New 29'er wheels

Hi

Currently on a Canyon Strive CF8.0. It came stock with Reynold 309 tr-wheels. The rims are fine, but the rear hub broke in spectacular fashion this summer and Reynolds warranty response wasn't that impressive. Finally recieved new wheels, with the TRS-hub.

The thing is that both the TR and the TRS hubs seem to have a bad rep and Reynolds warranty response also seems to be lacking somewhat (maybe COVID-related?). This summer I lost 5 weeks of biking, and I want to reduce the chances of that happening againg.

Therefore I'm considering putting the Reynolds wheels away until I'm selling the bike, and buying a different set instead. The Reynolds wheels are pretty expensive, too expensive compared to the rest of the bike (?), so I'm looking at cheaper alternatives.

- Alu/carbon, doesn't have to be the stiffest.
    - Needs to be pretty durable, but I'm very rarely at a bike park, and ride more techy medium speed stuff, than flowy high-speed. Not much air, lots of rock gardens and roots.
    - The Reynolds wheels are pretty light at 1630g. For the new pair I'm setting the limit at 1900g.
    - Reasonably quick engagement. I do a fair bit of technical climbing. I don't mind free-wheel buzzing.
    - XD-compatible, boost, and if possible centre-lock.
    - Not really interested in anything far above 30mm.

Considering the following per now. Looking for feedback or suggestions. All are alu, since that seems to be the easiest way to cut cost.

HUNT Trail Wide
    Race Face Turbine R
    Newmen Evolution SL A.30

Anybody with time on either?

I got an industry bro who bought himself a nice set of i9 carbon rims, he buys a new bike wraps the frame, puts the i9 wheels on the bike

After 20 rides he puts the still virgin original wheel set back on the wrapped bike, it all looks really good so he gets top dollar,

he buys another top end bike, does the same thing and it doesnt really cost him anymore money
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.notubes.com/arch-mk3-wheelset?

I have had VERY good luck with the stans hubs. Rims hold up and set up tubeless well. normal J bend spokes and 32 hole rim is easy to find parts for. Hubs are swapable for other "sizes" I know a few big gorillas that seems to blow them up, but I think they break everything?

Personally I'd build a rear wheel with a DT swiss 350 or 240 hub and your choice of rim/spokes. Or a built wheel if you find a good option. I seldom have problems with front hubs so would just run what it came with there.

I had a rear hub on a Reynolds 309 fail on me also. Reynolds was super good for me to work with and got me back on the trail with 24 hours by finding a wheel at a local shop in Phoenix that I was able to just go and grab. I was very impressed.

Not sure if it's going to happen again, but I have a bit over 800 miles on them this year and they are going strong. If the hub goes out I'm going to do what Evdog suggested and have the rear wheel rebuilt.

Reynolds let me keep the old wheel so I sent it off and had it built up with a matching rim to upgrade my wife's wheels. The rims are great and I would think for the money rebuilding your current rear wheel might be the ticket over the winter. Jeep
    Heck, I'd probably even buy the rear hub and spokes as a backup if you end up selling them.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

stumbled across these other day, basically what i would build from scratch but already done for you: dt swiss xm 1501 spline one 25mm 29er boost - $750
    https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ss-29-wheelset

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got an industry bro who bought himself a nice set of i9 carbon rims, he buys a new bike wraps the frame, puts the i9 wheels on the bike

After 20 rides he puts the still virgin original wheel set back on the wrapped bike, it all looks really good so he gets top dollar,

he buys another top end bike, does the same thing and it doesnt really cost him anymore money
    Yeah, but I don't have access to industry deals, and by the time I sell a bike the rest will be a bit worn anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    https://www.notubes.com/arch-mk3-wheelset?

I have had VERY good luck with the stans hubs. Rims hold up and set up tubeless well. normal J bend spokes and 32 hole rim is easy to find parts for. Hubs are swapable for other "sizes" I know a few big gorillas that seems to blow them up, but I think they break everything?
    Ok, thanks. I had the Flow MK3 on my list. Didn't mention them since they are slightly heavier than the others. The Arch is a bit narrow, byt the Flow @29mm is absolutely an option. Biggest pro is that I can order them built from a shop in town....easier warranty if something happens, and I get my centerlock-wish fullfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I had a rear hub on a Reynolds 309 fail on me also. Reynolds was super good for me to work with and got me back on the trail with 24 hours by finding a wheel at a local shop in Phoenix that I was able to just go and grab. I was very impressed.

Not sure if it's going to happen again, but I have a bit over 800 miles on them this year and they are going strong. If the hub goes out I'm going to do what Evdog suggested and have the rear wheel rebuilt.

Reynolds let me keep the old wheel so I sent it off and had it built up with a matching rim to upgrade my wife's wheels. The rims are great and I would think for the money rebuilding your current rear wheel might be the ticket over the winter. Jeep
    Heck, I'd probably even buy the rear hub and spokes as a backup if you end up selling them.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    The importer was super nice, it was just that Reynold took their sweet time getting back to him + sending the new wheel. But as I mentioned, might be Covid-related.

I'm in Norway, so not an option In addition; regardless of Reynolds and what-not. I think I'd like to keep a spare set of wheels to minimize chances of down time next year

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    stumbled across these other day, basically what i would build from scratch but already done for you: dt swiss xm 1501 spline one 25mm 29er boost - $750
    https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ss-29-wheelset
    Too narrow.