his right hand in under a thousandth of a second? COOL! lol.

I actually think the twigs are meant as a joke - somewhat slyly letting on that this whole thing is a ridiculous farce.

Doug Coombs was known to rap off random objects like sticks, rolled up newspapers, or even a power bar. Yes, those Coombs stories almost certainly blend fact and fiction, and a bundle of sticks wouldn't be my pick, but in the right snow it will probably work fine.

I don't think this was staged or planned. I just think this guy has probably seen a big boost in views as he's emphasized his whole "Look how chill I am in this gnarly situation" routine. Then he started seeking out those situations. It's easier than telling a good story.

A few years back he was competing in freeride comps AND making his own films WHILE going to law school. Apparently he was going so hard he drove himself into a a pretty serious depression. So he has a history of overdoing things. And I think he's put himself there again. This difference is that his current path could easily kill him. I hope he has some friends, or some colleagues at Black Crows who will tell him to cut it out.

Well if his antics are not staged, it's only a matter of (not that much) time, before he gets snuffed.

Nothing staged here:

or here

Seems like several of his recent videos also feature a partner who is not comfortable with conditions. Maybe with covid he was feeling added pressure to get a bunch of good footage in a short period.

I'd take newspaper roll over a 1/2" thick stick. Or just a belay from the dude above him. Stick snaps and that runner is chasing him down the cooley!
    I do think he slid w/ poles, stopped himself, then got his axe out. And they just edited the time between slide stop and axe in snow.
    But he mustve slid further from when he first planted the axe - he was barely hanging on, hence trying to get some belay off his poles.
    Lots to think on, but I'd happily lose both skis if I could! Eeek

Yeah, his line and speed in the "gnarliest thing" vid is pretty ridiculous. "This is scary." 4-3-2-1... Check-up turn, then just hauls ass

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Doug Coombs was known to rap off random objects like sticks, rolled up newspapers, or even a power bar. Yes, those Coombs stories almost certainly blend fact and fiction, and a bundle of sticks wouldn't be my pick,
    He told me over a beer after skiing with a client that they did seven rappels on a route and he said used all kinds of things that day, including sticks. I also saw him grab a chunk of construction wood siding & ram it in his pack, (at the bottom of the Telepherique).

In the video, when those guys grab the stick, I figured if they double that up and buried it right, it would work fine.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

that one chick is ripped - so's the other
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Weird decisionmaking in that video.

I'd say this holds up compared to Cody's gear vid. Yeah sure it's a Norrona and Black Crows ad, but whaddaya expect?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    He told me over a beer after skiing with a client that they did seven rappels on a route and he said used all kinds of things that day, including sticks. I also saw him grab a chunk of construction wood siding & ram it in his pack, (at the bottom of the Telepherique).

In the video, when those guys grab the stick, I figured if they double that up and buried it right, it would work fine.
    They did exactly that least from what I saw

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This. I'd have grabbed a few more and prefered to have them be longer but the buried stick deadman is not a horrible option given the right now conditions. Now on top of a couloir with windblown snow over ice and a bunch of rocks there are 12 better options but hey, not as gnarbro extreme to get lowered by your partner.
    Dude is an exceptionally solid skier who comes off as a complete kook surrounded by people who seem like they shouldn't and don't necessarily want to be there.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Dropping in with poles (no ax)
    Name:  edit-seq-1.png
Views: 1601
Size:  174.5 KB

Slid out (still w/ poles)
    Name:  edit-seq-2.png
Views: 1561
Size:  50.0 KB

Cut to ax in snow (and shot of both poles in lower hand punching in)
    Name:  edit-seq-3.png
Views: 1589
Size:  382.4 KB

Cut back to overview & he's further down & hanging by one hand

Name:  edit-seq-4.png
Views: 996
Size:  166.5 KB

I doubt he's losing sponsors over his creative editing
    He certainly got me to click more than once